Trudeau Apologizes

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I am sorry. From the bottom of my heart. Really. Things haven’t been great lately. And for that I do apologize.

I’m sorry I created a federal holiday for reconciliation then went and spent part of it vacationing. I’m sorry I didn’t go to Kelowna instead. I’m sorry my itinerary said I would be in “private meetings” in Ottawa and didn’t mention my flight to Tofino.

I’m especially sorry this sojourn attracted national attention. Because—cough-fishwrap-cough—we should all have been focusing on reconciliation. So what I’m sorry about, most of all, is that you seized on my trip rather than spending the day in quiet reflection.

The thing is, I keep saying “sorry” over and over and over. But what makes me feel the sorriest is how my apologies never seem to satisfy you. Even when I use all the right words.

Because, you know, on behalf of Canada, and indeed all Canadians, I have publicly apologized for some really important things.

You may recall some of my many apologies: I was sorry about the Komagata Maru. And about the MS St. Louis. I apologized to Italian-Canadians. I apologized to LGBTQ Canadians. I apologized—more than once, to really drive home the point—to Indigenous survivors of residential schools. And I apologized better than Harper did.

Not only have I been willing to take these historical wrongs on my shoulders, but I have also been willing to say I am sorry about my own innocent mistakes. This is the kind of magnanimity that Canadians deserve. But somehow it isn’t adequate, for you.

I lowered my chin regretfully in recognition of many things that you all decided to make a fuss about. To recap: I was apologetic about my elbow. I was sorry about the Aga Khan vacation. (Though it was actually really nice.) I was dismayed that the Creston reporter remembered events differently than I did.

I was remorseful about the blackface incidents, and the fact I couldn’t say how many there had been. For God’s sake, I even admitted a mistake, at least the mistake you all seemed to think I made, when it came to WE Charity. We—I mean, I—I was so expressively sorry about that. Couldn’t you tell?

1633411733096.jpeg

Even after all these apologies, it’s like you’re begging for more. So I’m telling you again. I’m saying that I’m sorry. I’m really, mournfully sorry! I’ve learned my lesson! Okay? Are we done now? How is this not working?

You might think that I should be sorry for not pursuing umpteen other Truth and Reconciliation Commission calls to action, instead of picking the very easiest one to implement—a federal statutory holiday—and then not even observing it myself. Fine, sorry, okay? I’m working on it. Just—sometimes I work on it from Tofino.

I wish you would stop focusing on the boil water advisories and start focusing on how earnest my apologies have been.

1633413218029.jpeg

You might think I should be sorry for calling an election in the midst of the pandemic, because my numbers looked good for a majority government. You might think I should apologize for declaring victory when my party didn’t get the most support, when such a small share of the population actually wanted me in charge.

1633412239365.jpeg

Well, look, sorry, I guess. But it’s really not my fault that our votes were so efficient.

You might think that I should be sorry for not pursuing umpteen other Truth and Reconciliation Commission calls to action, instead of picking the very easiest one to implement—a federal statutory holiday—and then not even observing it myself. Fine, sorry, okay? I’m working on it. Just—sometimes I work on it from Tofino. I wish you would stop focusing on the boil water advisories and start focusing on how earnest my apologies have been.

So you say I should apologize for failing to implement electoral reform. (Though some of you who would’ve said so a year ago are biting your tongues now. Thanks, Max.) You say I should regret disappointing you on myriad other promises, too. Like forgetting about pharmacare. Or helping a brother out at SNC-Lavalin. I’m really sorry you feel that way, okay? I truly apologize for how hard it is to govern.

Oh, and now you think I should regret not surrounding myself with “more critical staff”? You think I should regret not bringing “new blood” into my office? People who’d give me a heads up when my vacation habits were going to look fishy to the—I’ll just go ahead and say it—fishwrap press? At least then I’d be safe rather than sorry, right?

Well, MY SINCEREST APOLOGIES. See, I really like my friends. They never ask me to say sorry in private. Love means never having to. I’m just sorry you don’t love me like they do. I’m just sorry that “sorry” never seems to be enough.

Last edited:

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
I am sorry. From the bottom of my heart. Really. Things haven’t been great lately. And for that I do apologize.

I’m sorry I created a federal holiday for reconciliation then went and spent part of it vacationing. I’m sorry I didn’t go to Kelowna instead. I’m sorry my itinerary said I would be in “private meetings” in Ottawa and didn’t mention my flight to Tofino.

I’m especially sorry this sojourn attracted national attention. Because—cough-fishwrap-cough—we should all have been focusing on reconciliation. So what I’m sorry about, most of all, is that you seized on my trip rather than spending the day in quiet reflection.

The thing is, I keep saying “sorry” over and over and over. But what makes me feel the sorriest is how my apologies never seem to satisfy you. Even when I use all the right words.

Because, you know, on behalf of Canada, and indeed all Canadians, I have publicly apologized for some really important things.

You may recall some of my many apologies: I was sorry about the Komagata Maru. And about the MS St. Louis. I apologized to Italian-Canadians. I apologized to LGBTQ Canadians. I apologized—more than once, to really drive home the point—to Indigenous survivors of residential schools. And I apologized better than Harper did.

Not only have I been willing to take these historical wrongs on my shoulders, but I have also been willing to say I am sorry about my own innocent mistakes. This is the kind of magnanimity that Canadians deserve. But somehow it isn’t adequate, for you.

I lowered my chin regretfully in recognition of many things that you all decided to make a fuss about. To recap: I was apologetic about my elbow. I was sorry about the Aga Khan vacation. (Though it was actually really nice.) I was dismayed that the Creston reporter remembered events differently than I did.

I was remorseful about the blackface incidents, and the fact I couldn’t say how many there had been. For God’s sake, I even admitted a mistake, at least the mistake you all seemed to think I made, when it came to WE Charity. We—I mean, I—I was so expressively sorry about that. Couldn’t you tell?

View attachment 10354

Even after all these apologies, it’s like you’re begging for more. So I’m telling you again. I’m saying that I’m sorry. I’m really, mournfully sorry! I’ve learned my lesson! Okay? Are we done now? How is this not working?

You might think that I should be sorry for not pursuing umpteen other Truth and Reconciliation Commission calls to action, instead of picking the very easiest one to implement—a federal statutory holiday—and then not even observing it myself. Fine, sorry, okay? I’m working on it. Just—sometimes I work on it from Tofino.

I wish you would stop focusing on the boil water advisories and start focusing on how earnest my apologies have been.

View attachment 10356

You might think I should be sorry for calling an election in the midst of the pandemic, because my numbers looked good for a majority government. You might think I should apologize for declaring victory when my party didn’t get the most support, when such a small share of the population actually wanted me in charge.

View attachment 10355

Well, look, sorry, I guess. But it’s really not my fault that our votes were so efficient.

You might think that I should be sorry for not pursuing umpteen other Truth and Reconciliation Commission calls to action, instead of picking the very easiest one to implement—a federal statutory holiday—and then not even observing it myself. Fine, sorry, okay? I’m working on it. Just—sometimes I work on it from Tofino. I wish you would stop focusing on the boil water advisories and start focusing on how earnest my apologies have been.

So you say I should apologize for failing to implement electoral reform. (Though some of you who would’ve said so a year ago are biting your tongues now. Thanks, Max.) You say I should regret disappointing you on myriad other promises, too. Like forgetting about pharmacare. Or helping a brother out at SNC-Lavalin. I’m really sorry you feel that way, okay? I truly apologize for how hard it is to govern.

Oh, and now you think I should regret not surrounding myself with “more critical staff”? You think I should regret not bringing “new blood” into my office? People who’d give me a heads up when my vacation habits were going to look fishy to the—I’ll just go ahead and say it—fishwrap press? At least then I’d be safe rather than sorry, right?

Well, MY SINCEREST APOLOGIES. See, I really like my friends. They never ask me to say sorry in private. Love means never having to. I’m just sorry you don’t love me like they do. I’m just sorry that “sorry” never seems to be enough.

hes a 'sorry' excuse for a politician/person. ;)

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan

Trudeau apologizes after telling First Nations mercury poisoning protester, ‘Thank you for your donation’​

It’s a (relatively) old apology but significant in light of recent apologies in the same theme.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is apologizing for what critics called his “smug” response to protesters who hoped to draw his attention to mercury contamination in the First Nation communities of Grassy Narrows and Wabaseemoong during a Liberal fundraiser in Toronto on Wednesday night.

According to a video posted to Twitter that showed Trudeau delivering a speech during the Laurier Club event at the luxury Omni King Edward Hotel, Trudeau responded to protesters by saying repeatedly, “Thank you for your donation.”

(Laurier Club members are considered high-end Liberal donors who must contribute a minimum of $1,500 in order to join the ranks.)

Trudeau was asked about the response by reporters, “From time to time I’m in situations where people are expressing concerns or protesting a particular thing and I always try to be respectful and engage with them in a positive way,” he said.

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Now this is more like it

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Can you smell an apology coming “that we can all learn from” ???

Chahal hopes “we can move forward,” a locution that suggests he will fit right into Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s cabinet in due course. (He forgot the part of the Trudeau formula where he says his foul-up is an opportunity for us all to reflect, but he is still new to the federal scene.)

The rest at the above link.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Future apology…that we can all learn from… in the spirit of openness & transparency:
OTTAWA -- An organization that received $5.8 million from the federal government to help job seekers from under-represented communities is refusing to say if it paid the prime minister’s mother, Margaret Trudeau, to speak at an event it held this month.

The organization would not say how much, if anything, it paid Margaret Trudeau to participate in the symposium but denied there was a relationship between the event and the government funding.

Smells familiar? WE didn’t see this coming.

Reactions: taxslave and petros

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Future apology…that we can all learn from… in the spirit of openness & transparency:
OTTAWA -- An organization that received $5.8 million from the federal government to help job seekers from under-represented communities is refusing to say if it paid the prime minister’s mother, Margaret Trudeau, to speak at an event it held this month.

The organization would not say how much, if anything, it paid Margaret Trudeau to participate in the symposium but denied there was a relationship between the event and the government funding.

Smells familiar? WE didn’t see this coming.
What good is a gravy train if you can’t use it ?

Reactions: taxslave

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Trudeau, if this is another tax dollars to a ‘charity’ in exchange for a kickback washed through a family member, would be running some kind’a train on the taxpayers.
The pure definition of the gravy train . Mike Duffy spent his whole career getting a seat on it and is still there .

Reactions: taxslave

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I smell another apology coming, just not sure when or directed at whom, but I’m sure it’ll be touted as a lesson we can all learn from:
Justin Trudeau “hinted” that a resolution was imminent this week when he said the government is “working” with Indigenous groups to find ways to raise and then lower the flag next week?

Today is Friday Nov 5th, & Remembrance Day is Thursday Nov 11th….so six days away, & COP26 in Glasgow Scotland runs until Nov 12th….

“I am confident that the conversations with Indigenous leadership on making sure we lower the flag again on November 11 will come to the right solution,” the prime minister said in a press conference at the COP26 climate conference in Glasgow on Tuesday.

Trudeau told reporters during the recent election campaign that flags would remain at half-mast “until it is clear that Indigenous peoples are happy to raise them again.”

That was interpreted as a sign that Indigenous communities would have to give consent to the federal government before the flags were raised. But the government source said that is not the case. “We are NOT seeking unanimous consent,” the source said.

Instead, Ottawa is in the process of informing Indigenous leaders like the national chief of the Assembly of First Nations, RoseAnne Archibald, regional chiefs and the Survivors Circle of the National Centre for Truth and Reconciliation so that they are not “blind-sided.”

Grand Chief Stewart Phillip, president of the Union of B.C. Indian Chiefs, said residential school survivors should play a part in deciding whether to raise the flag.

…..and the clock is ticking….factor out the weekend, and Remembrance Day itself as the flag is supposedly going to be lowered (for that day)…but include today and Monday (8th) to Wednesday (10th), that gives four days for the flag to be raised before it’s lowered again.

1) Which day will it go up (?) if any at all?
2) Who will Justin Trudeau apologize to this time?
3) what lesson are we all supposed to learn from this, this time?
4) Is this another Sunday announcement?