Seniors and the generation spending gap

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Poor diet and Depression

Link between fast food and depression confirmed -- ScienceDaily

New study along the same lines as its predecessors shows how eating fast food is linked to a greater risk of suffering from depression. This study has been published in the Public Health Nutrition journal

Junk food blues: Are depression and diet related? - Mayo Clinic

Depression and diet may be related. Some preliminary research suggests that having a poor diet can make you more vulnerable to depression.

Looks like they're starting to study it.

Apart from additives to the junk foods, wouldn't just the thought of eating the sh*t be enough to depress one? -:)

I play in a multisport league this fall. Last week was basketball. This week it's indoor soccer. Next week it's dodgeball. Works out to about $4 per night.

Hey, save yourself $4 a night and be healthier! Walk (DO NOT run) 4 miles a day up and down hills, much better for the cardo vascular than that stop and go bull sh*t and much easier on the joints.

Rising debt threatens to plunge world back into financial crisis, top economists warn | Financial Post

I wonder which generation is causing this phenomenon!!! I doubt if it can be blamed on us old dodderers. -:) -:)

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
There's one slight teeny little hitch there. My generation certainly didn't teach people to spend money they don't have. -:)

There is a generation who mastered the art of the sell though. Marketing, branding, creating a buzz and manipulating people into thinking they have to have something. The keeping up with the jones' mentality is a retailers dream

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
There's one slight teeny little hitch there. My generation certainly didn't teach people to spend money they don't have. -:)

Of course you did. What do you think budget deficits are. We've been through this before. I was still in diapers when your generation started living on borrowed money so you could have government programs.

There is a generation who mastered the art of the sell though. Marketing, branding, creating a buzz and manipulating people into thinking they have to have something. The keeping up with the jones' mentality is a retailers dream

...and the "keeping up with the jones" mentality was alive and well long before my generation came along

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Of course you did. What do you think budget deficits are. We've been through this before. I was still in diapers when your generation started living on borrowed money so you could have government programs.

Not in our household was there any gov't programs except for family allowance at $6 per month.

...and the "keeping up with the jones" mentality was alive and well long before my generation came along

That mentality has always been around but among individuals, it was wasn't a generational thing. There are always freeloaders. You should read up on some history instead of always making things up. You are a laughing stock for anyone with any savvy. -:)

Kathie Bondar

Kathie Bondar
May 11, 2010
Calgary, Alberta
Seniors and the generation spending gap

Why are we doing so much to try to help seniors when they’re already the wealthiest generation in history?

Tamsin McMahon
September 6, 2014

At age 89, Larry South would have been forgiven if he had chosen to retire on a sunny beach in Florida. Instead, the former MPP from Kingston, Ont., recently embarked on a political battle to overhaul the municipal property tax system. South had been growing increasingly concerned that elderly homeowners on fixed incomes were struggling to cope with rising property taxes because of the soaring value of their homes, while at the same time he fretted that young workers, with their stagnant wages, were being shut out of the housing market. And so South proposed replacing property taxes with a tax equal to 4.5 per cent of a homeowner’s yearly household income. Doing so would make it easier for young workers to afford the cost of owning a home, while struggling seniors, he believed, would be the biggest beneficiaries.
But in his quest to change the tax system, he has come across an unlikely foe—his elderly friends. Like South, a former engineer who estimates he earns a retirement income that’s 30 to 40 per cent above the $86,000 household average in Kingston, many of his friends also pull in six-figure retirement incomes. Thanks to their high earnings, many would end up paying more in taxes under South’s plan than they do under the existing property tax system. Some, he says, resent the idea of paying more in tax than their younger, lower-income neighbours. “There’s not many that would have an income much less than $100,000, so their taxes will go up,” he says. “But they shouldn’t expect to be subsidized by the poor.”
South’s struggle to reform the property tax system, and the resistance he’s found among his affluent elderly friends, underscores what has been a remarkable shift in the nature of wealth in Canada. Seniors have long been considered society’s most vulnerable citizens, fragile pensioners on fixed incomes in need of a financial helping hand from both government and agile younger workers. That was true decades ago, but not anymore. Thanks to stock market booms, economic growth, a soaring real estate market and a major expansion in both private and government pension plans, today’s seniors are arguably the wealthiest generation in history. The changing fortunes of the elderly have been both swift and profound. In the 1970s, nearly 40 per cent of Canadian seniors lived in poverty. Today it’s five per cent, half the poverty rate of the working-age population and one-third the rate of poverty among children.
Seniors have seen their wealth quadruple since 1984, according to a Bank of Montreal study released last month, far outpacing the growth of wealth among younger Canadians. The stunning transformation of the balance sheets of the elderly is thanks to a combination of financial discipline, public policy and good timing. Many of today’s seniors were the babies born in the aftermath of the Great Depression who learned to abhor debt and save aggressively. (The average Canadian senior has a debt load equal to just five per cent of their total wealth, compared to a 99 per cent debt-to-wealth ratio for their Boomer children.) At the same time as they were socking away their hard-earned money, seniors got a major boost from the introduction of public benefits like Canada Pension Plan, Old Age Security and taxpayer-funded health care, which has helped push the poverty rate among elderly Canadians to one of the lowest in the Western world. Many benefited from decades of economic growth while being spared the brunt of the 2008 meltdown because they had already shifted their savings into low-risk investments when they retired, says Goshka Folda, senior managing director of research firm Investor Economics. During the depth of the recession in 2009, 86 per cent of retirees told Statistics Canada researchers that they weren’t financially stressed and were living better in retirement than they had expected.

Not everyone is benefiting from these changes, however. The fortunes of younger Canadians haven’t improved nearly as much as they have for the elderly. In the 1980s, the typical senior was four times wealthier than the average 20-something. Today’s seniors are now on average nine times richer than their Millennial grandchildren. In fact, many of the trends and policies that have worked in favour of seniors have come at the expense of younger generations. That’s led some to warn of a coming generational war if public focus and resources aren’t shifted away from seniors to younger workers who are struggling far more than their parents ever did.

More: Seniors and the generation spending gap - Macleans.ca
That senior has worked fifty years more than you have. Fifty years ago wages were much lower, hour longer and working conditions worst that you can ever imagine. So now, after long years of labor the vultures are out to clean him out of his rightful earnings.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
O

Yes, but the types of items available for purchase were never as grand and or abundantly easy to purchase on credit, at a whim, on impulse, and all of it from home.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Proof that marketing, branding has worked. The next generation will have no idea what it's like to HAVE to save up for something. They'll always be in the process of paying EVERYTHING off. That's assuming that interest rates don't go up to the point where half of them have to file for personal bankruptcy.

I guess that would depend on how one raised their children.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Not in our household was there any gov't programs except for family allowance at $6 per month.

Don't be silly JLM, government programs don't consist merely of the government handing out cheques. Have you ever stopped to consider how much you have benefitted form CMHC? Do you really think you paid the real cost of sending and recieving mail?

That mentality has always been around but among individuals, it was wasn't a generational thing. There are always freeloaders. You should read up on some history instead of always making things up. You are a laughing stock for anyone with any savvy. -:)

lolz

Yes, but the types of items available for purchase were never as grand and or abundantly easy to purchase on credit, at a whim, on impulse, and all of it from home.

Yes, isn't it great?

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I don't think you of all people should be giving tips on what is and isn't healthy but in any event, perhaps you could help JLM find a link supporting his claim that being 20 lbs overweight is a good thing.

I know so much more about health than probably anyone you know including your quack. Now pay attention while the adults have an intilligent conversation.

Blame or fact?

Bit of both. What you eat is for most people more important than how much they eat.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
I know so much more about health than probably anyone you know including your quack.

Based on the silliness you've posted on this forum, I seriously doubt that. I understand you think you do but what the hell, JLM thinks he's savvy so clearly belief and reality don't intersect.

Now pay attention while the adults have an intilligent conversation.

Who else is here?

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Poor diet and Depression

Link between fast food and depression confirmed -- ScienceDaily

New study along the same lines as its predecessors shows how eating fast food is linked to a greater risk of suffering from depression. This study has been published in the Public Health Nutrition journal

Junk food blues: Are depression and diet related? - Mayo Clinic

Depression and diet may be related. Some preliminary research suggests that having a poor diet can make you more vulnerable to depression.

Looks like they're starting to study it.

Naturopaths have been studying it since before we were born. Except maybe cannot since he obviously has several millinia of information on hand. Among the worst things today are the new breed of agressive yeasts and the chemical coctails that constitute packaged food. Our bodies simply are not designed to digest this stuff.

Based on the silliness you've posted on this forum, I seriously doubt that. I understand you think you do but what the hell, JLM thinks he's savvy so clearly belief and reality don't intersect.

Who else is here?

Almost everyone except you.

Who else is here?

Almost everyone except you.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

Proving for all time your stupidity. whoever made that post in wiki does not know much.
My wife graduated from a Naturopathic college in Germany that was teaching medicine before Canada was even a country. Her job is dealing with food disorders. Mostly people that have given up on what the pil pushers peddle to them.