Solar panels. Useless or the future?

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
If you know of a good place, please share, i will be eternally grateful
What Province are you in? Check out Kijiji in your area for Solar

There is such a thing as a flexible panel. And one has to do their homework before buying. Apparently (based on this manufacturers claim) there is a performance defect depending on the coating.

Semi flexible,100 watt solar panel from Sunpower USA, Grade A
Puts out 6 amps
Dimensions are 1060x540x3mm
Monocrystalline ETFE coating as opposed to cheaply made PET panels.
excellent quality solar panel, $175 firm, no tax

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
I have got several( 5) from the scrap pile over the last couple years, they just needed TLC and some soldering to repair.
cost:
not much

Musky

Time Out
May 19, 2017
its the political lack of math, science, and common sense that goes with them.

@ JB
btw: you can pick up not bad scrap batteries at the chandlry and rejuvenate them with Epsom salts and distilled water - on many of them it will work, and on the ones that it doesn't - back to the scrap pile.
Many batteries wind up there from seasonal refits, and so are still salvageable.

Not an answer.

My father in-law who lives up north draped black hosing all over his roof for hot water is as conservative as they come.

He does his own energy saving projects at home.

He even made some sort of heat device out of pop cans.

Some how the cons here just love praying to big oil, coal, gas....

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Not an answer.

My father in-law who lives up north draped black hosing all over his roof for hot water is as conservative as they come.

He does his own energy saving projects at home.

He even made some sort of heat device out of pop cans.

Some how the cons here just love praying to big oil, coal, gas....
Yes. A friend of mine made that heat device for his cottage some years ago and it works..........

www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLNViUsRCVU

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Solar is one part of many.

Again I don't get why people hate renewables.

I don't hate them. If you want to spend your money on solar panels, more power too you. But they need to stand on their own economic merits and not be propped up and subsidized by stupid taxes and subsidies.

For me they are a waste of money. Cost way too much to generate any significant power and not very reliable. And that even with the ridiculously high cost of electricity imposed on us by Ms. Wyne.

Musky

Time Out
May 19, 2017
I don't hate them. If you want to spend your money on solar panels, more power too you. But they need to stand on their own economic merits and not be propped up and subsidized by stupid taxes and subsidies.

That's fine.

Same for any other forms of energy.

Right?

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
That's fine.

Same for any other forms of energy.

Right?

No more or less than others. If the business qualifies for a tax break, fine. But no special subsidies for any industry.

Of course, one only has to look at Bombardier and see that we do not live in a perfect world and there is tones of corporate welfare. Doesn't make it right.