The Great Canadian Parliamentary Seat Increase!

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Holy crap, a number of Albertans on this forum seem to have a great deal of neurotic and paranoid delusions. Just because someone disagrees with you does not mean they are attacking you for being an Albertan. Holy Paxil Batman. Will the cognitive dissonance be following forthwith?

GernB

GernB
Oct 21, 2009
Lethbridge AB
Holy crap, a number of Albertans on this forum seem to have a great deal of neurotic and paranoid delusions. Just because someone disagrees with you does not mean they are attacking you for being an Albertan. Holy Paxil Batman. Will the cognitive dissonance be following forthwith?

Not at all. But when I get called a "whining westerner" for pointing out and explaining an obvious injustice, it's difficult not to wonder about the respondent's motives. Or maybe I'm just missing the sarcasm?

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
So then it wouldn't be because your an Albertan, but because you're a westerner, assuming...

The number of seats get adjusted at every decennial census. How often do you think they should be adjusted?

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
As often as it takes for the party which is doing the tinkering to receive a majority mandate.
PS
Not "sarcasm', rather "irony."

GernB

GernB
Oct 21, 2009
Lethbridge AB
So then it wouldn't be because your an Albertan, but because you're a westerner, assuming...

The number of seats get adjusted at every decennial census. How often do you think they should be adjusted?

People can read where I'm from, can't they?

Yes, 10 years, as it should be. But you seem to be missing the point. A redistribution after 2011 will only exacerbate the existing problem, and it will get worse the longer the imbalance goes uncorrected. S.51 provides that each province will have a number of members equal to the population of the province divided by 1/279 the population of all the provinces. Fine. AB, BC and ON all comply under this formula. However, the remaining provinces are then "topped up" to prevent them from losing any seats, taking the total from all the provinces (excl. the territories) to 307. SK should have 9, not 14, PEI 1 not 4, NL 5 not 7, and so on.

Such changes have been made before -in 1946, 1952, 1975 and 1985 - and the proposed amendment seeks to partially correct the imbalances caused by the previous changes. But I doubt that this will change anyone's mind.

And I don't think that it would automatically help the CPC. ON and BC would get the bulk of the seats, not AB, mostly in Toronto and Vancouver, neither of which wholeheartedly support the CPC.

Last edited:

fubbleskag

noYOUshutup
Sep 10, 2004
Indiana, IN
www.speedofwood.com
Some of you need to read the Constitution Act 1867, s.51. No province can lose seats in a decennial redistribution, no matter how its population may have declined relative to the national total.
sorry to be pedantic, but your statement is inaccurate. a province can lose seats during a decennial redistribution, provided the number is not below that province's seat count as of March 6, 1986.

since you've encouraged us all to read the Constitution Act, I've quoted the relevant section here - for you as much as us, apparently - bolding mine:

Constitution Act said:
2. If the total number of members that would be assigned to a province by the application of rule 1 is less than the total number assigned to that province on the date of coming into force of this subsection, there shall be added to the number of members so assigned such number of members as will result in the province having the same number of members as were assigned on that date.(27)
Note 27 said:
As enacted by the Constitution Act, 1985 (Representation), S.C. 1986, c. 8, Part I, which came into force on March 6, 1986 (See SI/86-49).

GernB

GernB
Oct 21, 2009
Lethbridge AB
sorry to be pedantic, but your statement is inaccurate. a province can lose seats during a decennial redistribution, provided the number is not below that province's seat count as of March 6, 1986.

since you've encouraged us all to read the Constitution Act, I've quoted the relevant section here - for you as much as us, apparently - bolding mine:

Read it again carefully; you have misunderstood its application. In 1986 (the Act was passsed in 1985 but did not come into force until 1986), SK and MB each had 14 seats, PQ had 75, NB 10, NS 11, PEI 4 and NL 7. These are the numbers that they now have, and those numbers cannot be reduced below what they had on that date, so...figure it out.

Under the present s.51, no province can have fewer members than they had in 1986.Though the section applies to all provinces, it works to the benefit of those with shrinking populations (relative or absolute) and to the detriment of those which are growing.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com

"A solution there might be to give the MLA from a remote rural area larger funding so they can maintain two or three offices," he said.

Give them much more money to travel, but make all votes equal. Anything else is simply corruption.

Cities are the most dynamic part of the country, to deny them political influence restricts the growth and potential of the entire country. Let's commit slow national economic suicide. Aren't we in a recession?

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
People can read where I'm from, can't they?

Yes. We can all read. You're from Alberta. My point was, even assuming that you were right about Gerry's intentions, that he wouldn't be disagreeing with you because you're an Albertan, but because you're a westerner. That was the language he used afterall. You should ask him where he lives.

fubbleskag

noYOUshutup
Sep 10, 2004
Indiana, IN
www.speedofwood.com
Read it again carefully; you have misunderstood its application. In 1986 (the Act was passsed in 1985 but did not come into force until 1986), SK and MB each had 14 seats, PQ had 75, NB 10, NS 11, PEI 4 and NL 7. These are the numbers that they now have, and those numbers cannot be reduced below what they had on that date, so...figure it out.

Under the present s.51, no province can have fewer members than they had in 1986.Though the section applies to all provinces, it works to the benefit of those with shrinking populations (relative or absolute) and to the detriment of those which are growing.
I read it several times before posting, and I understand it quite clearly. my contention was with your blanket statement that, "No province can lose seats in a decennial redistribution, no matter how its population may have declined relative to the national total," which is inaccurate. if you had specified that no province could lose a seat in the upcoming adjustment because today's numbers are the same as 1986, your statement would have been accurate. I didn't point it out to start an argument, because the discrepancy has no bearing on the point you were making; I pointed it out so that anyone reading the thread wouldn't mistake the facts based on your statement. perhaps I shouldn't have bothered?

GernB

GernB
Oct 21, 2009
Lethbridge AB
I read it several times before posting, and I understand it quite clearly. my contention was with your blanket statement that, "No province can lose seats in a decennial redistribution, no matter how its population may have declined relative to the national total," which is inaccurate. if you had specified that no province could lose a seat in the upcoming adjustment because today's numbers are the same as 1986, your statement would have been accurate. I didn't point it out to start an argument, because the discrepancy has no bearing on the point you were making; I pointed it out so that anyone reading the thread wouldn't mistake the facts based on your statement. perhaps I shouldn't have bothered?

Point taken. I should have been more precise, and said that none of the seven shrinking or slower growing provinces could lose seats.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
So.....

the government is preparing legislation to increase the number of seats in the house to about 340, in an effort to provide better representation by population:

MyUSTINET News: Move Afoot To Expand Canadian Parliament

Oh it is all good!

The population better represented.

Quebec's undue influence lessened.

The BQ diminished as a force in Parliament.

And a better crack at majority gov't by the Conservatives....

Thoughts, anyone?

Yep, I'm sure there are all kinds of reasons, but there is one BIG reason against it- THE COST OF EXPANDING THE TROUGH.