Saskatchewan RCMP say 10 dead, 15 hospitalized after stabbings, suspects still at large

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Time runs together on me, Day to Day and week to week and year to year…. but about 15 to 20 years ago we had a situation….

It was the day before a good friend was getting married and even though he lived with his girl for several years it’s some kind of bad luck to see the bride the day before the wedding (?) so I had the groom and the grooms father and a couple other guys staying at my place the night before the wedding. That’s the background.

About 12:30 AM, there is a loud bang and crash in my backyard which has a 6 foot fence around it. I am up immediately and as I’m going out the back door I grab a knife off the rack above the stove. Our Rottweiler and I roll out the door at the same time. I’m standing on my back steps in my underwear with a chefs knife as the Rottweiler does this triangular pattern with his nose to the ground repeatedly….
View attachment 15881Short version of the story is the Rottweiler traps some dude underneath my barbeque. we phone in his identification numbers to the police (PIC#, Prisoner ID#, Health Card#, DOB, everything!!!) & The response time was 45 minutes….& we live 12 city blocks from the police station.
View attachment 15880Turns out that the police were chasing this guy as he was on foot for 4+ hours until he got away into our backyard, and ended up trapped inside the fence line with locked gates….& couldn’t get out in time before we trapped him. The dog outweighed the criminal and even this guy after the first 1/2 hour was complaining that “where is a cop when you need one?” as he was on his knees with his hands on top of his head as the Rottweiler circled him like a shark.
View attachment 15879
When we first rolled out the back door, The police were still in my alley. When we called in this guys ID, & that the dog had him trapped, they were in no hurry to retrieve him. 45 minute response time (& that with a dozen officers when they finally arrived)? Meh….it is what it is, & we’ve had much longer police response times to more violent situations.

Two-ish decades later, our defence is scaled back due to attrition & our age, but you have to be able to rely on yourselves until police are able to, or decide to, respond.
View attachment 15882
Sounds like they knew what was going on and left the guy trapped by your dog to scare the bejesus out of him .

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Sounds like they knew what was going on and left the guy trapped by your dog to scare the bejesus out of him .
That’s exactly it, & we as the entire wedding party on the male side of things, we just wanted to go to bed again because it was gonna be a long day.

they had been chasing this guy on foot (All the police in vehicles, at this guy jumping fances and going where vehicles couldn’t go) since 8 PM when he violated his parole conditions the night before…. so he had been running for 4&1/2hrs with police vehicles chasing him before he ended up in our yard. They were in no hurry to rescue him.

Just comparing response times between this situation in James Smith Rez…. and they were almost identical.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
That’s exactly it, & we as the entire wedding party on the male side of things, we just wanted to go to bed again because it was gonna be a long day.

they had been chasing this guy on foot (All the police in vehicles, at this guy jumping fances and going where vehicles couldn’t go) since 8 PM when he violated his parole conditions the night before…. so he had been running for 4&1/2hrs with police vehicles chasing him before he ended up in our yard. They were in no hurry to rescue him.

Just comparing response times between this situation in James Smith Rez…. and they were almost identical.
You must have had no shortage of stories at the wedding and it is probably still a regular topic of the wedding party .

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
LOL - cop: "hmmm, scare this guy straight with the criminal justice system, or a rottweiler? Justice.. rottie.. justice.... rottie... ya know, i think imma just answer a few texts to the wife here, and ... oooo is that a new crossword

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
You must have had no shortage of stories at the wedding and it is probably still a regular topic of the wedding party .
Weirdly, it was a double wedding which was weird by itself (two Brides & two Grooms), and the other side of the wedding…. several of the police officers that refuse to go into my yard to get this Criminal (we had to walk him out because the police refused to enter)…. were guests at the wedding reception.

We never did say that it was our house and our dog but we eavesdropped on the conversations as the police officers got drunker and drunker….& with them telling the story over and over my dog kept getting bigger and bigger. 😁

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Saskatchewan RCMP say one suspect killed 11 in rampage, including brother
Author of the article:Canadian Press
Canadian Press
Mickey Djuric
Publishing date:Oct 06, 2022 • 1 day ago • 3 minute read • Join the conversation

REGINA — A member of James Smith Cree Nation was wrongfully accused by RCMP of killing an individual during the stabbing attacks last month in the community and in the nearby village of Weldon, Sask.

Assistant Commissioner Rhonda Blackmore said evidence shows Damien Sanderson did not kill anyone during the rampage and was killed by his own brother.

Blackmore said Myles Sanderson killed Damien Sanderson and 10 others on Sept. 4. Eighteen people were injured.

“Myles Sanderson committed all of the homicides alone,” Blackmore said Thursday.

Blackmore said there is evidence to suggest Damien Sanderson was involved in the planning and preparation of the attacks, although the extent of that involvement is still being investigated.

A day after the stabbings, as police searched for the brothers across the province, RCMP charged them with first-degree murder.

Damien Sanderson faced one count of first-degree murder, attempted murder and break and enter, but the charges were dropped after his body was found near one of the crime scenes on the First Nation on Sept. 5. At the time, police said he died from non-self-inflicted wounds.

On Sept. 7, police chased and stopped Myles Sanderson in a stolen vehicle near Rosthern, Sask. A short time later, he went into medical distress and died.

“The Saskatchewan RCMP believes it is important to clarify Damien’s involvement,” Blackmore said.

“Our investigators continue to corroborate witness statements with physical evidence and exhibits to create an accurate picture of the motives behind these crimes and why some of the victims were targeted.”

The new information was part of a timeline RCMP released that outlined what the brothers were up to in the day days before the attack.

Blackmore said the brothers were selling drugs in the community on Sept. 3 and had violently assaulted three people that day.

“It is unknown at this point whether any weapons were involved,” Blackmore said, adding that the assaults were not reported to police.

Mounties had been on the First Nation earlier that morning looking for Damien Sanderson. Someone had anonymously reported that he had stolen their vehicle a day earlier, and he was wanted on a warrant for a previous assault charge.

Officers had an outdated photo of Damien Sanderson from eight years ago, Blackmore said.

Two officers found the stolen vehicle and entered a nearby home to see if he was one of the seven people inside. But no one identified themselves by that name.

“We later confirmed Damien provided a false name to responding officers during the search of the residence,” Blackmore said. “He had been at the residence and verbally provided the officers the name of another — a real person in the community.”

RCMP said they had no information or indication that would suggest there would be violence in the community the next morning.

“The events that were going to unfold the next day were unknown to police at that time,” Blackmore said, noting that when police responded to the First Nation on Sept. 3, there was no mention of Myles Sanderson.

Blackmore said the idea that RCMP could have prevented the massacre because of their presence on the First Nation a day before the attacks is “pure speculation.”

“We had no indication that there had been violence committed (on Sept. 3). The assaults that occurred were not reported to police before the mass casualty events that occurred on Sept. 4, and we had no reason to believe that they were going to commit these events.”

Blackmore said it will likely take months for investigators to compile a full timeline of what happened.

“The reality is we may never really know exactly why,” she said.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I’m quoting myself from Post #35 in this thread due to earlier mention of the Gladeau Principles in sentencing:

Sorry in advance for the long winded quote of the link below:

In a speech to the Canadian Bar Association last week, Justice Minister David Lametti said his government is “seriously considering” bail reform, and that he looks forward to discussing it with his provincial counterparts at a forthcoming meeting. In a recent letter, all 13 provincial and territorial premiers supported implementing a “reverse onus” provision on bail for defendants charged with certain gun crimes: Instead of the Crown having to prove the case against bail, the defendant would have to prove a case for it.

The impetus for the premiers’ letter was the murder of Ontario Provincial Police Constable Grzegorz Pierzchala in December, allegedly by 25-year-old Randall McKenzie, whose criminal record would turn even many bleeding hearts to stone: assaulting girlfriends, assaulting a peace officer, armed robbery, stabbing a fellow inmate in prison and various other weapons and assault charges. On releasing him from prison in 2021, a Parole Board correctly deemed him a high risk to reoffend.

Later that year, he allegedly attacked his ex-girlfriend (punched her in the head), her new partner (stabbed twice) and two children (menaced them in the family vehicle). One of those kids was his own. He was found with a handgun he was prohibited to own and, before being arrested, he managed to headbutt a police officer. He was initially denied bail for these alleged offences, but after seven months, he was ordered released on supposedly strict terms including electronic monitoring.

When this news broke, the question on everyone’s lips was “what the hell was he doing out?” Thanks to the Globe and Mail, we now know the answer: Because he was Indigenous.

We can’t really have a serious discussion about bail reform without discussing that. But I suspect Lametti, and several of his reconciliation-oriented provincial counterparts, would rather climb under a table and hide.

The Globe’s transcript of McKenzie’s bail hearing shows a judge who clearly didn’t want to let McKenzie out, but felt he had no choice. “He’s got a record, this was a gun case, this was a lot of violence in the middle of the daylight with his young son right there, a gun was involved (and) he has breached (bail) conditions in the past,” Justice Harrison Arrell told the Crown prosecutor, sympathetically.

“I don’t mind telling you it’s a very iffy case,” he concluded, “but I do feel my obligation is something I can’t ignore — (McKenzie) being a status Aboriginal.”

{Gladue principles are a way for the judge to consider the unique circumstances (experiences) of Indigenous peoples. These unique circumstances include the challenges of colonization you, your family, and community faced and resisted as Indigenous people, and continue to affect you today.}

The obligation in question stems from a 1995 amendment to the Criminal Code that added a new “sentencing principle”: Section 718.2(e) says “all available sanctions, other than imprisonment, that are reasonable in the circumstances and consistent with the harm done to victims or to the community should be considered for all offenders, with particular attention to the circumstances of Aboriginal offenders.” The goal was to reduce the overrepresentation of Indigenous people in Canada’s prisons and jails.

The idea behind this, though well intentioned to purchase the support of Reservations in….wait for it…Quebec…to sell the idea that “The Chrétien Canadian Federal Government Has Got Your Backs!” Due to this:
…But that’s a different story I guess. Anyway:

In R v. Gladue, and the less famous R v. Ipeelee, the Supreme Court later interpreted “should” to mean “MUST.” And in the years since, courts have extended the “Gladue principles” to the granting of bail.

I argued recently that the best comprehensive solution to Canada’s bail conundrum is to light a giant fire under this country’s glacial justice system. Locking people up before they’ve been found guilty should always give us pause, but if it’s a few weeks rather than months on end, it’s much less ethically fraught. Still, special treatment for some groups of accused offenders would be baked in, and that’s pretty darned fraught as well.

(In maintaining that people are naturally equal, liberals assume they all possess the same right to liberty. In other words, no one is inherently entitled to enjoy the benefits of liberal society more than anyone else, and all people are equal subjects before the law)

Setting aside basic notions of fairness, the most obvious problem concerns potential victims.

Under the Criminal Code, “protection or safety of the public, including any victim or witness” is a stated reason for denying bail. And while McKenzie’s victim was (just?) a white police officer, it was far more predictable, given his record, that he would have meted out violence on members of his own Indigenous community — he was a resident of the Mississaugas of the Credit First Nation, according to police — if not his own family…again.

Indeed, the “Gladue principles” are named after Cree-Métis woman Jamie Tanis Gladue, who stabbed her common-law husband to death in 1995 in Nanaimo, B.C.

You very rarely hear the victim’s name: Reuben Beaver, also Cree. Apparently Ruben was boinking his ol’Lady’s sister (also Cree), & she (Jamie) accused him, & and he didn’t deny it, and she (Gladeau) was drunk…. So inevitably, she stabbed in the chest with a large knife while he was running away from her. But again, that is a different story…anyway:

There was much outrage in 2015 when the RCMP clumsily released statistics suggesting 70 per cent of missing and murdered Indigenous women were victims of people in their own community, but it only stood to reason: We’re far more likely to wind up victims of violence thanks to people we know than thanks to strangers.

There are those who believe pretty much every Indigenous offender and every crime he or she commits is motivated to some extent by the multi-generational scars of “colonialism” — even when the victims are themselves Indigenous. There are those who believe that’s bunkum. There are many people, like me, in the middle.

To my mind it’s obvious there are Canadians of all races whose upbringings were essentially engraved invitations to future criminality. I think that absolutely speaks to their moral culpability, and that the justice system should take that into account.

But, in addition to ensuring the accused show up for their court dates and the protection of public safety, the Criminal Code provides another criterion for denying bail: “If the detention is necessary to maintain confidence in the administration of justice.”

(Justin Morphed the Libs to the Left to Out-NDP the NDP into Irrelevance, but now there’s Poilievre with the Conservatives pointing that out, so how can the Justinites show their ‘Law&Order’ flex while still appeasing Jagmeet?)

Judges have some downright psychedelic ideas as to what instills confidence in Canadians and what doesn’t.

Justice ministers (of the correct opinion & gender unlike Wilson-Raybould) however, tend to be more clear-eyed. In many ways they picked an obvious tragedy on which to build their case for reform — but they also risk opening a Costco-sized can of worms.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
OK, couple of things. . .

1. I realize this is a tough case, but do you really want to make it easier for the government to keep people locked up? You do realize that's an all-but-automatic track to the government keeping people the government don't like locked up, right?

2. That said, fuck the Gladass Principles. One law, one justice. How the hell can we cry inequality and injustice and uphold different standards for us? We're not politicians or bankers!

Once again, I got no say in how y'all run your country, but #1 is familiar to us (it's why we have the Eighth Amendment), and # 2 is because of fuck that.

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
To my mind it’s obvious there are Canadians of all races whose upbringings were essentially engraved invitations to future criminality. I think that absolutely speaks to their moral culpability, and that the justice system should take that into account.
I could not disagree with this more.

When i was young, my grandfather had a hunting dog which we all loved and which i'd helped train. It got into a fight with a skunk and got rabies. It's not the dog's fault that it's genetics lead it to be confrontational with a skunk. I"m sure the skunk didn't deliberately get rabies.

So the dogs' "upbringing and background" led it to do something wrong. Which was very sad - BUT WE STILL KILLED THE DOG. We didn't let it loose to run around the neighbourhood after we realized it was violent.

And there's no such thing as an 'engraved invitiation" to be a criminal. For every person that is a CHOICE that they make. This business of saying essentially that they have some sort of RIGHT to be a criminal is completely bullshit. If there is such a thing as an 'invitation' to crime, saying "Don't worry, we'll let you off the hook, it's not your fault" is definitely what that looks like.

It has to stop. No excuses, doesn't matter what your skin colour is, doesn't matter how bad Yuh Feels got hurt - you chose to do this thing and unless you can demonstrate why we should believe you'd be safe on the streets then into jail you go till your trial.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I could not disagree with this more.

When i was young, my grandfather had a hunting dog which we all loved and which i'd helped train. It got into a fight with a skunk and got rabies. It's not the dog's fault that it's genetics lead it to be confrontational with a skunk. I"m sure the skunk didn't deliberately get rabies.

So the dogs' "upbringing and background" led it to do something wrong. Which was very sad - BUT WE STILL KILLED THE DOG. We didn't let it loose to run around the neighbourhood after we realized it was violent.

And there's no such thing as an 'engraved invitiation" to be a criminal. For every person that is a CHOICE that they make. This business of saying essentially that they have some sort of RIGHT to be a criminal is completely bullshit. If there is such a thing as an 'invitation' to crime, saying "Don't worry, we'll let you off the hook, it's not your fault" is definitely what that looks like.

It has to stop. No excuses, doesn't matter what your skin colour is, doesn't matter how bad Yuh Feels got hurt - you chose to do this thing and unless you can demonstrate why we should believe you'd be safe on the streets then into jail you go till your trial.
Shit.

Oh, all right. . . :love:

Reactions: Ron in Regina

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
OK, couple of things. . .

1. I realize this is a tough case, but do you really want to make it easier for the government to keep people locked up?
Yes. Absolutely that's what we want. At least for violent crimes.
You do realize that's an all-but-automatic track to the government keeping people the government don't like locked up, right?
No, it isn't. And bullshit scare tactics don't bring the dead people back to life that these people are killing. Not the ones mentioned here, not the cop that was killed, not the cbc exec - they're all dead.

If the gov't locks the wrong people up we can always change the gov't and let them out - but dead is dead
Once again, I got no say in how y'all run your country, but #1 is familiar to us (it's why we have the Eighth Amendment), and # 2 is because of fuck that.

#1 is what leads to #2.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Yes. Absolutely that's what we want. At least for violent crimes.

No, it isn't. And bullshit scare tactics don't bring the dead people back to life that these people are killing. Not the ones mentioned here, not the cop that was killed, not the cbc exec - they're all dead.

If the gov't locks the wrong people up we can always change the gov't and let them out - but dead is dead

#1 is what leads to #2.
Not bad. I'm liking it a lot better with the "violent crimes" proviso.

But yeah, for "bullshit scare tactics," there's nothing like reading history. Or a newspaper.

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
Not bad. I'm liking it a lot better with the "violent crimes" proviso.
There has to be a sufficient threat to justify making someone responsible for proving why they should be allowed out. Violent criminals who represent a threat to the public would fall into that catagory, but not for something like tax evasion. (ok... capone, but nobody else).

But yeah, for "bullshit scare tactics," there's nothing like reading history. Or a newspaper.
Our newspapers are full of people being killed or badly injured by people who should never have been on the streets. And i mean as in nearly daily stories. In just the last few months we've lost a number of police, had several civilian fatalities OTHER than this story, and dozens of attacks that put people in hospital or seriously injured them. And most are being done by people who are out after committing other violent crimes. Turns out violent people are violent.

Locking violent people up until they can be tried is not going to lead to a totalitarian state. But not doing it HAS lead to a state of chaos and violence.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
There has to be a sufficient threat to justify making someone responsible for proving why they should be allowed out. Violent criminals who represent a threat to the public would fall into that catagory, but not for something like tax evasion. (ok... capone, but nobody else).

Our newspapers are full of people being killed or badly injured by people who should never have been on the streets. And i mean as in nearly daily stories. In just the last few months we've lost a number of police, had several civilian fatalities OTHER than this story, and dozens of attacks that put people in hospital or seriously injured them. And most are being done by people who are out after committing other violent crimes. Turns out violent people are violent.

Locking violent people up until they can be tried is not going to lead to a totalitarian state. But not doing it HAS lead to a state of chaos and violence.
I agree with the first paragraph and the last line.

For the middle, Yank, remember?

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
For the middle, Yank, remember?
Sure, that was meant to be educational not a chastisement. Mind you i've posted enough of them here you probably can get a bit of a taste of it.

Numerous cops, killed by stabbing and gunfire by people out on bail with long criminal histories. People just walking along the streets in the major metros, pushed to their deaths. People slashed and hacked at random. This family killed and a murder rampage and the guy was out on bail. Police forces are begging like crazy for something to be done.

Much of this is as a result of the new law brought in under trudeau that requires perferential treatment for release for marinalized groups such as first nations and blacks, and much of the killing has been FN people out on bail.

It's becoming epidemic.

Reactions: Taxslave2

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
The more I learn about Trudeau, the more often I have to repeat to myself "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

It's Hanlon's Law.

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
The more I learn about Trudeau, the more often I have to repeat to myself "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

It's Hanlon's Law.
Well in fairness he had a little help with this one. The courts have been supporting that position for some time and in some ways tipped his hand. But he leaned into it instead of doing the right thing. And now we've got streets flooded with repeat offenders - some of whom are not only repeats but repeats on the SAME DAY, getting arrested and released and offending again that same day.

It's genuinely bad. And that's when it's not a small horde of pre adult teens swarming and killing guys.