Reparations for Black Canadians

55Mercury

rigid member
May 31, 2007
Well, this is very pigmentation specific, so apologies to Slavics, Irish, Dene, etc…
View attachment 22910
Your day may come for specific government handouts of this nature, but that day isn’t today.

Well, theyre gonna have to use another word than slave. That is specific to Slavs.

I sure as shit didnt give permission a d they still havent bucked up for intergenerational trauma cause by the internment camps and enslavement 100 years ago.

A statue in the middle of nowhere just isnt enough.

How much are Banff and Jasper worth?

Let's not forget the reparations owed to Eastern Europeans by Mongolia.

Reactions: Ron in Regina

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Well, with everyone & their dog involved in the slave (sorry, involuntary employment program) trade, we could get everyone together in the same room, pick one person randomly, have him pull out a dollar figure that everyone agrees with, and pass it to the left…any everyone to the left of him/her/them/zir keeps passing it around the circle until it ends up back in the hands of the first person again.

Receipt's get issued. Everyone goes home. Done deal.

55Mercury

rigid member
May 31, 2007
Ah yes. The old "Not all criminals are caught and punished, so I shouldn't be punished for my crimes" argument.
That's a bit of a stretch even for you. No one alive today was responsible for anything that went on in the past not even today's governments so where do you draw the line, oh bony one?

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
That's a bit of a stretch even for you. No one alive today was responsible for anything that went on in the past not even today's governments so where do you draw the line, oh bony one?
That's what a trial would determine, were one held. A class action against Canada (or the U.S., or one of its constituent states). It would be a novel legal theory, that the country in its corporate person is responsible for the ongoing effects of past legal, mandatory discrimination, such as slavery, Jim Crow segregation in the U.S., and the criminalization of homosexual sex. Possibly for "failure to protect" or "encouraging discrimination."

You want my personal opinion? I'd say "If you, personally, can assert and prove that you have been discriminated against for whatever you are, then you, personally, are entitled to damages (I'd also make discrimination in housing, employment, education, and public accommodations a criminal offence). But whatever happened to your great-great-grandaddy, his claim died when he did." But I can argue it either way, cuz I'm a pizza guy.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Well, theyre gonna have to use another word than slave. That is specific to Slavs.

I sure as shit didnt give permission a d they still havent bucked up for intergenerational trauma cause by the internment camps and enslavement 100 years ago.

A statue in the middle of nowhere just isnt enough.

How much are Banff and Jasper worth?

Room and board . Those guys had it made . Three squares a day and away from their wife’s .