Start of war? 15 Royal Marines and sailors seized by Iranians

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Where the hell was HMS Cornwall when this happened? If they were on approach to their ship, wouldn't the Cornwall have been able to see visually or with radar that there were vessels approaching? They shoulda blew em out of the water....

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
This is probly just coincidence but weren't islamic terrorists of the 7/7 bus bombing just arrested with much mob whipping hoopla a couple of days ago? haha Who want's to go to war for GW or Blair Petroleum.?:smile:

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Where the hell was HMS Cornwall when this happened? If they were on approach to their ship, wouldn't the Cornwall have been able to see visually or with radar that there were vessels approaching? They shoulda blew em out of the water....

I wonder where that HMS Cornwall got to? Somebody wasn't watching a boarding party, that's how to loose boarding partys isn't it?:smile:

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

That is what I am saying. I know the facts aren't in and at this point all we can do is speculate.

These Marines and sailors were in inflatables which typically are not open sea boats. Sure they can sail on the seas but I wouldn't think they were launched over the horizon if you know what I mean. If the Captain of the HMS Cornwall had this whole incident happen under his nose and he just watched the Iranians circle his crew and take them w/o a fight... well he should walk the plank.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
That is what I am saying. I know the facts aren't in and at this point all we can do is speculate.

These Marines and sailors were in inflatables which typically are not open sea boats. Sure they can sail on the seas but I wouldn't think they were launched over the horizon if you know what I mean. If the Captain of the HMS Cornwall had this whole incident happen under his nose and he just watched the Iranians circle his crew and take them w/o a fight... well he should walk the plank.

Hah, I noticed we kinda posted the same question.

Walk the plank for sure. Something isn't adding up.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
because one tells one kind of lies and the other tells others. Both serve themselves but usually only one makes money from it, which is probably why it's easier to tell when the loonies are talking BS

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran_Air_Flight_655
My post is waiting an OK from the mods, hopefully this one gets through

You are absolutly correct and I humbly apologize. I don't usually take Wiki as a definitive source as anyone can add to it but I read a link (off the site) of a report done by a USMC officer that said the Vincennes pursued Iranian Gunboats into Iranian territorial waters (12 miles) after an engagement and that is where they engaged the airliner.

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
we've all heard about that accident on Discovery MHz...it's nothing new....and it WAS and accident

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
You are absolutly correct and I humbly apologize. I don't usually take Wiki as a definitive source as anyone can add to it but I read a link (off the site) of a report done by a USMC officer that said the Vincennes pursued Iranian Gunboats into Iranian territorial waters (12 miles) after an engagement and that is where they engaged the airliner.
Nothing to apologize for Eagle.

we've all heard about that accident on Discovery MHz...it's nothing new....and it WAS and accident
I didn't say it wasn't an error. The info I am going by is that somehow the 'signal' being picked up was for a warplane still at an airport. (I'm still curious about warplanes using transponders if they are on an 'attack mission').
That being said the ship knowing that it was not where it had permission to be would still have had a 'extended sense of apprehension' for those aboard that ship.

I couldn't find anything that defines 'the rules' for who can be boarded in regarding Security Council Resolution 1723. If it is specific to Iraq, it would seem to be ships headed for an Iraqi port. The ship (one site identified it as Iranian, most others simply say 'merchant ship').

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Looks like the first step in a decisive invasion of Britain. The Brits aren't what they used to be and will prove a soft target for the well organized Iranians. I hope Iran stops there though. I think we're willing to cede them this one.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
Looks like the first step in a decisive invasion of Britain. The Brits aren't what they used to be and will prove a soft target for the well organized Iranians. I hope Iran stops there though. I think we're willing to cede them this one.

how do you see this as an invasion of britain? are u being sarcastic?