Saskatchewan RCMP say 10 dead, 15 hospitalized after stabbings, suspects still at large

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
Here is the problem that is being created, I think. At least in my part of the country. If law abiding taxpayers are being robbed and killed and don’t see the justice system as working in their favour, they will start taking the law into their own hands. It will be shoot first and ask questions later because you know the police are incapable of responding in a timely manner, and even if they did, it is a good bet that the perp will be out on bail in less than 24 hours.

Reactions: The_Foxer

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Well in fairness he had a little help with this one. The courts have been supporting that position for some time and in some ways tipped his hand. But he leaned into it instead of doing the right thing. And now we've got streets flooded with repeat offenders - some of whom are not only repeats but repeats on the SAME DAY, getting arrested and released and offending again that same day.

It's genuinely bad. And that's when it's not a small horde of pre adult teens swarming and killing guys.
True, but every PM has her share of asswits, just like every herd has troublemakers. It's the herd leader's job to keep 'em someplace close to the straight and narrow.

I'm sorry it's happening. Believe me, Yanks idolize Canada for its peace and prosperity. I don't know what the answer/s is/are, and simple "Lock 'em up" ain't it, but keeping 'em on ice until their trials seems pretty basic.

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
Here is the problem that is being created, I think. At least in my part of the country. If law abiding taxpayers are being robbed and killed and don’t see the justice system as working in their favour, they will start taking the law into their own hands. It will be shoot first and ask questions later because you know the police are incapable of responding in a timely manner, and even if they did, it is a good bet that the perp will be out on bail in less than 24 hours.
Yes, sooner or later people get sick of it and decide they'll deal with it themselves.

I saw a story the other day (can't remember if it was here) where a car was stolen, and the owners managed to track it down and recover it and take down the bad guys before the cops responded to the call (which took something like 7 hours).

The cops said something to the effect of 'it worked out well this time but we wouldn't want to see people doing this regularly, that's what we're here for".

Except you weren't'. Which is why they did it. And we'll see more and more of that kind of stuff.

People think that law and order comes from the piece of paper the law is written on. But it doesn't. It comes from peoples belief in that law. If that evaporates, so does the law.

Reactions: Taxslave2

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Yes, sooner or later people get sick of it and decide they'll deal with it themselves.

I saw a story the other day (can't remember if it was here) where a car was stolen, and the owners managed to track it down and recover it and take down the bad guys before the cops responded to the call (which took something like 7 hours).

The cops said something to the effect of 'it worked out well this time but we wouldn't want to see people doing this regularly, that's what we're here for".

Except you weren't'. Which is why they did it. And we'll see more and more of that kind of stuff.

People think that law and order comes from the piece of paper the law is written on. But it doesn't. It comes from peoples belief in that law. If that evaporates, so does the law.
You’re going to see more of this between Apple AirTags & other twins of this technology, the “Find My Phone” Apps, etc…

Weirdly, Stolen Phones/Cars/etc…are personal property & not ‘Cowboy Enough’ for some police to be interested in. “Here’s a File# for your insurance company if it’s insured, etc…” sorta thing.

(I’ve done dumber for less over principle)

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
You’re going to see more of this between Apple AirTags & other twins of this technology, the “Find My Phone” Apps, etc…

Weirdly, Stolen Phones/Cars/etc…are personal property & not ‘Cowboy Enough’ for some police to be interested in. “Here’s a File# for your insurance company if it’s insured, etc…” sorta thing.

Well to be fair to the cops, they show up right away, bust their asses to catch the guys, potentially risk their lives... and the courts let them out to steal another car that afternoon. Must be hard to get terribly motivated.

• Sad
Reactions: Taxslave2

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.

Yes a big problem , and worse they stall and interfer with any investigation the insurance company attempts .

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Inquest hears Saskatchewan mass killer died in custody from cocaine overdose
Author of the article:Canadian Press
Canadian Press
Kelly Geraldine Malone
Published Feb 27, 2024 • Last updated 2 days ago • 3 minute read

SASKATOON — Before a mass killer died of a cocaine overdose in police custody, he asked officers arresting him how many people he had killed in the stabbing rampage in Saskatchewan, an inquest heard Tuesday.

“How many bodies did I get?” Myles Sanderson says in video captured on RCMP dashboard cameras.

Three days before he was captured, Sanderson went from home to home on the James Smith Cree Nation and in the nearby village of Weldon, kicking in doors and attacking people. Eleven people were killed and 17 others were injured.

On Tuesday, jurors saw video of Sanderson’s arrest during the coroner’s inquest into the killer’s death.

Sgt. Ken Kane, a detective with Saskatoon police and one of the officers tasked with investigating Sanderson’s death, described the video to jurors.

Kane said 32-year-old Sanderson expresses shock that “nobody even shot at me, man.”

“You should have shot me,” Sanderson says repeatedly to officers in the video.

The video shows Sanderson’s knees buckle and him beginning to convulse.

The killer was given naloxone, a drug used to reverse opioid overdoses. An officer also found a rolled-up $20 bill and a bag of a white substance in Sanderson’s hand, the inquest heard.

Officers performed chest compressions on Sanderson until paramedics arrived and took him to hospital in an ambulance.

Dr. Shaun Ladham, a forensic pathologist, told the inquest that Sanderson died from toxicity due to cocaine.

“There was so much cocaine there,” Ladham said of the amount found in Sanderson’s body.

A toxicologist testified that blood samples taken from Sanderson had one of the highest cocaine levels she’d ever seen.

“A very, very high level,” said Jennifer Billinsky, who tested the samples from Sanderson.

There were no traces of alcohol, fentanyl or methamphetamine.

Darryl Burns, whose sister was killed on the First Nation, said he felt a surge of emotions watching the video of Sanderson’s arrest.

“I couldn’t understand what I was going through. I didn’t know if it was anger or relief or what it was,” Burns said during a break in the inquest.

“It’s not that he was dead, but that the danger was gone,” Burns said.

Sanderson had been on the run for several days when police caught up to him on Sept. 7, 2022.

The inquest previously heard a call to police from a woman who said Sanderson had broken into her home and stolen her truck, setting off a rapid search throughout the area near Wakaw, Sask.

Const. Brianne Hathaway, who was in an unmarked vehicle, told the inquest she spotted the truck and began to follow as it went toward Highway 11, the main road heading to Saskatoon from points north.

Dashboard video shows the truck driving into a gas station parking lot, onto a gravel road, then onto the highway in the wrong direction.

Police speed after the truck as Sanderson steers into oncoming traffic. He drives across the grass and into the southbound lanes.

Const. Heidi Marshall testified it gave her the opportunity to do a difficult and risky vehicle manoeuvre to stop the killer. For a moment, she thought about her two young children at home and what a mistake could mean for them, she said.

“That quickly fleeted out of my mind,” she told the inquest.

The video shows Marshall driving her vehicle into the truck, forcing it to spin. The truck goes into a ditch.

“I got him. I got him,” Marshall says in the video.

As officers pulled Sanderson out of the truck and arrested him, Hathaway said he recognized her. He asked if she had been in the truck following him.

The inquest, scheduled for a week in Saskatoon, is required under legislation because Sanderson died in police custody.

It is to establish when and where Sanderson died and the cause of his death. The six-person jury may also provide recommendations.

A separate inquest into the massacre was held last month, examining each of the killings and issuing more than two dozen recommendations.

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
I recommend shit loads of free heroin( laced with fentanyl , for more bang, naturally) for everyone in jails.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Just trying to put some context into more bans…which I’m assuming our current Liberal/NDP gov’t would gladly do if given a chance…to further control more of our lives.

As an aside, I’ve carried a knife for almost 50 years… and have yet to intentionally use it as a weapon. My current one that I’ve carried for more than a decade I chose because it could also be used as a prybar in a pinch, & also hardy enough to be beaten through corded rubber belts with a hammer.
1709488492055.jpeg

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I know, right? When I think of the 22 people rolling-pinned to death in Uvalde, makes me wonder "Why don't we just sell semi-auto rifles with 30-round clips at the grocery store?"
Where can I buy a 30 round rolling pin? Walgreens where they sell 30 mg rounds of SSRIs which 90% of school shooters were on?