RIP Gord Downie

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
I hadn't heard as I went back to bed. I'd been thinking that since we hadn't heard anything that possibly they were doing something to prolong his situation.

That will be double crappy news around here today. Could explain why the phones been ringing.....

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
So will the band be sued by the map makers, treaty holders, Cities and states whose border it is?

In the United States the meridian 100° west of Greenwich forms the eastern border of the Texas panhandle with Oklahoma (which traces its origin to the Adams-Onís Treaty in 1819 which settled the border between New Spain and the United States between the Red River and Arkansas River). Dodge City, Kansas lies exactly at the intersection of the Arkansas River and the 100th meridian.

In popular culture[edit]​

The song "At the Hundredth Meridian" by The Tragically Hip is about the 100th meridian west, specifically in Canada, and how it has traditionally been considered "where the great plains begin."[citation needed]

I guess the old band members are running low on coke money.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Never was a fan of the band but am sorry for all his fans. That said, Downie was the perpetrator of the one of the biggest lies concerning residential schools. The falsehoods and outright lies contained in the Secret Path and now being taught to Canadian school children are numerous and should have been called out immediately. Thing is Downie knew the real story and instead of telling like it was chose to ignore the facts in favor of inventing his own version of the life and death of Chanie Wenjack.

Reactions: petros

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I've met the guy at an after show party at Channel One. I've never seen one person do so much coke in such a short time...after drinking a 40.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
I've met the guy at an after show party at Channel One. I've never seen one person do so much coke in such a short time...after drinking a 40.
In my eyes he is little more than a piece of shit who took full advantage of the current leftist, sjw agenda and ran with it, pete. Thing is the harm is done and poor little Chanie's real story has been altered beyond recognition. The real story is still out there and I happen to have the goods.

"The former Indian residential school Chanie and the other children were boarding at was operated by the Presbyterian Church and they had been integrated into public schools in Kenora. But Secret Path shows them praying at classroom desks with a stern Catholic nun looking on.

Jeff Lemire’s drawings show nuns in habits delousing naked Ojibway boys while they cover their genitals with their hands. A male with a large white cross on his chest drags a screaming child into a building. A nun in a habit pulls a half-naked boy’s ear and makes him cry in pain.

In the widely-publicized Historica Canada video about Chanie’s story written by Joseph Boyden, children in pyjamas are seen praying on their knees at the foot of the mattresses on their beds as a Catholic priest barks out the Lord’s Prayer. When the priest notices that Chanie isn’t praying with the others, he grabs him and throws him on a bed. As Chanie cowers in fear, his older sister says in a voiceover, “Kill the Indian in the child. It’s been called cultural genocide.”

As Chanie’s dead body is shown lying beside the railway tracks, his sister says: “I survived the residential schools. My brother Chanie didn’t.” Boyden then intones: “Chanie Wenjack was one of thousands of children who died in Canada’s Indian residential school system.”

Chanie Wenjack was not attending an Indian residential school at the time of his death and Cecilia Jeffrey was not operated by the Catholic Church. There is no evidence that he or any child who lived there suffered physical or sexual abuse at the hands of anyone. The story being taught to Canadian children is littered with factual distortions and untruths. If Downie, Lemire, Boyden and the Kielburgers truly want to advance the goal of reconciliation, they should start by telling the truth about what happened to Chanie Wenjack.

• Wow

bob the dog

Council Member
Aug 14, 2020
Eddie Van Halen was as good as they got. Wouldn't have been able to do one without the other.

bob the dog

Council Member
Aug 14, 2020
In my eyes he is little more than a piece of shit who took full advantage of the current leftist, sjw agenda and ran with it, pete. Thing is the harm is done and poor little Chanie's real story has been altered beyond recognition. The real story is still out there and I happen to have the goods.

"The former Indian residential school Chanie and the other children were boarding at was operated by the Presbyterian Church and they had been integrated into public schools in Kenora. But Secret Path shows them praying at classroom desks with a stern Catholic nun looking on.

Jeff Lemire’s drawings show nuns in habits delousing naked Ojibway boys while they cover their genitals with their hands. A male with a large white cross on his chest drags a screaming child into a building. A nun in a habit pulls a half-naked boy’s ear and makes him cry in pain.

In the widely-publicized Historica Canada video about Chanie’s story written by Joseph Boyden, children in pyjamas are seen praying on their knees at the foot of the mattresses on their beds as a Catholic priest barks out the Lord’s Prayer. When the priest notices that Chanie isn’t praying with the others, he grabs him and throws him on a bed. As Chanie cowers in fear, his older sister says in a voiceover, “Kill the Indian in the child. It’s been called cultural genocide.”

As Chanie’s dead body is shown lying beside the railway tracks, his sister says: “I survived the residential schools. My brother Chanie didn’t.” Boyden then intones: “Chanie Wenjack was one of thousands of children who died in Canada’s Indian residential school system.”

Chanie Wenjack was not attending an Indian residential school at the time of his death and Cecilia Jeffrey was not operated by the Catholic Church. There is no evidence that he or any child who lived there suffered physical or sexual abuse at the hands of anyone. The story being taught to Canadian children is littered with factual distortions and untruths. If Downie, Lemire, Boyden and the Kielburgers truly want to advance the goal of reconciliation, they should start by telling the truth about what happened to Chanie Wenjack.

Dam October weather. He should have been good and a warmer jacket would have helped. Where were the trains? Did they pass by and not stop?

Have not seen or heard the Secret Path. What you say about the details are no doubt true. What they were able to do is to raise an awareness of the event. Who knows where the decisions to sensationalize the details were made. The whole residential school theme is a popular topic to milk if it comes right down to it. Were CBC dollars involved?

Hindsight is 20/20. Healing is about the future and not the past imo. Paying for it now doesn't make it right.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

Even the Natives themselves were confusing what happened in Pennsylvania with residential schools. They called the payouts "arse money" even though they were being paid for being white washed.

Thank goodness the media and Gordie cleared that up in the end

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Dam October weather. He should have been good and a warmer jacket would have helped. Where were the trains? Did they pass by and not stop?

Have not seen or heard the Secret Path. What you say about the details are no doubt true. What they were able to do is to raise an awareness of the event. Who knows where the decisions to sensationalize the details were made. The whole residential school theme is a popular topic to milk if it comes right down to it. Were CBC dollars involved?

Hindsight is 20/20. Healing is about the future and not the past imo. Paying for it now doesn't make it right.
"According to the 1967 Maclean’s story by Ian Adams, which Gord Downie and Joseph Boyden say they have read, young Chanie had made no attempt to run away during the previous three years he stayed at Cecilia Jeffrey. When he did leave on the afternoon of Sunday, October 16th it was in the company of two orphaned brothers. One of the brothers had run away three times in the preceding few weeks and the other was a chronic truant. In Adams’ account, the decision to bolt was unplanned and spontaneous: “Right there on the playground the three boys decided to run away.”

"In a recent op-ed carried in newspapers across Canada, WE Charity co-founders Craig and Marc Kielburger wrote that Chanie “died fleeing his residential school”. The Kielburgers encouraged readers to donate money to the Gord Downie & Chanie Wenjack Fund, which will be used to create “Legacy Rooms” in restaurants, schools, libraries and corporate boardrooms. The Rooms are intended to “expand awareness” about the legacy of residential schools, and foster “reconciliation” between natives and non-natives.

The Fund, which has set a goal of $100 million, operates through the Toronto Foundation. It is provided with “administrative resources and expertise” through a “shared platform” operated by Tides Canada, the U.S.-funded environmental group that works with aboriginal activists and others to advocate and litigate against energy pipelines and resource development.

“For a $5,000 donation,” the Kielburgers wrote, “the Downie-Wenjack Fund will provide an official plaque and signage explaining Chanie’s story to set the tone for the Legacy Room. The money raised supports initiatives to teach about residential schools in Canadian classrooms.”

The $5,000 plaques adorn Legacy Rooms that are now sprouting up across Canada. Downie and his trademark feathered hat get top billing above Chanie’s name, with the text centred between a photo of Downie in a shimmering jacket performing at one of his concerts and reputedly the only surviving picture of a shy, smiling Chanie."

Reactions: bob the dog

bob the dog

Council Member
Aug 14, 2020
Sickens me to learn the Kielburgers put their slimy paws anywhere near it. Save a tree and buy the same plague twice.

Thank you for correcting the story.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Sickens me to learn the Kielburgers put their slimy paws anywhere near it. Save a tree and buy the same plague twice.

Thank you for correcting the story.
You are most welcome, Bob. I've been on top of this since downie got involved and have reams of material on the true story of this poor little boy. With all the stories of residential school survivors who actually did attend Catholic institutions and did suffer abuse at the hands of the staff, one has to wonder why downie and ilk chose Chanie's story only to turn the truth into a lie that is still being perpetrated by the ignorant.