teen burned in kfc poutine mishap

Canaduh

Derailing Threads
Mar 7, 2008
Southwest WA
If you kept it in the house, wouldn't the smell saturate the kitchen(not to mention the rest of the ground floor)?:-?

Exact same thing I was thinking. Ask anyone that's worked with deep fryers and they will tell you that you'll never get the smell out of your clothes and maybe a few weeks/ months for your hands.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I deep fry once in a blue moon in a pot on the stove. It smells for a day or two. I can't imagine doing it more often than we do.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Wow...this story reminds me of that episode of "Family Guy:"

HERE'S THE SCENE:
Griffin. Party of two.
Mr. Griffin, we've been expecting you.
Peter, relax. It's for liability reasons.
Now, let's just try to enjoy our meal.
I kind of get the helmet. But what's with the water wings?
Well, you did order the soup.
Like something could happen...

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
If you kept it in the house, wouldn't the smell saturate the kitchen(not to mention the rest of the ground floor)?:-?

I guess to some degree but the worst thing is the patina of grease that gets on everything. The range hood doesn't stop it. I get to stand on a chair and wash the cupboards at least once a year.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Exact same thing I was thinking. Ask anyone that's worked with deep fryers and they will tell you that you'll never get the smell out of your clothes and maybe a few weeks/ months for your hands.
That's why restaurants and cafes and the like have exhaust hoods over grills, deep-friers, etc. :D

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I guess to some degree but the worst thing is the patina of grease that gets on everything. The range hood doesn't stop it. I get to stand on a chair and wash the cupboards at least once a year.
lol One of the houses I was raised in had oil furnace. Someone had to degrease the house occasionally. Then we had gas after that and it was the same but degreasing wasn't as frequent as with the oil-heated house. Best to do as you do and go outside or else use a range hood (much easier to clean than a whole house). lol

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Our barbecue has a side burner on it, next summer I might try deep frying on it, to keep it outside. Back in university, my roomates and I used to make homemade french fries and potato chips all the time.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
That's a great idea tenpenny. I'd never thought to do it that way even though we have the same side burner.

The issue I have is that we have a few deep fried faves around here that you just can't get in a restaurant, so, we will make them once in a blue moon. Corn fritters are an example.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
That's a great idea tenpenny. I'd never thought to do it that way even though we have the same side burner.

The issue I have is that we have a few deep fried faves around here that you just can't get in a restaurant, so, we will make them once in a blue moon. Corn fritters are an example.

The kicker will be making sure it doesn't get too hot. But I'm going to try some once the weather improves. Only -19 this morning, with a -30 wind chill, and both girls went to school with sneakers on.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
The creator of poutine must have been drunk when he came up with the idea. There's no sane reason to pour runny cheese on fries with gravy..:roll:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
The creator of poutine must have been drunk when he came up with the idea. There's no sane reason to pour runny cheese on fries with gravy..:roll:

Actually you pour runny gravy over cheese and fries......;-):lol:

Last edited:

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
If he's such a great dad, why is he letting his daughter eat poutine? That ain't healthy....

Poutine is good for ya! In fact, I just had some for dinner & it was delectable.

1) Seasoned French fries partially roasted on my Super Wave Oven @350F for about 10-12 minutes.

2) Italian sweet sausages sauteed (separately) with onions & a bit of chili - thereafter, minced in a food chopper.

When the meat was cooked, I put it on top of the fries and laced it with gravy for about 5-10 minutes. Then, I added layers of NY Extra Sharp Cheddar cheese and heated it for about 3-5 minutes at the same temperature. After the cheese is fully melted, let the dish stand for about 5 minutes. It stays hot for a long time.

The dish is very tasty and filling.

Yum, yum ~ now you know why I like Canadians!

Last edited:

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Poutine is good for ya! In fact, I just had some for dinner & it was delectable.

1) Seasoned French fries partially roasted on my Super Wave Oven @350F for about 10-12 minutes.

2) Italian sweet sausages sauteed (separately) with onions & a bit of chili - thereafter, minced in a food chopper.

When the meat was cooked, I put it on top of the fries and laced it with gravy for about 5-10 minutes. Then, I added layers of NY Extra Sharp Cheddar cheese and heated it for about 3-5 minutes at the same temperature. After the cheese is fully melted, let the dish stand for about 5 minutes. It stays hot for a long time.

The dish is very tasty and filling.

Yum, yum ~ now you know why I like Canadians!
We're really Yummy?

I just discovered that the Quebecois are now producing gourmet meals based on poutine. Maybe I should go back for a visit. I still got family there.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
Nothing will lead to the inevitable separation of Quebec from the rest of Canada, than poutine, the Quebec original and how it is perceived by the phony and taste bud challenged rest of Canada.

Normal people enjoy the present, including pleasing the taste buds, while the idealistic and the politically correct ones would bet the future on a few extra, joyless, tasteless and sad years.

I would rather add happy life to my years than unhappy years to my life.