Stop donating canned goods to food banks

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015

justlooking

Council Member
May 19, 2017
local food bank happily accepts gift cards for Costco, Foodland, etc.........
Charity is great, but it's best to not do it in the most inefficient way imaginable

I went to the Sally Ann a couple of years ago with a food donation.
They refused most of it.
So when they came for money, I refused them.

Charities getting picky = where is the money going ? Down a nice dark hole in the admin's pocket.

No thanks.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
They refused most of it.

Charities getting picky = where is the money going ? Down a nice dark hole in the admin's pocket.

No thanks.

Give your money to the Mennonite Relief. It's the most efficient charity around and almost all if what you donate translates into direct action. There is no high paid administration. Only a tiny trickle of your United Way donations actually go to the poor, etc. Most of it is used to power highly paid bureaucracy.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
local food bank happily accepts gift cards for Costco, Foodland, etc.........

Charity is great, but it's best to not do it in the most inefficient way imaginable

I’m begging you: Stop donating canned goods to food banks | National Post

Not what our local food bank is saying.But not just canned goods. ANything non perishable is good. SO me farm produce is accepted as well. Pet food too. Next weekend all the fire departments in the area are doing our annual food drive.

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
They refused most of it.

No thanks.
Next Christmas Eve why don't you wander down to the Sally Ann and look at what they actually do.

Nobody is more in the trenches, trying to help the least among us.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Not what our local food bank is saying.But not just canned goods. ANything non perishable is good. SO me farm produce is accepted as well. Pet food too. Next weekend all the fire departments in the area are doing our annual food drive.

Out of curiosity, what farm produce do you have that is non-perishable?

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Next Christmas Eve why don't you wander down to the Sally Ann and look at what they actually do.

Nobody is more in the trenches, trying to help the least among us.
Sally - Ann is the best charity, bar none.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Not only that, but you don't need a membership to Costco if you have a gift card.

Did you read the article....?

Food banks are 'short-term Band-Aid' on 'huge gaping wound,'

The aching problem of food insecurity is much larger than food bank statistics suggest and food banks are not solving the problem, says Mary Ellen Prange, chair of the Food Insecurity Workgroup.

"Only about one in four households that experience food insecurity actually uses a food bank," Prange told CBC Radio's Metro Morning on Wednesday.

Which is why Prange said food banks are "a short-term Band-Aid on this huge gaping wound."

Prange said food banks have created a secondary food system for impoverished people when what is needed are long-term solutions.

Prange is also with the Ontario Society of Nutrition Professionals in Public Heath, which released its position on food security earlier this month. The group said that "food charity is an ineffective and counterproductive response to food security because it does not address the root cause of poverty."

Prange stressed that donating to food banks is fine. But along with that she is calling on people to pressure politicians to take action by focusing on income-based solutions.

"So here in Toronto a living wage, what was calculated in 2015 around $19 an hour, even with our minimum wage going up to $15 an hour in 2019, we're still going to be falling short of what it costs for just basic living," she said.

more

Food banks are not solving food insecurity problem, expert says - CBC.ca | Metro Morning

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
The food banks will take what ever they can get.

We should be going direct from producer to food bank supply chains at the wholesale rate to meet the calculated demand ahead of time. We should be using Community gardens, and meat production, as well as growing herbs and spices too.

GLOBALISM WILL KILL US

Until insanity and addiction are treated correctly, instead of as money generation machines by industry, the government, and medical professionals too, the problem is only going to get worse.

(Please note: the government/industry/doctor created death by opiate epidemic as an example, or the insane taxes on addictive substances as another. Institutions with financially unjustifiable recidivism rates, but costing billions, have to go too.)

oh yeah

Experts predict robots will take over 30% of our jobs by 2025 — and white-collar jobs aren't immune
Experts predict that one third of jobs will be replaced by robots - Business Insider

...any real NEGATIVE change in the ratio between givers and needers is going to become fatal at some point.

Last edited: