Tesla to cut thousands of jobs as Elon Musk warns the ‘road ahead is very difficult’

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
https://nuvve.com/2019/01/15/the-match-has-been-made-evs-are-ready-to-support-the-electricity-grid/
The results of the Parker Project, which aimed to demonstrate how electric vehicle (EV) batteries can support the grid are now in. The conclusion: “EVs can actively support the electricity grid and can do so on a large scale without compromising the users’ comfort, battery performance and economy.”
AS long a you keep your gas powered generator running to charge the car. Of course you could always cut out the $60000 toy in the middle and just hook your generator into the grid.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
https://futurism.com/the-byte/tesla-record-mileage-900000-kilometers
German puts 900K on his Model s
Those germans. Very type A
Tesla People Hate Me, but the Tesla Model S Still Isn't a Full-Size Luxury Sedan

Last week, I wrote a column wherein I opined that the Tesla Model S is not a full-size luxury sedan Opens a New Window. , regardless of how many times Tesla likes to claim it's the best-selling full-size luxury sedan on the market. As proof, I brought up its overall length and its price, both of which place it much closer to a midsize luxury sedan than a full-size luxury sedan.
https://www.autotrader.com/car-news...e-best-selling-luxury-sedan-in-america-258097

I also made sure to spell out my appreciation for the Model S. I think it's a fantastic car. And beyond that, simply getting it to the market is an unbelievable feat in an industry that has tremendous barriers to entry. The fact that it's earning as many sales as it's getting is nothing short of amazing.

I thought this would temper some of the angry reactions from Tesla people. It did not.
https://www.autotrader.com/car-news...-s-still-isnt-a-full-size-luxury-sedan-258246

DEM snowflakes!!!!
:)
POOF!!!!

Last edited:

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
Today, I'm going to disprove a myth that has taken off like Bigfoot, the Loch Ness Monster or the midengine Corvette -- namely, that the Tesla Model S is the best-selling luxury sedan in America Opens a New Window. . You've probably heard this myth, because it's been repeated approximately 379,000 times by roughly 247 different automotive publications.

But there's no doubt about one thing: Whether or not you love Tesla, the Model S is not the best-selling luxury sedan in America.

Here's the basis for the claim that it is the best-selling luxury sedan in America. During the third quarter, Tesla sold 9,156 units of the Model S sedan, which is indeed more sales than the Mercedes S-Class (4,921), the BMW 7 Series (3,634), the Audi A8 (1,030), the Lexus LS (1,235) and whatever other full-size luxury sedan you want to compare it to. These numbers are indisputable.

There's only one problem: The Tesla Model S isn't a full-size luxury sedan. It's a midsize luxury sedan, and it doesn't actually compete with the cars I've listed above.
https://www.autotrader.com/car-news...e-best-selling-luxury-sedan-in-america-258097

fakenews...liebarrels
:)
get it?

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
Let's find out the how much it has cost in repairs and scheduled maintenance.

In a gaser the 500k mile mark is seldom reached.

Brakes alone especially these days probably make the ev more affordable

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
TESLARATI

Simon Alvarez in Energy News 4 days ago
Tesla’s big battery in South Australia is a ‘complete waste of resources,’ claims Nissan

In a recent interview with Australian auto publication The Driven, Nissan’s global head of electric vehicles Nic Thomas shared a rather surprising view of Tesla’s big battery installation in South Australia, which is widely credited for helping residents reduce their dependence from gas cartels operating in the region.

During the launch of a new version of its popular all-electric 40 kWh Leaf in Melbourne, the Nissan executive boldly declared that Tesla’s Powerpack Farm in South Australia is a waste of resources. “It’s a complete waste of resources because what we can do is have cars that are also batteries and those cars are parked most of the time,” Thomas said.

Thomas’ statement comes as he was discussing the new Leaf’s vehicle-to-grid/vehicle-to-home (V2G/V2H) system, which will allow the all-electric car to serve as a home battery unit. With the system in place, the Leaf will not only store energy by plugging into a home or business; the vehicle could also serve the energy back when needed. V2H is already in use in countries such as Japan, and a release in Australia is expected within six months.

The Nissan executive noted that the Leaf’s V2G system has the potential to help homeowners save money, especially if the vehicle charges through a rooftop solar system during the day, and uses its stored energy to power appliances and lights at night.

“The way we distribute and consume energy is fundamentally inefficient … what we need is flexibility in the system. It’s great that we’ve invested all this money in renewable energy, but fundamentally we’re wasting most of that energy because it’s all being generated in the middle of the day when we don’t really need it,” he said.

Tim Washington, CEO of charging solutions provider Jetcharge, noted that Nissan V2H technology has a lot of potential, considering that vehicles spend much of their time just parked, or in the case of electric cars, plugged in.

“Cars will be an energy asset first, and a mobility asset second. What I mean by that is you are going to use your cars probably more as batteries than as vehicles. As we know, vehicles are parked 90% of the time – that is one of the criticism leveled at cars. But what if they are the most efficient asset that you have because it’s doing work even when it’s parked? That’s when bidirectional charging comes into play,” he said.

While V2G technology has a lot of potential that even Tesla CEO Elon Musk recognizes, the Nissan executive’s casual dismissal of the 100MW/129MWh Hornsdale Power Reserve in South Australia seems misinformed at best. Since coming online, after all, the Powerpack farm, whose size is equal to around 2,500 40 kWh Nissan Leafs, has seen widespread acclaim for its speed and sophistication.

Even before it was officially activated, the big battery was called into action, injecting 70 MW of stored wind energy into the market; and just two weeks after it went online, it stepped in to support the grid when a coal generator in the region failed. This rapid response, which has pretty much changed the energy game in South Australia, would likely be pretty challenging to match with a fleet of Nissan Leafs. V2G definitely has its uses, and it will be beneficial to Nissan Leaf owners; but ultimately, big batteries like the Hornsdale Power Reserve are on a completely different level of energy.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB

Everything is modular so a $3 part means a repair bill of $3,000 that warranty covers.
Put the 3rd compression ring back in and they would last as long as any 'truck motor'.
Since most are automatics a 'jake-brake' could downshift the trans and then the brakes are almost never used

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
He replaced the battery.

And yes Teslas have brakes and ho-lee-f-ck are they ever expensive. $8500USD expensive.

Bit of a warning to early model S owners and others. I have owned a model S since Dec 22, 2012 and I bought the extended care package. It has gone through 4 winters, 2 hard ones and 2 warmer ones. The car has 104,000km on the odometer.

Last year I started hearing a rattling noise in the right rear and it turned out to be a loose parking brake pad. That got fixed and this year the other side started rattling. As well the breaks seemed to be a little soft but in no way concerning. After 3 weeks waiting for the appointment I dropped the car off and got a call saying that all 4 break pistons has seized and it would cost $8500 to repair! Wow. That is the most expensive repair I have ever had on a car. By a long shot. I was told that because the breaks are not used that much the pistons can seize. So one of the benefits of regen might not be so much of a benefit at all. Apparently Tesla is recommending a break servicing for cars in the northeast every year. I was also told that there was lots of wear left on the rotors and brake pads but they wanted to change them all out as the rotors were heavily pitted. They also mentioned that I should break hard a couple of times a week but I'm not sure if that is official Tesla policy.

Here are some of the part costs costs:
Break caliper assembly with piston (each): $745.00
Rear rotor (each): $331.00
Front Rotor (each): $290.00
Parking break caliper with pads: $1,235.00

They also replaced a the upper control arm on the driver's side: $261.00

Tesla managed to salvage one of the pistons but they had to change out 3 of them agreed to not charge for labour on the job so my final bill was $5,824.75. I was not expecting that when I dropped the car off.

I asked Jay (who is as helpful as ever) what other 'surprises' I might be in for and he could not think of any but I am nervous.

So Tesla may have an issue with this or is might just be my car but I certainly recommend everyone in the east (and especially Sig owners) have their breaks looked at right away. I would have one of the earliest cars to go through 4 winters but a near $6K repair bill does not make this the cheapest car I have ever owned.

It is hard to swallow getting a complete brake replacement when the rotors or pads were not worn down.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Are you comparing it to your yugo?
I want what you're smoking.

Let's compare with a new 2019 Caddie.

Caddie ATS 3.6L Turbo Charged

ALL PRICES IN CANADIAN DOLLARS

Rear calipers $87.19 X 2

Front calipers $160.29 X 2

Front and rear pads $81.97

Front Rotors $62.39 X 2

Rear Rotors $63.69 X

Hardware kits $8.85 Front Rear $11.15

TOTAL PARTS $848.71

We'll call it $1300 with labour and taxes.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/cadillac,2019,ats,3.6l+v6,3442496,brake+&+wheel+hub

Last edited: