The Woman King

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick

Did not go see it in theatre, but I will see it. It looks too good, and moreso the subject is too important, not to.

Think movies like this should be made mandatory for history lessons in high school for a number of reasons.

• Haha
Reactions: Jinentonix

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
Anyone who thinks a Hollywood movie of ANY sort should be made a 'mandatory history lesson' is beyond clueless. There has never been a hollywood movie that's a truly accurate historical depiction, (with the exception of "Midway" as is often noted and even that missed some critical details). And they're not supposed to be! It's entertainment.

And i love the whole "I didn't see it in the theatres because i wasn't interested but i'll watch it now, not because i'm interested but because i'm so woke and this is so "important"." thing. Yes yes, what a good little leftie, well done, here's your "i virtue signalled today" participation sticker and a cookie.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons

Did not go see it in theatre, but I will see it. It looks too good, and moreso the subject is too important, not to.

Think movies like this should be made mandatory for history lessons in high school for a number of reasons.
You haven't seen it but think movies like this should be mandatory for history lessons in high school. Sure, if the subject is historical revisionism.

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
You haven't seen it but think movies like this should be mandatory for history lessons in high school. Sure, if the subject is historical revisionism.

Well considering I didn't explain why I thought it should be taught - I suppose I should have though, considering some people here - yeah, I do. It's not a documentary, lots of movies aren't. But there is enough things in this in the first 9 minutes that make it worth being something to bring up in a classroom and teach about, especially considering the subject is not something taught much about at all other than "it happened" (or depending on the state you live in now, it didn't).

Here's why, just for you, Jinny.

Despite historical INaccuracies (which can also be discussed), it discusses the slave trade still, and how it exploited the African populations. And how African nations themselves used it to their own advantages.

It DOES show women in a position of power and respect, something not seen often and would be a great discussion topic. That it shows BLACK women in that position makes it more important in the context of black history (yes, yes, I know, teaching Black history is bad).

It's a black centric, black focused movie. Considering the rarity of movies like it when compared to movies made by and for white people, it opens up another topic about representation, culture as it appears with entertainments and arts...

I'll amend; maybe not just taught in history classes, but in say a theatre arts class.

Then again, I also think recent movies like Till, Marvel's Black Panther (theatre arts only since it has no history in it really), The Harder They Fall (about black cowboys), 12 Years a Slave should also be taught, for various reasons.

I'm not saying it's something for little kids, but High School, grade 10 on? Stuff like this might actually get it through some heads...

Oh wait, I just realized, all this is the "Evils of CRT!" that paranoid people keep screaming about.

Now I get why you're against things like this being used as tools of discussion.

• Haha
Reactions: Taxslave2

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
Well considering I didn't explain why I thought it should be taught
It's a movie. That you haven't seen.

So the word "thought" really isn't appropriate here on your part.

The only thing we can say this movie 'shows' at this point is how ridiculous the left has become. Pathetic. "Oh look! It's got black people and a woman! It should be taught in school!!" At least watch the freakin' movie and read the histories first.

And just out of curiosity - perhaps you could explain why wearing dreadlocks is considered to be 'cultural appropriation' by the left but making 100 million (sad as that is for a movie) by stealing someone's history and telling your version of it isn't?

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004

At first, when I saw the title, I thought you were talking about THE King.

Thankfully, I was wrong and he's still a man.

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
matter of opinion.
Sort of. The king is always a man in that context, if it wasn't it would be "Queen'. There are no regal non binary pronouns yet. I suppose we should come up with some for future monarchs who don't indentify as cis-gender. Ummm..... Head biatch? That could be either. Supreme opinionated Person (SOP for short), Assigned Royalty At Birth? ARAB... no no, scratch that....

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
Wasn't Cleopatra a woman king (Pharoah) with a bunch of slaves?

Come to think of it she wasn't racist either she didn't care what color the slave was that she had whipped some may have even been black

Last edited:

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick

Yep.

Come to think of it she wasn't racist either she didn't care what color the slave was that she had whipped some may have even been black

Well considering her country is Egypt, she wasn't exactly "White" herself.

But Egypt and Slavery was a thing, yes.

And... this has what to do with this discussion?

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022

Queen of Egypt I think :) she was a ptolmaic ruler, so not Pharaoh.

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
A documented woman king not a fictional one
And there's many others - how about Boudicca who lead her people against the romans after they brutally mistreated her and her family? That was a pretty epic tale, would make a good movie or trilogy.

Or Queen Tomyris - the king of persia tried to marry her and ambushed her soldiers and tried to wipe them out, she regrouped and came back and led her army to wipe out his army, killed him, stuffed his head in a wine cask full of blood and sent it back to persia as a warning to anyone else who thought to bother her people. THAT'S an empowered woman!

There's a lot of others. But i guess white and asian queens didn't scratch all the intersectional check boxes. Well, at least they didn't try to re-write her as gay.