Should the Commonwealth have its own Peace Corps?

Should the Commonwealth create its own Peace Corp as described in the OP?

• Yes.

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • No.

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Other answer.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Do you have any evidence to back up your claim that the US Peace Corp was ever used for political motives? I'm not saying that's never happened, but just curious as to your sources. Also, even if it should be proven true, I don't see why a Peace Corp would necessarily have to be tarnished by the actions of governments that have tried to use it wrongfully. I still think the basic concept of a Peace Corp in its own right is a good idea. Beyond rhetoric, what real fault have you revealed about it so far?

Machjo, you are a good man and you want to see everybody happy, the same power that you want to mobilize to the good work has depended on good honest intentions to work the vilest evil since the beginning. see Trojan Horses. Imperial benevolence is a myth. That is why empires are feared and loathed.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Would this Peace Corp be far cheaper than the private security teams we hire now to protect CDN resource developers in foreign countries? I hope so cuz i'd like to charge more for working under such radical measures.

Thanks,

You mean the Canadian taxpayer pays for private security for private for-profit developers abroad? That's just sick! If that's true, they should pay for their own security.

As for whether a Peace Corp would be cheaper or not, I honestly don't know. But at least it would be a better use of resources than to provide private security for for-profit corporations abroad.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
You mean the Canadian taxpayer pays for private security for private for-profit developers abroad? That's just sick! If that's true, they should pay for their own security.

As for whether a Peace Corp would be cheaper or not, I honestly don't know. But at least it would be a better use of resources than to provide private security for for-profit corporations abroad.
If you don't like it call your MP. Matter o' fact I bet you'll be pummeled with "flow through shares" ads telling you that we are building a strong future in "( your province here) resources". Hell I bet half your CPP is invested in offshore resource developments but hey what do I know right?

Psssssssssst. It looks really really really bad on TV when CDN resource exploitation is exposed and there is military around so we went private. Ask your MP..if they are honest they'll tell ya.

Last edited:

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
The very organization that started all this trouble? Don't think any decedents of mother England should be involved in anything to do with peace. In Approx. 156 Christianity reached England and we have been fighting over it ever since.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
The very organization that started all this trouble? Don't think any decedents of mother England should be involved in anything to do with peace. In Approx. 156 Christianity reached England and we have been fighting over it ever since.

It may have reached England but never took hold.

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
Where's the beef/peace? The US peace corp was always an extension of US policy by other means, other than peace. Where could the common wealth (if it were to remain extant by some supreme intervention/miracle) find people stupid enough to believe peace would be delivered by former bombing and strafeing types. What you're selling is roughly equivilent to Nazi Germany making the same benevolent offer to it's newly flattened conquests. It will fly like a lead pelican.

What other country has the insight, generosity, gumption or money for that matter to create and fund a peace corps. No one but the U.S. to bad some just talk about it. Would be nice if other countries got involved with more than criticism and their mouths. There is room for everyone. Just for the record, the "Peace Corps" was not created to make peace, just to help people live.