Spain's Solar Green Energy Giant About to Go Bankrupt

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Seems more like a mismanagement problem and lack of foresight than a failure to provide services. It will end up being bought out and reformed.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

I wonder.

If they are giving the money away and do not expect any return whatsoever it may be a good investment for them. Our last governor thought Massachusetts taxpayer money ($600K) was a great investment to Evergreen Solar even though they went bankrupt. When questioned afterwards he said it was a good investment and given the chance he'd do it again.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Bigger companies. Combinations of investors and entrepreneurs.

The Spanish Government bankrolled them with EU bailout money. The US pledged *snicker* $1.4 Billion ($2 Billion by another source) in loans.

Pledged... there's that word again.

Oh and bond holders are holding more than $5 BILLION in debt. Banks total exposure equals $21 BILLION!

GREAT INVESTMENT!

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Like I said, it will likely be acquired by someone or something else and REFORMED.

Actually, as far as that goes, Gates' personal fortune is worth some $80 billion. The 10 wealthiest families on the planet are worth over half a trillion. The 50 wealthiest companies on the planet are worth $108 billion and higher. $21 billion is as a cupful of water in a bathtub of water. And banks usually will settle for a percentage of the value owed anyways.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
And continue to lose billions.

I don't think Gates and Zuckerberg (for example) will be dumping millions into that money pit.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
What's that corny azz old cliché, we don't plan to fail we just fail to plan. Even when building a simple structure a set of blueprints is required in most places. You can shoot from the hip sometime but you might end up "building a boat in the basement", Sorry had to put that corny azz cliché in too.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
And continue to lose billions.
That would depend. Chrysler paid Iaccoco a handsome sum for getting it out of the red and into the black. It worked.

I don't think Gates and Zuckerberg (for example) will be dumping millions into that money pit.
Probably not but I bet some outfit will salvage it. I cannot see the banks swallowing the debt so if no-one steps up immediately, it will be discounted.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Well we will see. Perhaps someone will buy it for the scrap for pennies on the dollar.