RCMP union applies to trademark potential names for a hypothetical Alberta provincial police force

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan

The union representing RCMP officers is trying to throw up a roadblock for the province by seeking to trademark names for a hypothetical provincial police force.

Online records show that the National Police Federation applied to the Canadian Intellectual Property Offices to trademark “Alberta Police Force,” “Alberta Police Department,” “Alberta Provincial Police,” “Alberta Police Service,” and “Alberta Provincial Police Service” last February. The applications are still being examined and no date has been set for a decision.

The Alberta government is still mulling over the idea of creating its own police force and ending its contract with the RCMP, something Premier Jason Kenney has said would allow for officers who are more familiar with the community where they work. The union claims the move to a provincial police force would end up end up costing more for less service.

In a written statement, National Police Service president Brian Sauvé said the union’s move to apply for the trademarks wasn’t made for monetary reasons.

“We don’t believe it should be easy for Premier Kenney to proceed unchallenged along the path of this politically-motivated proposal to replace the RCMP with a new provincial police service — which public polling tells us just isn’t what Albertans want, and continues to lack any transparency and accountability,” he said.

….so…. On that happy note….& on the topic of politically motivated, exactly what roadblocks and hurtles did the RCMP erect with respect to Ontario and the OPP at its inception (?) or the Quebec version of the OPP ‘cuz I’m assuming that’s a thing that exists???? Are these hurtles just for western provinces or Alberta, or is this an “across the board” RCMP strategy & policy?

Reactions: Twin_Moose

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
Would this be the (A)lberta (P)olice (U)nion's mascot?

Hoof Hearted

House Member
Jul 23, 2016
Hah!

Good one Moosey! :)

I remember years ago when the Conservatives and Reforms got together to rename the new party. They came up with the Conservative Reform Alliance Party. Everyone was all smug and happy with themselves until someone pointed out the acronym was CRAP!

LOL!

They immediately and sheepishly scrapped the new name!

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton

The union representing RCMP officers is trying to throw up a roadblock for the province by seeking to trademark names for a hypothetical provincial police force.

Online records show that the National Police Federation applied to the Canadian Intellectual Property Offices to trademark “Alberta Police Force,” “Alberta Police Department,” “Alberta Provincial Police,” “Alberta Police Service,” and “Alberta Provincial Police Service” last February. The applications are still being examined and no date has been set for a decision.

The Alberta government is still mulling over the idea of creating its own police force and ending its contract with the RCMP, something Premier Jason Kenney has said would allow for officers who are more familiar with the community where they work. The union claims the move to a provincial police force would end up end up costing more for less service.

In a written statement, National Police Service president Brian Sauvé said the union’s move to apply for the trademarks wasn’t made for monetary reasons.

“We don’t believe it should be easy for Premier Kenney to proceed unchallenged along the path of this politically-motivated proposal to replace the RCMP with a new provincial police service — which public polling tells us just isn’t what Albertans want, and continues to lack any transparency and accountability,” he said.

….so…. On that happy note….& on the topic of politically motivated, exactly what roadblocks and hurtles did the RCMP erect with respect to Ontario and the OPP at its inception (?) or the Quebec version of the OPP ‘cuz I’m assuming that’s a thing that exists???? Are these hurtles just for western provinces or Alberta, or is this an “across the board” RCMP strategy & policy?
Good questions & you have to know that this whole thing is politically motivated. What happens in Que. & ON cannot happen anywhere else. Unbelievable!!

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
The one advantage to having the RCMP instead of provincial or even municipal police is that the rank and file at least are moved around too much for them to create criminal empires. The top echelon will be corrupt regardless of where they are or who cuts their cheques. Back in the beginnings of the last century BC had a provincial police farce. It was ultimately scrapped because of corruption. I believe this is why from the time I was little my father told me to never trust a cop.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com

none will be granted because right of first use is gone..

Alberta Provincial Police domain registration was done ages ago.. so right of first use gone

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
In June, a Commons committee led by Justin Trudeau’s Liberals recommended that “the government of Canada explore the possibility of ending contract policing within the Royal Canadian Mounted Police and that the government work with the provinces, territories and municipalities to help those interested establish their own provincial and territorial police services.”

Police sources say community work has pulled the force away from its mandate to fight crime of national importance, including terrorism, anti-terrorism, organized crime, border security, major commercial crime, cybercrime and much else.

These areas are understaffed and underfunded, this argument goes, because so many recruits end up on contract work. Mounties feel their reputation as upstanding defenders in red serge is being undercut by a stream of stories about local officers in trouble. While they don’t deny that RCMP officers make mistakes, Mountie traditionalists say the force should no longer be involved in local policing at all.

The UCP (Alberta Provincial Political Party) meanwhile, believe they’ll look like geniuses when the RCMP pullout is announced. Alberta would be far ahead of everybody else and eligible for transition money. If it doesn’t happen? Well, they’d still have the provincial force as a symbol of Alberta’s “autonomy.”

If such a transition were thrust on the country, there would have to be massive federal assistance to provinces forced to convert. Maybe that’s why Madu sounds so confident about the cost.

The talk of a Mountie pullout plan is widely but quietly cited within the Alberta government as one rationale for a provincial force.

It would all make sense, though, if the Mounties really are planning to pull out of community and provincial agreements in eight provinces and three territories — everywhere but Ontario and Quebec, which have their own provincial forces.

• Wow
Reactions: Twin_Moose

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
In June, a Commons committee led by Justin Trudeau’s Liberals recommended that “the government of Canada explore the possibility of ending contract policing within the Royal Canadian Mounted Police and that the government work with the provinces, territories and municipalities to help those interested establish their own provincial and territorial police services.”

Police sources say community work has pulled the force away from its mandate to fight crime of national importance, including terrorism, anti-terrorism, organized crime, border security, major commercial crime, cybercrime and much else.

These areas are understaffed and underfunded, this argument goes, because so many recruits end up on contract work. Mounties feel their reputation as upstanding defenders in red serge is being undercut by a stream of stories about local officers in trouble. While they don’t deny that RCMP officers make mistakes, Mountie traditionalists say the force should no longer be involved in local policing at all.

The UCP (Alberta Provincial Political Party) meanwhile, believe they’ll look like geniuses when the RCMP pullout is announced. Alberta would be far ahead of everybody else and eligible for transition money. If it doesn’t happen? Well, they’d still have the provincial force as a symbol of Alberta’s “autonomy.”

If such a transition were thrust on the country, there would have to be massive federal assistance to provinces forced to convert. Maybe that’s why Madu sounds so confident about the cost.

The talk of a Mountie pullout plan is widely but quietly cited within the Alberta government as one rationale for a provincial force.

It would all make sense, though, if the Mounties really are planning to pull out of community and provincial agreements in eight provinces and three territories — everywhere but Ontario and Quebec, which have their own provincial forces.
That is not a bad thing . Once this country disintegrates , which is bound to happen , we will need provincial police forces . We must not allow them unionization .

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
I already paid for police infrastructure once already, I fail to see why I should pay to build another infrastructure to service policing for AB again.

I’m not comfortable with that AB minister dude recommending that AB get it’s own police force. Just what credentials does he have that he can make such a recommendation, we know he is here in this country because he was part of the problem in screwing up his country, so now is he going to screw up our poor but functioning police force. I wonder if he knows anything about how to properly manage a police force like you would mange any large contractor, putting in place objectives, manpower, budgets etc etc??

Just how AB having it’s own police force is supposed to be better in beyond my understanding of policing.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
I already paid for police infrastructure once already, I fail to see why I should pay to build another infrastructure to service policing for AB again.

I’m not comfortable with that AB minister dude recommending that AB get it’s own police force. Just what credentials does he have that he can make such a recommendation, we know he is here in this country because he was part of the problem in screwing up his country, so now is he going to screw up our poor but functioning police force. I wonder if he knows anything about how to properly manage a police force like you would mange any large contractor, putting in place objectives, manpower, budgets etc etc??

Just how AB having it’s own police force is supposed to be better in beyond my understanding of policing.
How is having a police force controlled by Ottawa good for Alberta ?

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
How is having a police force controlled by Ottawa good for Alberta ?
That’s where proper management of a contractor comes in, as a buyer of the service you take control of all aspects the contractor has in providing you the service and make sure he understands the scope of his undertaking.

Reactions: Ron in Regina

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
That’s where proper management of a contractor comes in, as a buyer of the service you take control of all aspects the contractor has in providing you the service and make sure he understands the scope of his undertaking.
That is sure a lot of words that say nothing , are you a lawyer or political sciences major per chance ?

• Haha
Reactions: 55Mercury