The Politics of Smoke

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
This is a weird and interesting time in Canadian politics. Never before has support been so high within Canada, for the legalization of marijuana. A previously taboo product, views have steadily been shifting toward widespread tolerance, if not flat out acceptance, of the place of this mind altering substance within our society.

Conversely, as tolerance becomes widespread for marijuana, it becomes unfashionable regarding a different smoke, tobacco. Currently, governments in more than one province in Canada, are reviewing stronger legislation regarding tobacco smoke, that would make a variety of currently legal things, such as smoking in cars with children, or smoking hookahs is restaurants, against the law. Included in this shift, is a strong push by organizations like the Canadian Cancer Society, and Smokefree Alberta, to prevent the uptake of the habit by children, by eliminating 'child targeted products', such as mint or fruit flavoured tobaccos. Alberta is currently reviewing the issues, with exceedingly strong support by Albertan residents for the measure.

What are your thoughts on the different moods and attitudes towards the two issues?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Yes it seems the anti-tobacco movement is pretty strong here. My sons campus has a no tobacco by law... anywhere on campus. Even though there has been laws saying no smoking inside any public places there have been some towns that passed by laws saying no smoking on sidewalks and parks etc.

I've never heard of the no flavored tobacco laws you mentioned. Say good-bye to chewing tobacco if that happens.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
I think a lot of sober second thought on the prohibition of marijuana revolves around the costs of enforcement and the cost to newly-minted criminals. Legislate and you have control - and tax revenues

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I think one of the biggest hurdles for pot legalization is control, the govt loves it. It would be nice if they just treated it like alcohol. Brew your own, grow your own.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Pot has medicinal benefits while the only use I am aware of for tobacco is as a pesticide.

I think one of the biggest hurdles for pot legalization is control, the govt loves it. It would be nice if they just treated it like alcohol. Brew your own, grow your own.

Most of us do.