Reparations for Black Canadians

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Between c. 1629 and 1834, there were more than 4,000 enslaved people of African descent in the British and French colonies that became Quebec, Ontario, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, and New Brunswick.

Are there living descendants of these 4,000 people over the coarse of just over 200 years? I’d assume so. Should Britain and France make reparations to some of these surviving descendants of slaves from British and French colonies?

What the Hell? Why not? It’s their guilt & their prerogative should they choose to do so. Should Quebec and Ontario and Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island make reparations for or on behalf of England and France? That would be their call at a provincial level.

Should Trudeau federally…for Canada, make reparations to descendants of former slaves of African descent (because I’m assuming this is what this is about, and not indentured servitude, etc….) on behalf of Ontario and Quebec and Prince Edward Island and Nova Scotia…who would be making reparations on behalf of England and France?

I think that should come somewhere down the line from the Barbary pirates and their base nations making reparations to what are now the current European nations. Then the current African nations that captured and sold their own (well, other tribes, but…) what are now countrymen should be making reparations to all the Caribbean and American descendants of former slaves…& Canada can decide for itself after the above happens as to how to govern itself accordingly.
In the song below, why to the shores of Tripoli?
Then, as far as reparations go for the below, these are nations within nations, etc…

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Between c. 1629 and 1834, there were more than 4,000 enslaved people of African descent in the British and French colonies that became Quebec, Ontario, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, and New Brunswick.

Are there living descendants of these 4,000 people over the coarse of just over 200 years? I’d assume so. Should Britain and France make reparations to some of these surviving descendants of slaves from British and French colonies?

What the Hell? Why not? It’s their guilt & their prerogative should they choose to do so. Should Quebec and Ontario and Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island make reparations for or on behalf of England and France? That would be their call at a provincial level.

Should Trudeau federally…for Canada, make reparations to descendants of former slaves of African descent (because I’m assuming this is what this is about, and not indentured servitude, etc….) on behalf of Ontario and Quebec and Prince Edward Island and Nova Scotia…who would be making reparations on behalf of England and France?

I think that should come somewhere down the line from the Barbary pirates and their base nations making reparations to what are now the current European nations. Then the current African nations that captured and sold their own (well, other tribes, but…) what are now countrymen should be making reparations to all the Caribbean and American descendants of former slaves…& Canada can decide for itself after the above happens as to how to govern itself accordingly.
In the song below, why to the shores of Tripoli?
Then, as far as reparations go for the below, these are nations within nations, etc…
Do the Dene get paid from the Cree?

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Somebody give that jackass a history lesson. Last time I checked Canada wasn't an actual country until 1867 sooo not sure how any of this would be federal govt responsibility or even territory.

Reactions: 55Mercury

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I said my piece above yesterday without actually watching the video…well, I watched about two minutes of it, & this morning. I watched the rest.

I’ve looked for this liberal report in other news stories and none of them I’ve found so far mentioned anything to do with reparations, etc…& talk about representation in the prison system, etc…
Though in the video in the OP, dude is siting specific areas in that report, nobody else has mentioning them… which is interesting all by itself.
…& the liberal governments own blurb about this doesn’t mention reparations either?
Only this Rebel News is running with this.
…& it reads like a mini-transcript of the video in the OP here…so, found the report to see what it actually says here below:
It’s 62 pages long…
1720103306111.jpeg
…& with a quick skim, as I’m waiting for some medication to kick in before I go & load another truckload of crap from my garage to go to the dump…I finally find this mentioned in the OP Video on page 38.
1720103526505.jpeg
And that’s about it. The rest rest reads like a DEI advocacy document for special treatment for those with specific skin pigmentations, and a push for training for those without those pigmentations to be aware of & acknowledge the above, etc…

So, I guess, kudos on this one news outlet for actually reading the document in its entirety, to find that one sentence on page 38 that I’ve copy and pasted above. That’s it at this point. The rest just seems like a Gladue boondoggle to make everybody equal except some being more equal than others.

My outrage this morning will be that the minimum dump fee for a pickup load of crap seems to have jumped about 67% since last year. Oh well, death by a thousand financial cuts, etc…

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Maybe y'all should do it as a civil class-action suit. Canadians disadvantaged because of their colour, sex, Native status, sexuality, or gender, could sue Canada, which is a corporate person, prove their damages, and get paid. Canada would have available to it all the defences that a party to any other civil suit has.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Maybe y'all should do it as a civil class-action suit. Canadians disadvantaged because of their colour, sex, Native status, sexuality, or gender, could sue Canada, which is a corporate person, prove their damages, and get paid. Canada would have available to it all the defences that a party to any other civil suit has.
The line forms to the left. Figuratively and literally.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
The line forms to the left. Figuratively and literally.
There is a precedent in the U.S. for reparations. The Japanese-Americans who were interned in WWII got 20,000 bucks a head under the Civil Rights Act of 1988.

Of course, that one was easy. It was restricted to those individuals who personally suffered "deprivation of life, liberty, or property." But it might be a starting-point to figure out reparations. Something a little saner and smarter than screaming at each other.

Reactions: Ron in Regina

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I skim a lot of news articles because I find that opposed to the majority of the population, it seems to lower my blood pressure. I tend to try and find humour in places where it’s not…or not intentionally there.

I remember skimming one about California and reparations to the black community somewhere in the last couple months. California being a state that never had (officially sanctioned) slavery, etc…on top of nobody who has actually been a slave in the United States being alive at this point. Are you familiar with this one and did you also find humour in it or not if so?

I’m thinking of this one because, with California not being a slave state, still there were about 4000 (if I remember correctly) slaves taken to California to work in the Gold mines. The mental parallel for me was the number 4000 as it’s about the same as that for Canada (but Canada, before Canada was Canada) over the coarse of about 200 years.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
As I understand it, reparations are for more than slavery, and include slavery, racial segregation, unequal treatment before the law, other types of discrimination, and "racism" generally.

Hard to quantify, but quantifying such things is what civil suits are for, assuming the plaintiff wins.

Reactions: Ron in Regina

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I have experience with these kinds of questions because of my professional career dealing with issues like "Can you put mushrooms on meatlovers?" and "When exactly does the clock start on 'delivery in 20 minutes or it's free?'"

• Haha
Reactions: 55Mercury

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
As I understand it, reparations are for more than slavery, and include slavery, racial segregation, unequal treatment before the law, other types of discrimination, and "racism" generally.

Hard to quantify, but quantifying such things is what civil suits are for, assuming the plaintiff wins.
Ok. Fair enough. In this instance, comparing California to what’s now Canada, both have similar sized populations, similar numbers of slaves involved (though over different time frames, but that’s probably irrelevant), both are (currently) in the top 10 entities for GDP globally, neither ever had legally sanctioned slavery (though that’s only a portion of what reparations may legally cover), etc…as far as being defendants goes. The courts can decide upon the parallels or not with respect to the plaintiffs (or descendants thereof, etc…).
I have experience with these kinds of questions because of my professional career dealing with issues like "Can you put mushrooms on meatlovers?" and "When exactly does the clock start on 'delivery in 20 minutes or it's free?'"
It’s good to be mentally versatile, being able to draw parallels between diverse subjects to find or disprove correlations. I see that as an asset. Kudos! It demonstrates mental agility.

• Angry
Reactions: Tecumsehsbones

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Ok. Fair enough. In this instance, comparing California to what’s now Canada, both have similar sized populations, similar numbers of slaves involved (though over different time frames, but that’s probably irrelevant), both are (currently) in the top 10 entities for GDP globally, neither ever had legally sanctioned slavery (though that’s only a portion of what reparations may legally cover), etc…as far as being defendants goes. The courts can decide upon the parallels or not with respect to the plaintiffs (or descendants thereof, etc…).

It’s good to be mentally versatile, being able to draw parallels between diverse subjects to find or disprove correlations. I see that as an asset. Kudos! It demonstrates mental agility.
Well, ya can't actually compensate the slaves, being dead and beyond the need for money, y'know?

And who you callin' an "asset," BOY?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Well, this is very pigmentation specific, so apologies to Slavics, Irish, Dene, etc…
View attachment 22910
Your day may come for specific government handouts of this nature, but that day isn’t today.
Well, theyre gonna have to use another word than slave. That is specific to Slavs.

I sure as shit didnt give permission a d they still havent bucked up for intergenerational trauma cause by the internment camps and enslavement 100 years ago.

A statue in the middle of nowhere just isnt enough.

How much are Banff and Jasper worth?

Last edited: