The US doesn't take us seriously because we don't take ourselves seriously

Vbeacher

Electoral Member
Sep 9, 2013
Ottawa
Ivision has a column in today's Post that is mostly about defense, and our complete lack of interest in it, but I think you can extend that to a lot more.
In Ivison’s view of the US is pissed because we promise to help rebuild the northern warning system and yet Is doing nothing to accomplish that. He might’ve added that we also promised to increase our defense spending to 2% but this government has been almost defiant in refusing to even attempt to close the gap between what we spend and what we promised. But you might add to that we have a government which takes very little seriously other than virtue signaling. This government says we aren’t even a nation, and have no common identity (except for Quebec, of course, which IS a nation, and protecting its ‘unique’ culture is of paramount importance).

It refuses to stand up to China, and makes sanctimonious noises about other things which it then fails to follow through on like international human rights abuses, it is always a moralizing about things like the environment while failing to do much about it themselves. We rely on the Americans for our defense while sneering at them for their militaristic attitudes. We maintain a sense of smug superiority about our public healthcare system, but really it just rations care in a different way than theirs does by underfunding services to produce the western world’s longest wait times.

The Trudeau government spends all its time figuring out ways to further redistribute money and none on expanding the economy to make the country richer. Anyone can insult and threaten us (Saudi Arabia, the Philippines, China, Russia) and we don’t dare say boo in return.

What exactly is there to respect about this country today?

“We look at the Canada-U.S. relationship through the lens of trade and what’s in it for us. We don’t necessarily gain advantage from that,” said Mark Norman, the former vice-chief of the defence staff. He said he would not be surprised if Biden brings up Canada’s defence spending, this country’s position on China and NORAD renewal.
“The bottom line is that this recurring back and forth is likely wearing thin with our neighbours,” said Norman. “Canadians always underestimate how irritated Americans can get with us on this stuff,” said Leslie.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
What exactly is there to respect about this country ?
Not much , a good reason for so much separation talk in Alberta and Saskatchewan.

Hoof Hearted

House Member
Jul 23, 2016
Canadians were great fighters in the World Wars.

Today we are all a bunch of pussi...er...I mean...Peacekeepers. We even put an androgynous so-called...kinda....Army person on our Ten Dollar Bill. She's looking through binoculars which apparently is the new way us Canadians fight wars now. Might as well call it the Gladys Kravitz Army.

1637298471880.png

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Canadians were great fighters in the World Wars.

Today we are all a bunch of pussi...er...I mean...Peacekeepers. We even put an androgynous so-called...kinda....Army person on our Ten Dollar Bill. She's looking through binoculars which apparently is the new way us Canadians fight wars now. Might as well call it the Gladys Kravitz Army.

View attachment 10854
Hoofie. . . I speak as a soldier.

Ain't nothing wrong with peacekeepers. Watch the film The Siege of Jadotville.

Stay with us, brother. None of us really knows what to do, but you are ours.

Get the treatment you need, and come back to us.

Reactions: Ron in Regina

Hoof Hearted

House Member
Jul 23, 2016
"Get the treatment you need, and come back to us."

Okay T-Bones,

The world is raining hate down on me and my only ammunition is my humour and music. But I trust your opinion. I'll take a breather from the forum and come back when I'm doing better. Could be weeks or even months again...we'll see.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
"Get the treatment you need, and come back to us."

Okay T-Bones,

The world is raining hate down on me and my only ammunition is my humour and music. But I trust your opinion. I'll take a breather from the forum and come back when I'm doing better. Could be weeks or even months again...we'll see.
Yo, bro. Take a breather or not. If you feel like being on here is good for you, be on here.

I'm not a shrink. But I'm willing to hang with you.

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
Hoofie. . . I speak as a soldier.

Ain't nothing wrong with peacekeepers. Watch the film The Siege of Jadotville.

Stay with us, brother. None of us really knows what to do, but you are ours.

Get the treatment you need, and come back to us.

I prefer the wars that I write about.

That way there's no real bloodshed, the bad people die, the good people survive (maybe) and I can control the entire thing.

Real wars are scary shit.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
The USA is ten times bigger than Canada. Most Americans probably don't know where Canada even is.