Trudeau Is Going To Bury Us In Debt

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
There are mountains of information available on the costs of ignoring wealth inequality and I'd be happy to point you and some others here in the right direction to learn more about it, but seriously I fear an important ingredient is missing from the mix here, that being an open mind. Looking off your porch counting cars in what is likely not a neighbourhood where people are struggling to make ends meet is a limited view at best. Yes, we in Canada are more fortunate than a lot, but that doesn't mean there's no room for improvement, and that mean improvement for all, not just a few.
Certainly there is room for improvement , however I have been listening to the same argument about the evil corporations and the one percent for fifty years , the whine never changes , tax the shit out of them . Shit the government has proven they are not good money managers , what makes you think they would put extra taxes to anything positive ? Other then the U.S. and Canada what country allows immigrants to come and become millionaires within a generation ? The poorest Canadian lives the highlife compared to most of the world .

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
There are mountains of information available on the costs of ignoring wealth inequality and I'd be happy to point you and some others here in the right direction to learn more about it, but seriously I fear an important ingredient is missing from the mix here, that being an open mind. Looking off your porch counting cars in what is likely not a neighbourhood where people are struggling to make ends meet is a limited view at best. Yes, we in Canada are more fortunate than a lot, but that doesn't mean there's no room for improvement, and that mean improvement for all, not just a few.
The pursuit of wealth is the engine that feeds our lifestyle , it is the impetus for doing faster better smarter . The top of the food chain is open , if you want it go get it , sitting around whining that some joker has more is simple jealousy .

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC
The pursuit of wealth is the engine that feeds our lifestyle , it is the impetus for doing faster better smarter . The top of the food chain is open , if you want it go get it , sitting around whining that some joker has more is simple jealousy .
That would be the "If you're not rich you're either stupid or lazy" argument, which is total bullshit once you realize that our current system is totally skewed in favour of those who are rich to start with. As I pointed out above, if you're the type who's default position is to argue against a greater level of equality in our distribution of wealth in our economy, then any time I could spend trying to help you gain a deeper level of understanding would be time wasted wouldn't it ?

Reactions: Tecumsehsbones

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
That would be the "If you're not rich you're either stupid or lazy" argument, which is total bullshit once you realize that our current system is totally skewed in favour of those who are rich to start with. As I pointed out above, if you're the type who's default position is to argue against a greater level of equality in our distribution of wealth in our economy, then any time I could spend trying to help you gain a deeper level of understanding would be time wasted wouldn't it ?
Most of the 1% got there the old-fashioned way. . . by falling out of the right vagina.

Fact is most folk don't want to be rich. They want to make enough money to have all they need and some of what they want.

I'd argue wanting more'n that means a body needs to do a "preventive maintenance inspection" on his thinking tackle.

Reactions: Serryah

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC
Most of the 1% got there the old-fashioned way. . . by falling out of the right vagina.

Fact is most folk don't want to be rich. They want to make enough money to have all they need and some of what they want.

I'd argue wanting more'n that means a body needs to do a "preventive maintenance inspection" on his thinking tackle.
In comparison to many parts of the world, pgs is right, Canadians are pretty well off. But now more than ever people, especially young families, are being locked out of things we took for granted fifty years ago, that some hard work and discipline could get you into to comfortable life with a couple of extra bucks around come summer time.

It's funny that pgs mentioned a fifty year time frame in which the "evil corporations" have garnered a lot of bad press. Fifty years ago is also about the same time much of the world embraced neoliberal economics, also called Reaganomics or Thatcherism. Lots of good reading there, just google "Neoliberalism" and sit back for a bit. "Evil" is not the word I would choose, but 1970ish was about the time the corporate sector embraced self-interest and decided that any level of social responsibility and community participation was just too darned expensive. It's worth noting that the more progressive corporate citizens today have realized that investing in the social well-being of their employees pays off very well in comparison to reducing them to a number on a balance sheet.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Canadians are pretty well off. But now more than ever people, especially young families, are being locked out of things we took for granted fifty years ago, that some hard work and discipline could get you into to comfortable life with a couple of extra bucks around come summer time.

It's funny that pgs mentioned a fifty year time frame in which the "evil corporations" have garnered a lot of bad press. Fifty years ago is also about the same time much of the world embraced neoliberal economics, also called Reaganomics or Thatcherism. Lots of good reading there, just google "Neoliberalism" and sit back for a bit. "Evil" is not the word I would choose, but 1970ish was about the time the corporate sector embraced self-interest and decided that any level of social responsibility and community participation was just too darned expensive. It's worth noting that the more progressive corporate citizens today have realized that investing in the social well-being of their employees pays off very well in comparison to reducing them to a number on a balance sheet.
Canadians as a country are, indeed, pretty well off. And I'd say that "now in more'n 75 years or so, people are being locked out of things most folk took for granted back then." Before WWII, socio-economic mobility was pretty limited.

A corporation is a tool, nothing more, nothing less. It tends to be used according to the values and opinions of the director/officer class. Which is overwhelmingly White, male, nominally-Christian, wealthy, and favors the status quo over significant, systemic change.

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC
Canadians as a country are, indeed, pretty well off. And I'd say that "now in more'n 75 years or so, people are being locked out of things most folk took for granted back then." Before WWII, socio-economic mobility was pretty limited.

A corporation is a tool, nothing more, nothing less. It tends to be used according to the values and opinions of the director/officer class. Which is overwhelmingly White, male, nominally-Christian, wealthy, and favors the status quo over significant, systemic change.
Exactly. The post-war industrial boom turned things around for the middle class. Both Canada and the US had been mobilized for the war effort resulting in a booming economy which carried on for more than two decades after the end of the war, and a corresponding surge in prosperity for working class families. 1970ish that started to decline, governments legislated away the strength of trade unions and jobs were exported to take advantage of cheap offshore labour. Now we have rule by financial privilege, there to service themselves only.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Probably would as I am a glass half full kinda guy and you are a glass half empty kind of guy . But why hasn’t your message changed in fifty years ? Is it worse now ? Why can a Vietnamese guy that spoke little English flee his country penniless on a boat and end up in Canada turn himself into a multi millionaire , send his children to university for engineering and see them all on the way to millionaire status ? Why can’t you ? When I met him in 1981 he had nothing but his brain and body , lunch was a bowl of rice and a red pepper.

Reactions: petros

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Not all wealthy people came from wealth . 3 out of 6 in my white trash family are independently wealthy why not you ?

Reactions: petros

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
In comparison to many parts of the world, pgs is right, Canadians are pretty well off. But now more than ever people, especially young families, are being locked out of things we took for granted fifty years ago, that some hard work and discipline could get you into to comfortable life with a couple of extra bucks around come summer time.

Tell that to employees of CNN + .

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Probably would as I am a glass half full kinda guy and you are a glass half empty kind of guy . But why hasn’t your message changed in fifty years ? Is it worse now ? Why can a Vietnamese guy that spoke little English flee his country penniless on a boat and end up in Canada turn himself into a multi millionaire , send his children to university for engineering and see them all on the way to millionaire status ? Why can’t you ? When I met him in 1981 he had nothing but his brain and body , lunch was a bowl of rice and a red pepper.
Because he was Catholic and joined the KofC secret society?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
As long as your accountant is reliable and honest, that's the best way to go. Can't tell you how many people had to declare bankruptcy because the "accountants" ran off with their money - silly fools gave signing authority to them which is a major no-no!!
I read your posts because I know you're sensible. :)

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC
Why can’t you ?
You seem to be assuming I'm speaking from a place of dissatisfaction with my own situation. That's not true, but it does betray some inability to see things from the "other" side. Property ownership and higher education are two instances where availability to those without considerable financial means are basically out of luck. I'm sure that your neighbourhood is full of self-made immigrant millionaires, but sadly a significant number of Canadians are feeling the pinch through no fault of their own, whether you can see it or not. Inequities in wealth distributions have effects that ripple though our society in the form of higher rates of health and social problems, lower levels of satisfaction and happiness, and even lower levels of economic growth when human capital is neglected for high end consumption.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
You seem to be assuming I'm speaking from a place of dissatisfaction with my own situation. That's not true, but it does betray some inability to see things from the "other" side. Property ownership and higher education are two instances where availability to those without considerable financial means are basically out of luck. I'm sure that your neighbourhood is full of self-made immigrant millionaires, but sadly a significant number of Canadians are feeling the pinch through no fault of their own, whether you can see it or not. Inequities in wealth distributions have effects that ripple though our society in the form of higher rates of health and social problems, lower levels of satisfaction and happiness, and even lower levels of economic growth when human capital is neglected for high end consumption.
The whole argument of "this guy started from nothing and is a millionaire, therefore everybody can be a millionaire" is so self-evidently retarded that it needs no refutation.

• Love
Reactions: Serryah

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Yet we have attained the highest standard of living in the history of man . The history of man is also the history of migration , like they say go where the work is , didn’t you ?

Reactions: Dixie Cup

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
The whole argument of "this guy started from nothing and is a millionaire, therefore everybody can be a millionaire" is so self-evidently retarded that it needs no refutation.
Tell us your hard luck rags to riches story again .

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC
Yet we have attained the highest standard of living in the history of man . The history of man is also the history of migration , like they say go where the work is , didn’t you ?

There are some basic imbalances that need attention. Minimum wage should support a minimum standard of living for starters, and wages should climb at least in pace with rises in the cost of living. The "be happy with what you have" line doesn't hold water if there are people going without the basics that many take for granted through no fault of their own.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
There are some basic imbalances that need attention. Minimum wage should support a minimum standard of living for starters, and wages should climb at least in pace with rises in the cost of living. The "be happy with what you have" line doesn't hold water if there are people going without the basics that many take for granted through no fault of their own.
That's so 20th-century conservative. 21st century conservatism is "Fuck you, Jack. Don't have money? Die. Now get outta my way so I can get my fraudulent disability cheque. I got an appointment with my oxy dealer. . . um. . . doctor."