Studies Say Death Penalty Deters Crime

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
Every once in a while some inmate is murdered in prison, and the culprit probably was a fellow con who was sent up for murder or assault. Who says there is no justice in Canada?

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
That's hogwash. Not all murderers get out after the mandatory 2/3 of a sentence served. There is what is called dangerous offenders, criminals classified as such do not get a free pass after the 2/3, and do indeed serve life sentences.

Just out of curiousity, what crime is on the rise? Violent crime, or things like property crime?

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
That's hogwash. Not all murderers get out after the mandatory 2/3 of a sentence served. There is what is called dangerous offenders, criminals classified as such do not get a free pass after the 2/3, and do indeed serve life sentences.

Just out of curiousity, what crime is on the rise? Violent crime, or things like property crime?

Property crime is falling, violent crime is rising slightly......but Canada is still an amazingly peaceful kingdom.

May 28, 2007
Honour our Fallen
Well we made our jails into club fed.Filled it with social workers trying to find out if daddy spanked you.
What have you got? Crime rates out of hand.

Make the prisons hell.
No tv, crap food, pedophiles tossed in with everyone else.Bernardo has to wash with everyone *snicker snicker*.
Let em read decent novels to while away their time.

gauran friggin teed crime rates go down.
40 years ago in Toronto if you got caught with stolen anything of value from a break in ...ya got 5 years. There was like 2 security companies in Toronto where you could change yer locks.(sexagerration on lock company but not sentence)
Now you get caught for the 4th time with items that can be identified from 90 break ins and you might do 2 months.

talk about the lunatics running the asylum.

Just for lols...who lobbied in america to get the 5th amendment???
exatamundo ....

Last edited:

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
And what do you suggest we do with the pedophiles, serial killers, and violent offenders? Currently we lock them up for a while and then place them in our communities and sometimes tell us. Hard to release a dead man.

Lock them away where they can't hurt the public. Let them produce what ever they can make and sell that product to help lower the costs of their incarseration. Much more of a deterent than some unmarked grave no one mentions five years later.

Cobalt_Kid

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
A study done in New York back when it had executions showed that the murder rate went up by 30% for several months immediately after an execution. States which carry out exectutions have higher murder rates than those which don't, so if anything they encourage people to kill, not the other way around.

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
I don't think this is a valid comparison. To accept this, you would have to assume all states are equal and have the same crime factors. Comparing NY and Utah (not even sure what the statute in Utah is, example purpose only) is probably like comparing Apples and Oranges.

But even given that, NY is probably classified as a death penalty state but I don't believe they have executed anybody in eons. So if you count NY with the death penalty you are warping the statistics and in a big way given NYC probably has a fair bit of crime.

Look at the chart, it includes New York as a non-death penalty state (see the asterix) for the very reason you mentioned (not actually killing people). So even though New York is a Crime ridden place in your own words (which would seem to spike the non-death penalty crime rate up), non-death penalty states have lower crime rates and sinking.

So you actually just proved yourself in error there.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Look at the chart, it includes New York as a non-death penalty state (see the asterix) for the very reason you mentioned (not actually killing people). So even though New York is a Crime ridden place in your own words (which would seem to spike the non-death penalty crime rate up), non-death penalty states have lower crime rates and sinking.

So you actually just proved yourself in error there.

No, I still think state by state comparisons are not valid. I stand corrected about NY however.

Looking at the chart, we can also say that the notible drop around 1995 could be tied to the adoption of the death penalty by NY and KS. You can interpret statistics any way you choose. :)

Last edited:

thomaska

Council Member
May 24, 2006
Great Satan
I hardly think you could put me on the "extreme left", but these studies don't convince me at all. There are far to many factors involved in homicide rates for any study on cause/effect to be taken seriously..........things such as demographics (population density, average age, male:female ratio), economic factors (unemployment, lifestyle disparity), culture and on and on.

I am against the death penalty for single instances of murder.......I think there is far too much chance of making a mistake, and consideration of individual rights demands a policy of "it is better for 100 guilty men to go free than for one innocent man to be executed".

I do think mass killers should be executed. They should be tried for each murder seperately, in front of a different judge and jury, and on their third conviction they should be executed ASAP.......some folks (Clifford Olson, for instance) are just too evil to be allowed to live.

Edited to say: If this study is valid, why is Canada's murder rate 1/3 that in the United States?

WARNING: I will hunt down and shoot the first person that replies "because Canada has tough gun control" :)

Colpy,

Speaking of Gun laws, does this make you wish you lived in Texas at all?

These were all acts recently passed:

The “Castle Doctrine.” Short version: We’re no longer “required to retreat” from anywhere we have a right to be in the first place, we can assume automatically that an intruder on our property constitutes a threat of death and/or great bodily harm and act accordingly and, very importantly, the goblin (if he survives) or his relatives (if he doesn’t) can’t sue us in civil court if his death/injury was found justifiable by a Grand Jury. No more double jeopardy for defending your life and wellbeing.

Emergency Powers Act Amendments — SB 112: Got a disaster area on your hands? Thinking about confiscating weapons from law-abiding citizens, depriving them of the means to defend themselves from looters, rapists, murderers etc., just like Raycist “Chocolate City” Nagin did? Not in Texas you won’t, so keep your tyrant hands to yourself. If you want to keep them attached to a living body.
\
Motorists Protection Act — HB 1815: When the Texas legislature clarified the “Traveling Law” in 2005, making sure that peaceful, law-abiding citizens wouldn’t have to worry about going to the clink for having a handgun in their vehicle if they didn’t have a CHL, some DAs in Texas decided that they didn’t have to listen to the law and publicly declared that they’d do whatever they damn well pleased and arrest anybody they damn well felt like arresting, proud “civil servants” that they are. Instead of just doing what you’re supposed to do when criminals publicly declare that they intend to disregard the law, which is finding a length of rope and a nice tree, the Texas Legislature decided to have mercy and make the language of the law even clearer. Absolutely no room left for creative interpretation now. If you’re in a vehicle and you’re a law-abiding citizen not prohibited from owning a gun, you have a right to have one with you. We’re not putting the rope away just yet, however. Consider it “insurance.”
\
CHL Confidentiality — HB 991: If any newspaper in the State of Texas decides to go all Roanoke Times on us and publish the personal data of CHL holders in order to intimidate and place innocent lives in danger to satisfy their own dislike for the right to defend yourself, they can forget about it, right now.

Protect Second Amendment Rights for Foster Parents — SB 322: The Texas Child Abductive Services, in another effort to keep their kidnapping quotas up and keep those sweet, tasty government bounties rolling in, wanted to make it impossible for foster parents to own guns. Impossible as in “no guns, or we’re revoking your foster parent status and kidnapping the children.” No, they weren’t demanding “safe storage”, they were demanding “no guns whatsoever, under any circumstances.” Child “Protective” Services, as long as “protection” isn’t taken to mean — well — protection. The Child Abductive Services were told to go pound sand, that foster parents are citizens with rights as well and that includes those enumerated in the Second Amendment.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
Property crime is falling, violent crime is rising slightly......but Canada is still an amazingly peaceful kingdom.

This is a fairly commonly held misconception. Yet, from our own government:
It is true that television and the Internet are giving us access to a lot of this information. We are seeing a lot more of it, but data on crime shows the opposite. It shows that crime is reducing. I do not have to repeat too much of that. The data is out there. Since 1991, for reasons that sociologists have not ever been able to fully explain, our violent crime rates and our overall crime rates are decreasing and continue to do so.

My emphasis. It is true that in some districts police reported crime rates are increasing, but this is due to the self-evident fact that if you increase the number of police officers then you also increase the number of crimes that will be reported. It is also true that neighbourhoods which see more police presence will see higher rates of crime reporting and subsequently, convictions. It is for these reasons that the immigrant population in Toronto is so demonized, and this selection bias is sometimes used to ignorantly portray the immigrant population as innately more violent.

No, I still think state by state comparisons are not valid. I stand corrected about NY however.

Looking at the chart, we can also say that the notible drop around 1995 could be tied to the adoption of the death penalty by NY and KS. You can interpret statistics any way you choose. :)

It is not true that statistics are amenable to any interpretation, quite the opposite, and that is exactly the common failing of frequentist statistics which necessitates bayesian statistics. In fact, the only thing frequentist statistics can do is to discount the null hypothesis, they can not be used to favour one theory over another. Bayesian statistics can. From the charts I posted, the only thing you can say is that the death penalty is correlated with a higher murder rate, why that is remains a mystery until some criminologists develop some fairly complicated predictors for murder rates and Bayesian statistics can then be used to favour one theory over another.

State by state comparisons are quite valid. It is equivelent to person by person comparisons when searching for say a correlation between gender and average height: a binary relation compared to a multivariate, continuous one.

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
Colpy,

The “Castle Doctrine.” Short version: We’re no longer “required to retreat” from anywhere we have a right to be in the first place, we can assume automatically that an intruder on our property constitutes a threat of death and/or great bodily harm and act accordingly and, very importantly, the goblin (if he survives) or his relatives (if he doesn’t) can’t sue us in civil court if his death/injury was found justifiable by a Grand Jury. No more double jeopardy for defending your life and wellbeing.

Emergency Powers Act Amendments — SB 112: Got a disaster area on your hands? Thinking about confiscating weapons from law-abiding citizens, depriving them of the means to defend themselves from looters, rapists, murderers etc., just like Raycist “Chocolate City” Nagin did? Not in Texas you won’t, so keep your tyrant hands to yourself. If you want to keep them attached to a living body.
\
Motorists Protection Act — HB 1815: When the Texas legislature clarified the “Traveling Law” in 2005, making sure that peaceful, law-abiding citizens wouldn’t have to worry about going to the clink for having a handgun in their vehicle if they didn’t have a CHL, some DAs in Texas decided that they didn’t have to listen to the law and publicly declared that they’d do whatever they damn well pleased and arrest anybody they damn well felt like arresting, proud “civil servants” that they are. Instead of just doing what you’re supposed to do when criminals publicly declare that they intend to disregard the law, which is finding a length of rope and a nice tree, the Texas Legislature decided to have mercy and make the language of the law even clearer. Absolutely no room left for creative interpretation now. If you’re in a vehicle and you’re a law-abiding citizen not prohibited from owning a gun, you have a right to have one with you. We’re not putting the rope away just yet, however. Consider it “insurance.”
\
CHL Confidentiality — HB 991: If any newspaper in the State of Texas decides to go all Roanoke Times on us and publish the personal data of CHL holders in order to intimidate and place innocent lives in danger to satisfy their own dislike for the right to defend yourself, they can forget about it, right now.

Protect Second Amendment Rights for Foster Parents — SB 322: The Texas Child Abductive Services, in another effort to keep their kidnapping quotas up and keep those sweet, tasty government bounties rolling in, wanted to make it impossible for foster parents to own guns. Impossible as in “no guns, or we’re revoking your foster parent status and kidnapping the children.” No, they weren’t demanding “safe storage”, they were demanding “no guns whatsoever, under any circumstances.” Child “Protective” Services, as long as “protection” isn’t taken to mean — well — protection. The Child Abductive Services were told to go pound sand, that foster parents are citizens with rights as well and that includes those enumerated in the Second Amendment.

I think there is alot of room for abuse in such rules, but I think over all , even if less safe, they make a more morally just society.

I still stand by my belief that anyone entrusted with a vote should be entrusted with a gun. You can spin that however you want, either rip away peoples votes or give people guns. But there is no sane reason to give anyone a vote who you don't think can responsibley handle a gun or vice versa (no giving say, the mentally unstable, a gun)

I also think the need to retreat from a home invader is akin to forcing someone to under law to put their life in danger, in many circumstances that is an unwise and unsafe practice, no different than telling people to play russian roulette.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Colpy,

\
\

Thanks Tomaska!~

I LIKE it!~

Couldn't stand the climate in Texas though.........I think I'll just stay here and drive the pinkos NUTS. :)