Thoughts of God Make Us Slackers, Study Suggests

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States

Here is a thought: "If the students believe that God controls their destiny, trying to be better isn't going to help them actually be better, resulting in less effort. This entire thought process seems to be unconscious, but just the presence of these God-conjuring words or images could alter behavior."

Thoughts of God Make Us Slackers, Study Suggests - Yahoo! News

As for my opinion, only a somebody very weak would throw up their hands and leave something to fate or a deity if they could do something positive about it. Look, if all else fails you can always fall back on anything that helps you through the problem.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
The researchers think the lack of effort in the "religious-primed" group could be dictated by a belief that fate is in God's hands. If the students believe that God controls their destiny, trying to be better isn't going to help them actually be better, resulting in less effort. This entire thought process seems to be unconscious, but just the presence of these God-conjuring words or images could alter behavior.
and the highlighted words are THE most important part of their "results".

nitrox

Aug 15, 2009
Northern Michigan

Here is a thought: "If the students believe that God controls their destiny, trying to be better isn't going to help them actually be better, resulting in less effort. This entire thought process seems to be unconscious, but just the presence of these God-conjuring words or images could alter behavior."

Thoughts of God Make Us Slackers, Study Suggests - Yahoo! News

As for my opinion, only a somebody very weak would throw up their hands and leave something to fate or a deity if they could do something positive about it. Look, if all else fails you can always fall back on anything that helps you through the problem.
The study and the test sounded stupid to me anyway. There is to much proof the other way, that those who put God first in there lives tend to be high achievers.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
The study and the test sounded stupid to me anyway. There is to much proof the other way, that those who put God first in there lives tend to be high achievers.
Higher achievers of what? What are they achieving and why? Your blanket statement is ludicrous at best and meaningless at worst. A belief in god (which one?) has nothing to do with anything in academic or scientific circles. Although, a belief in the new god, MONEY, does cause over achievement in some circles, but may leave the achiever bereft spiritually.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
No, I think you are just bored. This could explain why you keep resurrecting negro threads.

LoL, think you meant necro.. white boy

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Those words are also used in discussions of religions and gods, though. The difference is that research is based upon evidence and religions base their thing on thought and emotion.

That particular study and it's conclusions are NOT based on any kind of "evidence", hence the use of the words I highlighted 6 months ago.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
and the highlighted words are THE most important part of their "results".

The alternative to a causal relation is that people who are lazy are more likely to believe in God.
That particular study and it's conclusions are NOT based on any kind of "evidence", hence the use of the words I highlighted 6 months ago.

Not sure what you mean by this, but in her paper she explains her methodology, and she certainly did perform experiments. http://artsweb.uwaterloo.ca/~klaurin/pubs/LaurinKayFitzsimonsGM2012.pdf

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
lol Youi just stated your impression of what were the most important aspects.
Research follows evidence and theory postulates what the evidence is saying. Did you read the actual research paper to see what the researchers based their observations on?

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Like I said, the use of the words "think", "could" and "seems" do not make for a definitive conclusion of any kind.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
The alternative to a causal relation is that people who are lazy are more likely to believe in God.

Not sure what you mean by this, but in her paper she explains her methodology, and she certainly did perform experiments. http://artsweb.uwaterloo.ca/~klaurin/pubs/LaurinKayFitzsimonsGM2012.pdf

I'm a big fan of RTFP too, or Read The Fukcing Paper.

Like I said, the use of the words "think", "could" and "seems" do not make for a definitive conclusion of any kind.

Science is falsifiable. Her results, of which there were many, could be over-turned by future investigations. Could, seems, apparent, these are common words in a scientist's lexicon. Caveats abound.