Roe v. Wade overturned?

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
All in all, that summation makes more sense really.

One can only hope this will be a push for such cases and maybe eventually legislation but who knows.
I know. It sucks that this couldn't be done while Roe was still in effect. But that's one of the consequences of the fact that the courts are, and should be, slow to act, and act as narrowly as possible to resolve the specific question before them. The Supreme Court's decisions are inarguable, and can rarely be changed (only when they interpret a Federal law, in which case Congress can amend the law). The only greater threat to what democracy and freedom we have than false and illegal attempts to overthrow free and fair elections is the rule by diktat, be the dictator a President or a Supreme Court.

For example, Korematsu v US, upholding the right of the government to intern people, including U.S. citizens, for no reason other than their national/ethnic ties to a hostile country, is still good law in the U.S. I think we've realized that it's a bad idea, as demonstrated by the Congressional apology and reparation payments, but the bleak fact is. . . we could do it again, legal as church on Sunday.

The problem with outcome-determinative thinking (i.e., "I don't care how it happens, as long as it happens") is that without a sound basis for an action, it can be undone as soon as the political winds shift.

Last edited:

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
By the way. . .

A good show-stopper for a rightard who bawls "There's no right to abortion in the Constitution!" is "There's no right to self-defense in the Constitution either."

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
The problem with all this though, Ron, is that not getting the vaccine effects everyone around you and potentially could effect the world, should you be patient zero for the new variant.

Though at this point in the end none of it matters; too many didn't care early enough. But point is, it was meant to help protect not just one person, but others.

Abortion is NOT anywhere near this.

You cannot really compare the two, despite it being a 'my body, my choice' issue.

At least, that's my opinion on it. Equating the two is as apples and oranges as you can get while saying both are fruit.
I get what you’re saying, & I am going to wander away from the abortion side and step into the vaccination side initially.

Yes the vaccination during a pandemic potentially affects everybody, and at least from the early days of the information available, it read like, by being vaccinated you are not only protecting yourself but protecting all those around you in that you would not be a petri dish for variants. I totally get that, & thus part of the reason once we were able to actually get a vaccination we were some of the first in line for our age group for our first shot, and our next shot, and our first booster shot, and our next booster shot.

Utilizing the information available early on from many different sources (and I admit that I used the schedule of availability and public encouragement from Israel as my guidance also as they seem to be about six months ahead of Canada on the decision making process, and about year ahead of Canada with respect to vaccine availability) I assumed (yeah, ass/u/me) without mandating that at least 80% of the population and probably higher would’ve stepped up to the plate and gotten vaccinated without government prodding. I still think, that if people just read everything they could from as many different sources as they could (& there will always be the tinfoil hat crowd) that our vaccination rate would actually be higher than it is today without the government being heavy-handed and mandating What people had to do…. Just through educated altruism.

Yes I know this is most likely a very simplistic view & I might not be giving dumb people enough credit by assuming that they would educate themselves, and I’ve been wrong before and probably have even in this thread, but that’s my opinion on mandated vaccination. The government should’ve provided the vaccinations and access to them and information about them, and then stepped back and let people make their own decisions….& Most people I’m assuming would’ve gotten vaccinated to protect not only themselves but others around them.

Very few people like to be told what they have to do and deadlined on the timeframe, and even less like to be given ultimatums I’m assuming, but people are tribal and will look after their tribe (themselves, their families, their friends & neighbours) first and then think of society as a whole….& even factoring that in I assume the vaccination rate without mandating would’ve been at least 80% if not more. Unfortunately most governments went with option two in order to force people to do what they would probably have done anyway….So we will never know if I’m right or wrong on this one.

Healthcare should be a right, whether it’s vaccinations or abortion, and government should stay the hell out of it beyond providing access and letting people make their own decisions. After a couple of generations of access to abortion in both Canada and the US I thought this was a dead issue beyond political brownie points, but again here we are…

I’m looking at this topic though they’re on opposite ends of the spectrum from the perspective of government interference in peoples choices. With the vaccinations it was The ultimatum of “You HAVE to, or else” in Canada at least, and if this Supreme Court draft is as fundamental as it is being portrayed in the US, it can potentially bring forth the ultimatum of “You CAN’T, or else”….& it is the “OR ELSE” that I have an issue with with respect to healthcare. I can also tie together euthanasia to vaccinations to abortion on the same mental plane but I’ve rambled enough for one post. 😁

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Healthcare should be a right, whether it’s vaccinations or abortion, and government should stay the hell out of it beyond providing access and letting people make their own decisions. After a couple of generations of access to abortion in both Canada and the US I thought this was a dead issue beyond political brownie points, but again here we are…
Big big big problem. You have to have professionals willing to do the procedure and it's against the Charter to force someone to do it.

That is why it can't and won't ever be a Right.

Reactions: Twin_Moose

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Big big big problem. You have to have professionals willing to do the procedure and it's against the Charter to force someone to do it.

That is why it can't and won't ever be a Right.
Marriage commissioners and gay marriage.

If a same sex couple wants to legitimize their union in the eyes of their God or revenue Canada that’s their right. If a marriage commissioner due to his or her religious beliefs does not want to perform the ceremony…that should be that person‘s right. Neither should be punished legally or mandated for their own beliefs.

A gay couple calls a marriage commissioner looking to utilize their services. A marriage commissioner says that due to his or her own personal or religious beliefs she or he cannot performed the ceremony…but here’s the names of four other marriage commissioners who can. That should be the end of the story and everybody goes about their business amicably and happily, with no human rights tribunal and government heavy handedness involved but just respect for each other as human beings with differences of opinion.

Why can’t something like the above scenario not also be applied to abortion? If Trudeau can state that something like 30% of all cars sold by a certain date have to be electric cars….as his position on the throne seems to entitle him to arbitrarily do…then something like that willingly (instead of heavy handed Governance) through funding can also transfer across to both marriage commissioners and abortion could it not?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
A private industry that ends life won't get public bucks. The current system isn't exactly busting at the seams with the willingly. How do you change that?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
One-third of hospitals perform surgical abortions, and these perform two-thirds of surgical abortions in the country. The remaining surgical abortions are performed by public and private clinics.

I honestly didn’t know the answer to this one so I just googled it so I wasn’t just assuming.
For profit "Pay clinics".

Reactions: Twin_Moose