Rick Snyder apologizes for the Flint drinking water crisis

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Hehehehe

As somebody with 32 years experience in water treatment including everything from type-I water systems to bottled water plants to municipal systems to wastewater systems I love to take the time to educate you but clearly that's not an option. You can't teach those unwilling to learn.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
Hehehehe

As somebody with 32 years experience in water treatment including everything from type-I water systems to bottled water plants to municipal systems to wastewater systems I love to take the time to educate you but clearly that's not an option. You can't teach those unwilling to learn.
Yes you and Bill have done it all. You can taste the nastiness when you drink tap water. Hell man it smells like bleach.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Yes you and Bill have done it all. You can taste the nastiness when you drink tap water. Hell man it smells like bleach.

Run it through a carbon filter if you don't like the taste... or put it in a pitcher in the fridge for a day.... or keep wasting money on bottled water.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
Run it through a carbon filter if you don't like the taste... or put it in a pitcher in the fridge for a day.... or keep wasting money on bottled water.
Have you never got a water bill? Bottled water is not expensive. You can get a case of 24 bottles for 2 and a half bucks at most grocery stores. I won't drink bleach water. Why go through the time and trouble to conceal the nasty smell and taste when bottled water is so cheap. Use your head dummy.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
Crotchety old farts are always trying to stifle other people's opinions.
you have every right to an intelligent opinion cannuck
trouble is: you just don't have the means to make your own
lol
but while you are here, you can read all the intelligent opinions you want

carbon is for kids
you need at least reverse osmosis or modern ceramic or you might as well just get your lead poisoning from a pipe measured in calibre

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
you have every right to an intelligent opinion cannuck
trouble is: you just don't have the means to make your own
lol
but while you are here, you can read all the intelligent opinions you want

carbon is for kids
you need at least reverse osmosis or modern ceramic or you might as well just get your lead poisoning from a pipe measured in calibre

Thanks for the input sparky but we we talking about chlorine not lead. Most people can understand the two aren't the same mostly because they are spelled differently.

At least you're trying to keep up with the conversation. I suspect that is the best anyone can hope for.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Hehehehe

Walkerton? Prime example of the results of trusting government employees with your health.

Another poison.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Walkerton? Prime example of the results of trusting government employees with your health.

How many people in North America drink from municipal water sources?

You're like one of those nattering ninnies that think you can't let your children out of your sight because of the ridiculously small chance that they be abducted.

I could talk about the 4000 people made ill in Spain from bottled water and suggest that bottled water is dangerous. That would be as silly as suggesting municipal water is unsafe because of statistical anomalies...or amusement park rides or flying in a plane.

I feel sorry for people like you that are afraid of everything because you have no concept of risk.

Another poison.

So is water. Just about anything is a poison in proper quantities. Your lack of scientific understanding is funny.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
Thanks for the input sparky but we we talking about chlorine not lead. Most people can understand the two aren't the same mostly because they are spelled differently.

At least you're trying to keep up with the conversation. I suspect that is the best anyone can hope for.

no, you are talking clorine
possibly its the lead in your drinkin water

...we are talking adult

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
So for the rest of you that understand basic science, here's a little crash course in some basic water chemistry.

langelier saturation index

L.S.I is a common calculation that is done to determine whether water will tend to be corrosive or tend to cause scaling. I'm not familiar with the water chemistry in Flint but here in Southeastern Alberta, water generally has a high pH. Coagulant efficacy is reduced as pH increases so, with most surface water systems, the pH is dropped to improve coagulation and to reduce the costs of coagulants. Once treatment is complete, the pH is elevated with L.S.I. in mind. Knowing what the water temperature is, the conductivity, the calcium hardness and the alkalinity, operators adjust the pH to balance the water as close to zero as possible.

One of two things occurred in Flint.

1) - The operators were incompetent and did not do LSI calculations or failed to make adjustments

2) - The system did not have the capability to manipulate pH...which I would find incredible.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
A federal appeals court on Friday refused to stay a judge's order that requires the State of Michigan to make regular deliveries of bottled water to Flint households that don't have a working water filter on their kitchen taps.

Friday's 2-1 ruling by the U.S. 6th Circuit Court of Appeals marks the third time a federal court has told the state to begin the water deliveries, which the state argues is unnecessary and too costly.

U.S. District Judge David Lawson has twice ordered the state to start the bottled water deliveries to all households that the state can't demonstrate has a properly installed and maintained water filter to remove lead contamination.

The state continues to fight Lawson's order and filed a new motion this week saying the water deliveries aren't needed because the unfiltered tap water in Flint now meets federal standards under the Safe Drinking Water Act. The City of Flint says in court filings it supports the state's request to stay Lawson's order.

The majority on the 6th Circuit said the state's "disingenuous claim that the daily delivery of bottled water would be at an expense of $10.5 million a month, is not supported by the record."

"Flint residents continue to suffer irreparable harm from the lack of reliable access to safe drinking water," said Senior Judge Damon Keith and Judge Bernice Donald.

"Many residents who rely on filters that are improperly installed continue to be at risk of exposure to lead. Compliance with the order only requires that the state defendants deliver bottled water to homes until they ensure that a home has a properly installed and maintained water filter, or if the residents opt out of the delivery service."

“The courts have spoken and the State of Michigan’s foot-dragging must end now,” said Dimple Chaudhary, senior attorney with the Natural Resources Defense Council.

Defendants in the case are Michigan Treasurer Nick Khouri and members of the state-appointed Flint Receivership Transition Advisory Board, which is overseeing Flint's return from state-ordered receivership to self-government.

Anna Heaton, a spokeswoman for Gov. Rick Snyder, said the state has been delivering bottled water to Flint residents who call 2-1-1 to request it, and will continue to do so.

Court refuses to lift order for state to deliver water in Flint