The Alt-Right Movement: A New Age of Racism and Xenophobia

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Donald Trump, Pepe the frog, and white supremacists: an explainer

Why is there a frog standing directly behind Trump?

That’s Pepe. He’s a symbol associated with white supremacy.

Wait. Really? White supremacy?

That’s right.

Please explain.

Here’s the short version: Pepe is a cartoon frog who began his internet life as an innocent meme enjoyed by teenagers and pop stars alike.

But in recent months, Pepe’s been almost entirely co-opted by the white supremacists who call themselves the “alt-right.” They’ve decided to take back Pepe by adding swastikas and other symbols of anti-semitism and white supremacy.

“We basically mixed Pepe in with Nazi propaganda, etc. We built that association,” one prominent white supremacist told the Daily Beast.

Trump has retweeted his white supremacist supporters with regularity, but the connection between the alt-right and his campaign continues to strengthen. Trump has been slow to disavow support from Ku Klux Klansmen and white supremacy groups, and he recently hired Breitbart.com’s Steve Bannon as his campaign CEO (and Bannon isn’t shy about the fact that his “news” organization is the “platform for the alt-right”).

Donald Trump, Pepe the frog, and white supremacists: an explainer

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007

davesmom

Council Member
Oct 11, 2015
Southern Ontario
Why would you force yourself to move to England? That's the whole point of multiculturalism. You can move to Canada and still keep your English identity.

I don't know what you are talking about! Who is 'forcing himself to move to England'? If ;you wanted to move to England, why would you not want to assume English identity? If you don't like English identity, then you probably shouldn't be there.

People who embrace multiculturalism are still living in the past, wanting to cling to the 'old ways' of their ancestors.
Well we live in the world as it is today and the world has changed. And it will keep on changing. So it makes sense to live within today.

In reality, it doesn't matter what language your ancestors spoke. The only thing that matters is for all people to be able to communicate. That means all speaking the same language.
It doesn't matter what your ancestors wore. What matters is that you dress comfortably for the environment you live in.
It doesn't matter what your ancestors considered 'mannerly'. What matters is that we all treat each other with respect and not try to push our beliefs on others.
It doesn't matter what your religious beliefs are so long as the coincide with the laws of the country you live in. If your country's laws say you can only have one wife at a time, then you'd better not try practising polygamy! If your country's laws say you cannot beat your wife, then you'd better not beat your wife. And so on.

The stupidest things I can think of to do is to want to preserve your ancestors 'culture' and then marry outside of it. Or move to a country with a different culture.

Nobody is forcing anybody to move anywhere. People migrate of their own free will. If people are satisfied with the life they live in their own native lands, why do they migrate in the first place?

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Poor Pepe.

He used to be such a good guy before he was hijacked by Neo Nazis like Trump and Pence.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I don't know what you are talking about! Who is 'forcing himself to move to England'? If ;you wanted to move to England, why would you not want to assume English identity? If you don't like English identity, then you probably shouldn't be there.

People who embrace multiculturalism are still living in the past, wanting to cling to the 'old ways' of their ancestors.
Well we live in the world as it is today and the world has changed. And it will keep on changing. So it makes sense to live within today.

In reality, it doesn't matter what language your ancestors spoke. The only thing that matters is for all people to be able to communicate. That means all speaking the same language.
It doesn't matter what your ancestors wore. What matters is that you dress comfortably for the environment you live in.
It doesn't matter what your ancestors considered 'mannerly'. What matters is that we all treat each other with respect and not try to push our beliefs on others.
It doesn't matter what your religious beliefs are so long as the coincide with the laws of the country you live in. If your country's laws say you can only have one wife at a time, then you'd better not try practising polygamy! If your country's laws say you cannot beat your wife, then you'd better not beat your wife. And so on.

The stupidest things I can think of to do is to want to preserve your ancestors 'culture' and then marry outside of it. Or move to a country with a different culture.

Nobody is forcing anybody to move anywhere. People migrate of their own free will. If people are satisfied with the life they live in their own native lands, why do they migrate in the first place?
Yeah, ain't it crazy how people come here and insist on speaking languages of other countries?

Like English and French?

davesmom

Council Member
Oct 11, 2015
Southern Ontario
Yeah, ain't it crazy how people come here and insist on speaking languages of other countries?

Like English and French?

My God, you are SO thick and dense!
Please try to understand what was posted. I believe there was a point made that we ARE LIVING IN TODAY'S WORLD.
But then , you probably wouldn't understand the context anyway.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Please try to understand what was posted. I believe there was a point made that we ARE LIVING IN TODAY'S WORLD.

And today's world is a multicultural one! So there you go.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Old story. As soon as you get nice and settled in, outlaw the methods you used to take over.