Tesla car battery production releases as much CO2 as 8 years of gasoline driving

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003

Made with all organic and sustainable products.

Well they're clearly going to need to re-design it for the road...ain't nobody gonna drive that thing down the road. Parking would be a b!tch!

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Well they're clearly going to need to re-design it for the road...ain't nobody gonna drive that thing down the road. Parking would be a b!tch!
I don't know. If I saw that thing in a parking space, I'd give it plenty of room. Five miles or so should oughta do it.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

Will there be charging stations available at supermarkets and banks?

I don't know. If I saw that thing in a parking space, I'd give it plenty of room. Five miles or so should oughta do it.

Yeah? Wait until you see the start up.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003

yeah? maybe I'll make it my next vehicle then. My current car survived approx 6 months on the road before it suffered it's first ding...

It's always the first ding on any new vehicle that's the worst, they say...but the other 2 that happened hurt just as much.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Because it took 6 months to get your first ding on your car.

ah, well. My very first brand new car I succeeded in keeping it ding free 4 for years! then some courier guy backed into it while it was parked in front of my work.

That's nothing. Where she lives I've seen 15 year old 4X4s in pristine condition.

Baffles the hell outta me.

baffles me to, but given the amount they paid for their cadillac trucks or tricked out hummers, I'm surprised they even take them out onto the road at all!

Who gets pearl white paint for their truck?

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
oh and the amount of Porche SUVs, Acura, BMW and Telsa SUV's makes me wonder if the point of a Sport UTILITY Vehicle might be lost on them.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
yeah? maybe I'll make it my next vehicle then. My current car survived approx 6 months on the road before it suffered it's first ding...

It's always the first ding on any new vehicle that's the worst, they say...but the other 2 that happened hurt just as much.

That's what Rod Stewart said, the fist ding is the deepest.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Lithium batteries? A decade or so? Try 1912. 105 years ago.

Experimentation with lithium batteries began in 1912 under G.N. Lewis, and in the 1970s the first lithium batteries came onto the market.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_battery#Lithium_and_lithium-ion_batteries

This dude was my landlord in 1990.

https://ca.linkedin.com/in/qiming-zhong-48151337

When he was with NEC back then. They had issues with the larger batteries overheating and exploding.

Who cares when the tech was first developed? The entire point is that they were ignored until the last couple of decades. Ditto for solar and wind, two technologies that have been around for centuries, but are just now coming into their own. I suspect we are going to see an explosion in green tech innovation in the next few years. A superb example is that of LEDs, which are replacing lighting worldwide due to their low energy use. A decade ago they were almost nonexistent; now they are everywhere. We are in an age that rivals the Industrial Revolution in its rapid technological innovation. Change is accelerating and I expect it will continue to do so.

Wake

Electoral Member
Feb 17, 2017
Oops. Guess everyone will have to stop buying cell phones. Fortunately green tech doesn't end with lithium ion batteries.

Beyond lithium-ion: Researchers reveal a safer, longer-lasting, solid-state battery alternative

Beyond lithium-ion: Researchers reveal a safer, longer-lasting, solid-state battery alternative | PCWorld
10 alternatives to lithium-ion batteries

10 alternatives to lithium-ion batteries - Charged

Let me get this straight - YOU think that things under development are better. You are not an engineer and don't know what is being said nor have the capacity to analyze them yourself but you can talk about them - right?

If there's one thing that is really stupid it is a True Believer in the faith of Global Warming.

Oh, you fell for that "SUV" thing, did you? Poor lass.

It's actually "SAV," for Suburban Assault Vehicle.

Pretendian is back with his additions to a global warming forum.

especially when the vehicle goes from garage to mall and home again...

The largest selling vehicles in the US are pickup trucks. It is said that 95% of them never use the bed for anything. Though a large percentage of them are 4WD with snow tires that stick out 3" from beneath the fenders. These are the people crying "We have to stop the global warming!"

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Let me get this straight - YOU think that things under development are better. You are not an engineer and don't know what is being said nor have the capacity to analyze them yourself but you can talk about them - right?

If there's one thing that is really stupid it is a True Believer in the faith of Global Warming.

Pretendian is back with his additions to a global warming forum.
Whimper away, you poor little butthurt creature.