Shooting in Downtown Toronto......Happy Boxing Day!

bhoour

Electoral Member
May 10, 2005
earth
One person has died and four people are injured after gunfire broke out amid hundreds of shoppers in downtown Toronto on Boxing Day, police say.

Police officials told CBC News shortly before 7 p.m. EST that a victim had died after being shot.

They gave no further details but earlier had said that a girl had been taken to hospital in serious condition with unspecified injuries.

The shootings took place at about 5:20 p.m. on one of the best-known streets in the country, Yonge Street, about two blocks north of Dundas Street and the Eaton Centre shopping mall.

Police have cordoned off at least three blocks along Yonge Street, in a normally busy stretch that is lined with stores, bars and restaurants.

CBC TV reporter Ioanna Roumeliotis, who was at the scene, said several people told her they heard "cracking noises" during the shootings.

"But because it's such a busy day, because it is Boxing Day and there were so many people out and about, a lot of people didn't even realize what had happened until people actually hit the ground," Roumeliotis said.

Early reports incorrectly said four people were shot and one person killed. Officials later confirmed there were five victims.

Two people were arrested at the nearby Castle Frank subway station.

Police have not released the names or ages of the victims or suspects.

They said all but one of the victims were minors

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA
This just goes to show that the gun registry in Canada is completely useless as criminals will not register their firearms. Two billion plus down the tubes.

What is needed is tougher punishment for those convicted of gun crimes. Scrap the gun registry, and drastically increase prison time for those committing gun related crimes.

We need to get back to punishing the criminals, not the law abiding folks.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Nascar_James said:
This just goes to show that the gun registry in Canada is completely useless as criminals will not register their firearms. Two billion plus down the tubes.

What is needed is tougher punishment for those convicted of gun crimes. Scrap the gun registry, and drastically increase prison time for those committing gun related crimes.

Oh crap...... If guns were not available and totally illegal .......these shootings might diminish. Get rid of guns......and solve those temper tantrums non violently or with fists...... As long as guns are available and previlent......both parties will have and use them. ........

but this keeps lawyers in business with hi fees......so who benefits??

Just watch the gun lovers react to this one.. :roll:

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA
Ocean Breeze said:
Nascar_James said:

Oh crap...... If guns were not available and totally illegal .......these shootings might diminish. Get rid of guns......and solve those temper tantrums non violently or with fists...... As long as guns are available and previlent......both parties will have and use them. ........

but this keeps lawyers in business with hi fees......so who benefits??

Just watch the gun lovers react to this one.. :roll:

Not feasable OB, as many of us are avid target shooters and own guns for hobby. If you remove a law abiding individual's right to head out to the shooting range with his guns, you are infringing on his freedom. Restricting his freedom to head to the shooting range due to the actions of a few criminals.

Once again, the criminal wins.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Shooting in Downtown

'Cause your freedom to shoot paper targets trumps my freedom not to get shot for going to the mall, James? I don't think so.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
:roll: :roll: :roll: :? :?:

that must be part of the "with us or agin us " brainwashing......as it makes absolutely no sense

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Ocean Breeze said:
:roll: :roll: :roll: :? :?:

that must be part of the "with us or agin us " brainwashing......as it makes absolutely no sense

Just WHAT does the criminal "win"...??? time in the penitentiary?? A criminal record??? Being watched by the law from then on??

You guys really have a problem in your thought processes./deduction skills....ever since the Pharoah got into your brains.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Nobody has explained in any logical fashion why it's acceptable to register vehicles, yet for some reason it's impossible to register firearms.

And nobody has explained in any logical fashion why the national gun registry couldn't use the same technology and software as all of the provincial motor vehicle registries. I know the reason; because that would eliminate a way to put millions into the hands of Liberal friends.

Paranoid Dot Calm

Council Member
Jul 6, 2004
Hide-Away Lane, Toronto
If we were to read the financial news each day, it would simply demand of us to become armed and dangerous.

Each time we hear of another lay-off .... just another reason to get off our asses and buy some more bullets.

Crime is like pollution. It's everywhere and governments want us all to believe that they got it under control. But all yuh gotta do is notice how many school kids are carrying inhalers in their school bags to recognize that it ain't under control.

Crimes of motive can be diminished by making crime a low-profit activity relative to working for a living. Crime entails labour, and if most people could make more money working honestly for the same amount of labour, there will be far fewer criminals.

The worst is yet to come.

Calm

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
Re: RE: Shooting in Downtown

Reverend Blair said:
Stay down there in Jesusland, Nascar. The last thing we need is a whack of inbred vigilantes shooting back.

8O :lol: :lol: :lol:

that was good, rev!

indeed, longer jail terms only result in higher costs to the citizens for maintaining those imprisoned. the solution is to address the root problems, not go all vigilante or harsh punishment. The US is a good case study for how harsh punishment solves nothing.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Re: RE: Shooting in Downtown

Reverend Blair said:
Stay down there in Jesusland, Nascar. The last thing we need is a whack of inbred vigilantes shooting back.

Ah Rev, where were you?

I was getting bored, and my blood pressure was almost down to normal. :D

Perhaps, in regard to the above post, you would like to explain how gun crime/murder has fallen dramatically in the states that have introduced "right to carry" laws?

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Re: RE: Shooting in Downtown Toronto......Happy Boxing Day!

TenPenny said:
Nobody has explained in any logical fashion why it's acceptable to register vehicles, yet for some reason it's impossible to register firearms.

And nobody has explained in any logical fashion why the national gun registry couldn't use the same technology and software as all of the provincial motor vehicle registries. I know the reason; because that would eliminate a way to put millions into the hands of Liberal friends.

I can't get ten years for failure to register a vehicle.

If I only use a vehicle on my own land, I don't have to register it.

Nobody is going to come and confiscate my vehicle if I register it.

If I have more than ten vehicles registered, that does not automatically cancel my right to be free from unreasonable search, and my right to remain silent.

There is no reference to a right to own vehicles in our constitutional law.

Vehicle registration laws are part of provincial, non-criminal law.

bhoour

Electoral Member
May 10, 2005
earth
Guns kill .
Period.
That is what they are made for .
The origional intent, was not target practice.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

bhoour said:
Guns kill .
Period.

What is your point?

Sorry, I don't quite get it.

Does that mean only the powerful, and their men-at-arms should be allowed the ability to use arms?

We tried that. It was called feudalism, and we were slaves.

Edited to add:

Funny, I own about 20 guns, and I haven't killed anyone.

AND Guns don't kill people. I have never in my long experience as an armed nutso, who hangs with other armed nutsos, ever heard of a firearm killing anyone by itself. People kill people. Sometimes they use guns, sometimes not. BUT in 30 years of memberships in gun clubs, hunting, shooting, and professional involvement with guns I have never known anyone hurt or wounded that was not involved in criminal activity. NOT ONCE!.

bhoour

Electoral Member
May 10, 2005
earth

Colpy said:
bhoour said:
Guns kill .
Period.

What is your point?

My point is that guns kill.

Sorry, I don't quite get it.

You would if you were shot.

Does that mean only the powerful, and their men-at-arms should be allowed the ability to use arms?

No.

We tried that. It was called feudalism, and we were slaves.

Things haven't changed , you still are.

Edited to add:

Funny, I own about 20 guns, and I haven't killed anyone.

I find that quite excessive. Why is that necessary??? Different shaped bullet holes on your targets, or the animals you hunt? Larger exit wounds?
Really, isn't one ,more than enough?????

AND Guns don't kill people. I have never in my long experience as an armed nutso, who hangs with other armed nutsos, ever heard of a firearm killing anyone by itself. People kill people. Sometimes they use guns, sometimes not. BUT in 30 years of memberships in gun clubs, hunting, shooting, and professional involvement with guns I have never known anyone hurt or wounded that was not involved in criminal activity. NOT ONCE!.

Really?
That's probably why you don't understand. I have, twice. (innocent bystander, hunting accident. )
It's terrible right.......???
Isolated incidents.............?
The chances of someone being shot ......are slim
If you took the guns out of both situations, and left the people, my friends would not be dead.
Guns kill people.

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
that is a rediculous argument, nascar.

if we were to apply that type of logic to everything in society there would be nothing left.

see the following:
False analogy
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
Jump to: navigation, search
False analogy is a logical fallacy applying to inductive arguments.

In an analogy two concepts, objects, or events proposed to be similar in nature (A and B) are shown to have some common relationship with another property. The premise is that A has property X, and thus B must also have property X (due to the assumed similarity of A and B). Unfortunately, in the case of a false analogy, A and B are only superficially similar (if that) and are different in some fundamental way which influences their relationship with property X.

For example, in the field of International relations theory, the fallacy known as the 'domestic analogy' is committed when relationships between political communities (nations) are treated as analogous to relations within political communities (between individuals), such that familiar morals and remedies for interpersonal issues are projected onto foreign policy narratives (Hidemi Suganami, The Domestic Analogy and World Order Proposals, CUP, 1989).

Another example is the following:

Women are like tornados: they tear your life apart when they enter it and take your stuff with them when they leave.
Tornados are meterological phenomena.
Therefore, women are meterological phenomena.
This argument assumes that two subjects, namely women and tornados, which are comically alike in some respects are, therefore, alike in many other respects.

bhoour

Electoral Member
May 10, 2005
earth
Cars also have an alternate purpose to killing - transportation. Guns don't........only killing.
I do think that cars should be banned, but that is a whole different thread.