'The science is clear. It leaves no room for procrastination. Global warming is real.

karra

Ranter
Jan 3, 2006
here, there, and everywher

Quote:
Originally Posted by karra
Are you particularly stupid all on your own - or is it genetic - so, which part of the following are you having the most difficulty with - or is it simply all. . . .

I understood what you said perfectly.
Yes, as you state - you have - congrats. . . .

thomaska

Council Member
May 24, 2006
Great Satan
Don'tcha think the sun mighta had something to do with GW?

No, no...much too easy. There has to be a conspiracy somewhere.:)

Like Republican Cro-Magnon ancestors riding bigger methane producing animals around...instead of the hybrid/smaller animals that all the "good" people rode...

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
What is the mechanism for natural global warming?
The basic mechanism behind global warming has been understood for more than 100 years. Energy from the sun, in the form of ultraviolet light, passes through the earth's atmosphere and is absorbed by objects—trees, buildings, animals, rocks, and so forth-on the ground. The objects later radiate some of the energy back into space, but as infrared rather than ultraviolet light. Some of the gases in the earth's atmosphere—including carbon dioxide, methane, water vapor, etc. trap that infrared radiation, keeping it near the surface of the earth and thus raising global temperatures. Those gases have become known as "greenhouse gases," because they keep the earth warmer than it otherwise would be, much the same way that glass keeps a greenhouse warm.

Some new info http://www.physorg.com/news3694.html

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
How is that an ad hominem attack?
The guy in the link you posted provided no science to back his comments that Ball's research is out to lunch. Instead he simply attacked Ball. It is ad hominem. Get it? Attacking the man instead of his arguments is ad hominem. Go back to school or read these : http://www.don-lindsay-archive.org/skeptic/arguments.html
The guy says he's a professor in climatology. He's not. He's a professor of geography. The guy says he's been a professor for 28 years. He hasn't been. He's been a professor of geography for 8 years and is already retired. The guy misleads and says he got a PhD in London. He neglects to say it's a PhD in philosophy and instead calls it a PhD in Science. The guy has never published a paper in scholarly peer reviewed journals on what is essentially global warming. The guy's whole argument centers upon him being an expert in the field. He's not. He was never really in the field. That's not an ad hominem attack. It's the substance of his argument. He says look at me, I'm a world leading expert on climatology. Therefore listen to me when I say global warming is political and not scientific. He's the one not giving substance. Therefore the argument goes to whether or not he's suited to make such claims. He is not. Pointing out someone is lying is not an ad hominem attack.

http://www.desmogblog.com/dr-tim-ball-the-lie-that-just-wont-die#comment-24496
Apparently you missed this link I posted: http://www.canadafreepress.com/2007/cover020707.htm

elevennevele

Electoral Member
Mar 13, 2006
Canada
The clock is ticking.

The Conservatives under Harper fought tooth and nail against the Liberals when they were in power to try to prevent them carrying out much of any environmental activity related to Kyoto. They were fighting ‘against’ action.

The Conservatives and their supporters do now have a soapbox to stand on when it comes to this issue. The only redeeming act would be to really take action of their own and shut up in the area of complaints. Complaining from the standpoint of their historic position does nothing to impress me. However, it does impress upon me in the sense of having a kind of low character.

Around the time I stopped posting here (which was leading up to Christmas), I came to the conclusion that the environment and climate change was the single most important issue facing us as ‘human beings’. Our wars (as long as nothing goes nuclear), pales in my mind as to the potential for disaster for all of us when it comes to climate change. When I say ‘us’, I mean the human species.

Everything from land destruction, drought/flooding, an inhospitibity on the surface to support life in some cases, a depletion of the food supply, etc. has the potential to challenge us greatly on the basis of survival itself if things go beyond our ability to make progress toward some stabilization of the changes that are already occurring.

Honestly, I have made myself avoid discussions here because I have no patience right now to deal with people who are still at the stage of arguing against the science.

Again, in the basest sense, think of food supply. Crops are dependent on some level of predictable form of climate which they have to grow. Farmers can have it hard enough sometimes in trying to cope with unpredictable weather patterns/cycles already. As the climate change moves forward, a greater level of unpredictability with the weather will undoubtedly occur.

The last time I felt this kind of itch was when Bush was leading the USA up towards going into Iraq.

elevennevele

Electoral Member
Mar 13, 2006
Canada
Who should it all be for anyway?

If any of you have children, you should know full well of that protective feeling a parent has towards any threat that might be posed towards their child’s future well being. Well I am deep in having that stake in the future too with my daughter.

So who gives a crap about political party patronage. I hope many of you like myself will have courage to live by example in the smallest sense towards positive action and hold ‘all’ parties regardless of stripes to do all that we can now.

Still, my harshest criticism will be left for the party that drags their feet the most.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
The basic mechanism behind global warming has been understood for more than 100 years. Energy from the sun, in the form of ultraviolet light, passes through the earth's atmosphere and is absorbed by objects—trees, buildings, animals, rocks, and so forth-on the ground. The objects later radiate some of the energy back into space, but as infrared rather than ultraviolet light. Some of the gases in the earth's atmosphere—including carbon dioxide, methane, water vapor, etc. trap that infrared radiation, keeping it near the surface of the earth and thus raising global temperatures. Those gases have become known as "greenhouse gases," because they keep the earth warmer than it otherwise would be, much the same way that glass keeps a greenhouse warm.

Some new info http://www.physorg.com/news3694.html

What is the mechanism of global warming? You've stated what keeps the earth warm.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
He neglects to say it's a PhD in philosophy and instead calls it a PhD in Science.http://www.desmogblog.com/dr-tim-ball-the-lie-that-just-wont-die#comment-24496

What's your point. what do you think a PhD stands for, it's a doctorate in Philosophy. I had a guest lecturer who used to be the head of the Shellfish division of the Atlantic Region of DFO. One of the most learned people I have ever met, from England where he got a PhD, or Philosophy Doctorate based on his shellfish biology dissertation.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
What is the mechanism of global warming? You've stated what keeps the earth warm.
Geeeeeeeeee, you really don't know much about science, do you? I'll tell you what started global warming; it was climate and sun. What makes the planet warm is the sun's radiation. What makes the planet warmer is the sun's radiation. That is the mechanism. Unless you can suggest something else that makes the planet warm besides the sun, I suggest you go back to high school and take a couple science classes.

Last edited:

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
What's your point. what do you think a PhD stands for, it's a doctorate in Philosophy. I had a guest lecturer who used to be the head of the Shellfish division of the Atlantic Region of DFO. One of the most learned people I have ever met, from England where he got a PhD, or Philosophy Doctorate based on his shellfish biology dissertation.
I wouldn't pay too much attention to this troll, Ton. He obviously ignores the fact that Ball posted his PhD certificate in Geology with special focus on historical climatology that I posted the link to.
"That's absolute rubbish. I have a PhD in Geography with a specific focus on historical climatology from the University of London (England), Queen Mary College," Dr. Ball told Canada Free Press (CFP) yesterday in a telephone interview.
- http://www.canadafreepress.com/2007/cover020707.htm

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
I had a friend who had 2 PhDs in biological sciences, he worked at the Summerland research station in the Okanagan. My math prof had a PhD in theoretical math. My physics prof had a PhD in nuclear physics. One of my chemistry profs had a PhD in organic chemstry and the other prof had one in physical chemistry. The Dean of Sciences also had a PhD in organic chemiistry. Isaac Asimov had a PhD in biochemistry. David Suzuki has a PhD in genetics.

Sparrow

Council Member
Nov 12, 2006
Quebec
Geeeeeeeeee, you really don't know much about science, do you? I'll tell you what started global warming; it was climate and sun. What makes the planet warm is the sun's radiation. What makes the planet warmer is the sun's radiation. That is the mechanism. Unless you can suggest something else that makes the planet warm besides the sun, I suggest you go back to high school and take a couple science classes.

I agree, also the magma (I think that is what they call it) at the center of the earth is very hot and is also warming the planet from the middle.

ShepherdsDog

Feb 12, 2007
Kaohsiung, Taiwan
It's the cows man.... I tell you those cow farts are going to be the end of the world. We may have exacerbated the warming trend, but humanity is not responsible for the Earth's warming trend. I've used the question before, and I'll ask it again. What caused the Earth to have an almost uniform tropical climate from pole to pole during the Eocene? Was it the factories and SUVs driven by the early mammals?

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
I agree, also the magma (I think that is what they call it) at the center of the earth is very hot and is also warming the planet from the middle.
The temperature of Earth's core is pretty constant. The mantle (just beneath the crust is about 800° to 900° centigrade, below that is the outer core which goes from about 4500° near the mantle to about 6000°, after that I forget but it gets hotter.