The weird, the wacky and strange news stories

55Mercury

rigid member
May 31, 2007
segue time! lol

nope, and no I haven't been under a rock only to emerge once a decade or so for the express purpose of posing rhetorical questions,

but wasn't this fun?

(I thought you knew)

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
segue time! lol

nope, and no I haven't been under a rock only to emerge once a decade or so for the express purpose of posing rhetorical questions,

but wasn't this fun?

(I thought you knew)
Of course I did. If you're fixing to scarper again, it's been a pleasure. Don't make it so long until next time.

By the way, I thought the "bouncing it off 60s space junk" was pretty clever. . .

Everybody's a damn critic.

55Mercury

rigid member
May 31, 2007
I guess I wasn't clear I been ignorin' y'all.

an' I'm apt to do it agin!

nothin personal see?

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
New England man has fingers, legs amputated after eating bad leftovers
Author of the article:Kevin Connor
Publishing date:Feb 23, 2022 • 14 hours ago • 1 minute read • Join the conversation
A 19-year-old man in New England suffered organ failure and had to have his legs and fingers amputated after eating a bad batch of leftovers.
A 19-year-old man in New England suffered organ failure and had to have his legs and fingers amputated after eating a bad batch of leftovers. PHOTO BY FILE PHOTO /Getty Images
Article content
A 19-year-old man in New England suffered organ failure and had to have his legs and fingers amputated after eating a bad batch of leftovers.

The case was documented in the New England Journal of Medicine (NEJM) in March 2021, but went viral recently after being fictionally illustrated on YouTube.

The NEJM said the man became ill about 20 hours after eating a rice, chicken, and lo mein meal left over from a restaurant.

He developed abdominal pain, nausea and had chest pains, shortness of breath, blurry vision among other symptoms.

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content

“Multiple episodes of emesis occurred, with vomitus that was either bilious or red-brown. The abdominal pain and vomiting were followed by the development of chills, generalized weakness, progressively worsening diffuse myalgias, chest pain, shortness of breath, headache, neck stiffness, and blurry vision,” The NEJM reported.

The man also experienced purplish discoloration of the skin and was eventually taken to the pediatric intensive care unit at Massachusetts General Hospital. There, he was treated for shock, organ failure, skin mottling and a “rapidly progressive reticular rash.”

According to to the NEJM researchers, the man’s friend who ate the same leftovers threw up once, but did not get as sick.

According to Newsweek, the hospitalized man “had only received one of three doses of meningococcal conjugate vaccine without a booster, and had also only had one dose of the serogroup B meningococcal vaccine out of two or three doses recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.”

kconnor@postmedia.com

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
New England man has fingers, legs amputated after eating bad leftovers
Author of the article:Kevin Connor
Publishing date:Feb 23, 2022 • 14 hours ago • 1 minute read • Join the conversation
A 19-year-old man in New England suffered organ failure and had to have his legs and fingers amputated after eating a bad batch of leftovers. PHOTO BY FILE PHOTO /Getty Images
Article content

The case was documented in the New England Journal of Medicine (NEJM) in March 2021, but went viral recently after being fictionally illustrated on YouTube.

The NEJM said the man became ill about 20 hours after eating a rice, chicken, and lo mein meal left over from a restaurant.

He developed abdominal pain, nausea and had chest pains, shortness of breath, blurry vision among other symptoms.

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content

“Multiple episodes of emesis occurred, with vomitus that was either bilious or red-brown. The abdominal pain and vomiting were followed by the development of chills, generalized weakness, progressively worsening diffuse myalgias, chest pain, shortness of breath, headache, neck stiffness, and blurry vision,” The NEJM reported.

The man also experienced purplish discoloration of the skin and was eventually taken to the pediatric intensive care unit at Massachusetts General Hospital. There, he was treated for shock, organ failure, skin mottling and a “rapidly progressive reticular rash.”

According to to the NEJM researchers, the man’s friend who ate the same leftovers threw up once, but did not get as sick.

According to Newsweek, the hospitalized man “had only received one of three doses of meningococcal conjugate vaccine without a booster, and had also only had one dose of the serogroup B meningococcal vaccine out of two or three doses recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.”

kconnor@postmedia.com
:eek:

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Bat's all folks -- killer spider munches on bats in the U.K.
Author of the article:postmedia News
Publishing date:Mar 03, 2022 • 1 week ago • 1 minute read • Join the conversation
You'd think a spider vs. a bat would be a mismatch, but the noble false widow actually takes out bats. The eight-legged spider was found eating a baby bat in the home of wildlife artist Ben Waddams in North Shropshire, England, according to the U.K. Sun.
You'd think a spider vs. a bat would be a mismatch, but the noble false widow actually takes out bats. The eight-legged spider was found eating a baby bat in the home of wildlife artist Ben Waddams in North Shropshire, England, according to the U.K. Sun. PHOTO BY SCREENGRAB /The Sun U.K.
Article content
You’d think a spider versus a bat would be a mismatch, but the noble false widow actually takes out bats.

Advertisement 2
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
The eight-legged spider was found eating a baby bat in the home of wildlife artist Ben Waddams in North Shropshire, England, according to the U.K. Sun.

It is believed to be a world first.

The man found several bats stuck in a spider’s web in his home.

The report said the young bat was completely immobilized with its limbs pinned to its body.

It was shrivelled and discoloured from the spider eating parts of it.

A second, much larger adult bat, was also captured and trapped in the web but it was still alive.

This bat was released after the discovery.

A study of the discovery, titled Webslinger Versus Dark Knight, was published by scientists from the National University of Ireland Galway in the international journal Ecosphere.

The spiders possess a fast-acting neurotoxic venom with a very similar composition to true black widows.
1647011913851.png

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Giant Jorō spiders could be heading north
Publishing date:Mar 10, 2022 • 17 hours ago • 1 minute read • Join the conversation
Large spiders known as Jorō spiders are now in North America, according to a study.
Large spiders known as Jorō spiders are now in North America, according to a study. PHOTO BY SCREENGRAB /CNN
Article content
Large spiders known as Jorō spiders are now in North America, according to a study.

The journal Physiological Entomology said Jorō spiders or Trichonephila clavata, can grow up to four inches (10 centimeters) in length — about the size of the palm of your hand or larger — and they could spread into the northeastern United States.

The spiders have spindly legs and a black, yellow and gray-striped abdomen and are native to southeastern Asia, but spread to the southeastern United States over a decade ago. Now they are poised to head north to colder climates, according to one of the studies’ authors, CNN said.

Jorō spiders are not a threat, and there is no data to prove they are harmful to the environments where they’ve moved.

It is believed the spiders got to North America via a shipping container.
1647012143150.png

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
BUGGING OUT: Japan shop's sweet treats get infusion of insects
Publishing date:Jul 24, 2021 • 7 hours ago • 1 minute read • Join the conversation
Kanna Osawa is seen inside her sweets shop in Maebashi, Japan, on June 15, 2021.
Kanna Osawa is seen inside her sweets shop in Maebashi, Japan, on June 15, 2021. PHOTO BY JAPAN NEWS-YOMIURI /Washington Post
Article content
One sweet shop in Japan is on a mission to make insect-infused treats a food staple for future generations.

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
Kanna Osawa, who owns Torosha sweet shop in Maebashi, about 100 km northwest of Tokyo, wants to promote the potential of nutritious and environmentally friendly insects.

“I want our customers to eat insects and realize insects are an option for food, rather than to eat them (out of curiosity) just because they are insects,” the 25-year-old entrepreneur told the Washington Post.

Osawa, from Tokyo, grew up with a love of bugs despite living in the large metropolis. She was good at catching crickets and toads in her garden at home and at local parks.

After graduating from high school, Osawa got a job with a company that cleaned fish tanks.

When that didn’t pan out due to her aversion to commuting on crowded trains, she moved to Maebashi in 2017 where her boyfriend, Nobuhiro Honma, 26, lives.

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
She worked several jobs before the coronavirus pandemic hit last year. When stores began to close up shop, that was the spur for her to jump all in to start her own bug-based baked goods.

At first, Osawa thought of opening up a cafe with various insect specimens on display. But what pushed her to actually use bugs in her sweet treats was an exhibition on eating insects last fall that she attended.

Osawa then rented a tiny metal-roofed building and renovated the whole space herself. She purchased powdered crickets and used them as an ingredient in bread and other candied goods.

“I want to make (eating insects) so accessible they’ll be sold at a trendy goods store,” Osawa said.

Pound cakes and cookies are made by her boyfriend, and the store also stocks other goods from around Japan.

There’s also coffee that is infused with insects, along with accessories with insect motifs.

But for those who don’t want to munch on a bunch of insect-infused treats, the store also offers baked goods that do not use cricket powder.
Huh - I just read something recently that said that we'd no longer be eating meat but bugs were definitely on the table - likely by 2030! She's ahead of the times apparently.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Teacher advised to flee horror house after doll discovery
Author of the article:Liz Braun
Publishing date:May 16, 2022 • 18 hours ago • 1 minute read • 8 Comments

A teacher who moved house in Liverpool was taken aback to discover a rag doll sealed into a wall — with a note claiming the doll had killed previous owners.

Jonathan Lewis, 32, told the Liverpool Echo he was doing repairs in the house he’d just bought when he broke through a wall with a hammer to get a closer look at an electrical outlet.

Instead, he discovered an old child’s toy, a rag-doll with wool braids, sitting staring at him through the hole in the wall.

The doll had a menacing note tucked under it’s little fabric arm.

Lewis, 32, told the Liverpool Echo, the note held a grim message:

“Thank you for freeing me! My name is Emily. My original owners lived in this house in 1961.

“I didn’t like them so they had to go. All they did was sing and be merry. It was sickening.

“Stabbing was my choice of death for them so I hope you have knives.

“Hope you sleep well.”

Despite the date in the note, Lewis is quite sure the doll was put inside the wall during a kitchen renovation that happened four or five years ago — a building detail the real estate agent provided .

He has said that the paper the note was written on doesn’t look particularly aged at all.

And he finds the incident rather amusing.

He told the Echo that finding the doll gave him a laugh.

“I’ll be honest, I found the whole thing hilarious. I’d probably do the exact same thing,” he said.

His friends’ response was to tell him to put the house back on the market and flee at once.

Dangerous dolls have been a staple of the horror genre since Chucky arrived on the scene in the late 1980s.

More recently, Annabelle is the dolly who will scare the living daylights out of movie-goers, and the doll in The Boy is likewise thoroughly creepy.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Baby goat wows fans with 48-cm ears
"I got a special velvet harness or pouch to keep his ears, so he can run and play with ease without entangling his ears."

Author of the article:Reuters
Reuters
Syed Raza Hassan
Publishing date:Jul 08, 2022 • 1 day ago • 1 minute read • Join the conversation
Mohammad Hassan Narejo, 30, displays Simba, a one month and four days old kid goat with 48-cm long ears, at his house in Karachi, Pakistan July 8, 2022.
Mohammad Hassan Narejo, 30, displays Simba, a one month and four days old kid goat with 48-cm long ears, at his house in Karachi, Pakistan July 8, 2022. PHOTO BY AKHTAR SOOMRO /REUTERS
KARACHI — Some social media stars win their fame through their looks, others through their jokes. Simba the baby goat has won over the web with his astonishingly long ears — 48 cm and growing.

The tawny-coated kid goat has attracted thousands of followers on YouTube and other channels since he was born in Karachi, Pakistan on June 4.

His breeder, Mohammad Hassan Narejo, has sent Simba’s details to the Guinness Book of Records, though he is not sure it keeps track of such measurements. He is still waiting for an answer.

When Simba was born, his ears were 19-inches (48-cm) long. They have grown another three inches in just over a month and are showing no signs of stopping.

Simba, one month and four days old kid goat with 48-cm long ears, walks at his owner’s house in Karachi, Pakistan July 8, 2022. REUTERS/Akhtar Soomro
Simba, one month and four days old kid goat with 48-cm long ears, walks at his owner’s house in Karachi, Pakistan July 8, 2022. REUTERS/Akhtar Soomro
“I got a special velvet harness or pouch to keep his ears, so he can run and play with ease without entangling his ears,” Narejo told Reuters.

Narejo works in the air traffic control department of Karachi airport, but his passion is goat breeding, and he has great plans for Simba.

“I plan to preserve Simba’s semen for artificial insemination so if, God forbid, he is no more his breed can continue,” Narejo said.

He feeds Simba milk three times a day and has taken other steps to ensure his wellbeing – a black thread around the animal’s throat to ward off the evil eye.

“Evil eye can destroy a mountain. He is just a kid goat with celebrity status,” Narejo said.
PAKISTAN-GOAT_-1-scaled[1].jpgPAKISTAN-GOAT_-2-scaled-e1657282456952[1].jpg

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Flight attendant finds snake head in meal: Report
The airline said a “detailed investigation” has been launched.

Author of the article:Denette Wilford
Publishing date:Jul 25, 2022 • 18 hours ago • 1 minute read • Join the conversation
Decapitated snake head reportedly found in an in-flight meal on a SunExpress plane.
Decapitated snake head reportedly found in an in-flight meal on a SunExpress plane. PHOTO BY GAZETE DUVAR /YouTube

There’s been snakes on a plane, but what about snake heads?

A SunExpress flight attendant preparing to eat their in-flight meal last week claimed to have found a snake head in the tray.

The incident happened July 21 during a flight from Ankara, Turkey to Dusseldorf, Germany.

The crew member had already taken a few bites when the snake’s eyes caught their attention. Video was taken and shared with Turkish news site Gazete Duvar.

The slick reptile could be seen in the middle of the tray, sitting among the potatoes and other vegetables.

The company that provides the airline with its food, Sancak Inflight Services, denied that the snake head came from its kitchen due to strict protocols.

“We did not use any of the foreign objects that were supposedly in the food when cooking (due to the technical and thermal conditions used in the in-flight catering facilities),” the company said in a statement to flight site One Mile at a Time.

Sancak added that all the dishes are cooked at 280C, so the slimy snakehead, which appeared pretty fresh, must have been added after the meal came out of the oven.

The airline said a “detailed investigation” has been launched.

“It is our top priority that the services we provide to our guests on our aircraft are of the highest quality and that both our guests and employees have a comfortable and safe flight experience,” a SunExpress spokesperson said.

“The allegations and shares in the press regarding in-flight food service are absolutely unacceptable.”
1658840785714.png