Should Religions be entitled to Tax Exempt Status

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
That all you got for an intelligent response G?

The stupidity of what I quoted is all it is worth.

What I want explaining is if god is all powerful and controls the entire universe why does he need the human invention of cash? And isn't money also the 'root of all evil'? Why would god want any of that? Maybe it's just the church that is evil? Or the people who run the church and want your money are evil.

He doesn't need the human invention of cash. It's so sad that you don't have the where with all to differentiate between what "man" says is required and what God actually does require. It's very typical of the limited brain capacity of the atheist breed.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
The stupidity of what I quoted is all it is worth.

He doesn't need the human invention of cash. It's so sad that you don't have the where with all to differentiate between what "man" says is required and what God actually does require. It's very typical of the limited brain capacity of the atheist breed.

As soon as God tells me what he requires I might take it under advisement. Until then it is ALL what man says god wants and totally unreliable and unbelievable and that is what the church is worth...

I am not an athiest fyi, paternally Anglican Christian and Maternally Jewish.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
As soon as God tells me what he requires I might take it under advisement. Until then it is ALL what man says god wants and totally unreliable and unbelievable and that is what the church is worth...

Then stop blaming shyte on God.

You sound like wizard when it comes to the police/judges/government.

I am not an athiest fyi, paternally Anglican Christian and Maternally Jewish.

I really don't give a rats ass what you were brought up under or what your family history is. You speak like an atheist that doesn't believe in God.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Then stop blaming shyte on God.

You sound like wizard when it comes to the police/judges/government.

OK, you do kinda have me there that 'religion' and all the bullsh*t that goes along with it are a human creation...no need to gloat too much ;-)

I really don't give a rats ass what you were brought up under or what your family history is. You speak like an atheist that doesn't believe in God.

I don't believe anything that can't be proven. You cannot prove God so I don't really believe. I don't know if that makes me atheist or agnostic or just plain old logical and I don't care.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I don't believe anything that can't be proven. You cannot prove God so I don't really believe. I don't know if that makes me atheist or agnostic or just plain old logical and I don't care.

Proof is different things to different people.

If 'God' is all powerful, he doesn't need our tax money to keep up his club.

Right on, I think His "proponents" get most of the money! :smile:

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Proof is different things to different people.

No, actually proof is proof all the time. Unless you are gullible and then proof can be anything...in which case I will prove to you red is really green and have some fun watching you at traffic lights. :lol:

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Yes they should because of their community service and charity. Religion has a net beneficial effect on society. Religions should be able to voice their dogma, but they if they endorse politicians or political parties they should loose their charitable status.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Property owned by religious groups and income gathered by religious groups are mostly Tax Exempt.

But should they be Tax Exempt if they are going to get involved in such things as voicing their positions on political issues or environmental issues?? Are they crossing the line from being a religious group to advocacy group?

What about the Muslim religion, some say the qran is not a religious book but a philosophy of life book??

You raise two issues but I will only address the first.

A 501(c)3 organization loses its tax exempt status if it engages in political lobbying under the Internal Revenue Code. That's how it should always remain.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Churches that provide service to the underprivileged should receive tax exempt
status and for income before service they should receive a tax bill like the rest of
us.
As for being involved in politics? I say yes, left and right, Churches, Unions and
other activist groups are part of the democratic process and as such are part of
our society and like any other group they should be able to express their opinion.
As many know I am not particularly happy with the positions most of them take
but I agree they should have a right to speak out.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
they should be able to express their opinion

Parish members are not enjoined from publishing editorials in their respective newspapers or other media. They are only granted tax exemption after signing a pledge not to publicly lobby. Any lobbying violates their pledge and the law.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Churches that provide service to the underprivileged should receive tax exempt
status and for income before service they should receive a tax bill like the rest of
us.
As for being involved in politics? I say yes, left and right, Churches, Unions and
other activist groups are part of the democratic process and as such are part of
our society and like any other group they should be able to express their opinion.
As many know I am not particularly happy with the positions most of them take
but I agree they should have a right to speak out.

I have to disagree completely.

Democracy is a form of government in which all eligible citizens have an equal say in the decisions that affect their lives. Democracy allows people to participate equally—either directly or through elected representatives—in the proposal, development, and creation of laws. It encompasses social, economic and cultural conditions that enable the free and equal practice of political self-determination.

If you notice in the definition it talks about people & citizens, not churches, unions or corporations. These phony legal entities have NO place in a democracy. Democracy is about individuals. The bastardized version we have today is nothing like what it really should be. Over years the politicians have pimped themselves out to these organizations that care nothing for the citizen and seek to advance their own agenda giving us this undemocratic system. What first needs to be recognized is the difference between a person and a 'fictional legal entity' such as a church or corporation. Basically if it doesn't breathe and doesn't bleed it is not an individual citizen and under every constitution I know has no rights in government. The fact that we allow these entities to have rights and allow our politicians to pass unconstitutional laws giving these entities right is appalling to me. You want to complain about the financial crisis? Look to yourself for not standing up to government and forcing these entities out of our governmental system. You want to complain about selling off our resources? Look at yourself for letting the government subvert democracy.

Until we get every entity that is not an individual citizen and every dollar not from an individual citizen out of our government we will never have a democracy as it should be.

On another note...5 big reds today and all of them from....well you know who they are from...

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
I have no problem with religious groups being involved in politics, but they should lose their charitable status and tax exemptions. Treat them like any other business. It's all accounting, money in and money out. Time to simply the tax code. Same for all the other bogus charities out there too.

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
Property owned by religious groups and income gathered by religious groups are mostly Tax Exempt.

But should they be Tax Exempt if they are going to get involved in such things as voicing their positions on political issues or environmental issues?? Are they crossing the line from being a religious group to advocacy group?

What about the Muslim religion, some say the qran is not a religious book but a philosophy of life book??

Nope. Unless atheists can have it too.