Privatizing Aboriginal Reserves

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
So what some people are saying in this forum, is that because Canadians don't care about aboriginals stories, all Canadians are bigots, LMFAO!!!!!!!
No one said that. You really should stick to reality.

Great that someone brings up a mortgage, they have an end date. Duh.
Because it's written in. Treaties have end dates written into them too.

If you actually had a degree in history, I wouldn't have to keep explaining these obvious things to you.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
So what some people are saying in this forum, is that because Canadians don't care about aboriginals stories, all Canadians are bigots, LMFAO!!!!!!!
Who said that? I must have missed those posts.

Great that someone brings up a mortgage, they have an end date. Duh.
That would depend upon what it says in the mortgage contracts. Besides some people only ever shut a mortgage down when they sell. Others also keep renewing theirs or remortgaging.
Ever heard of a 99 year lease? An uncle of mine had the last one of 2 of those leases in his family. That covers 198 years of him and his predecessor.

DUH

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Whether the mortgage is long or short, you have to pay, if one side decides not to pay, then it becomes invalid. People and organisations walk away from mortgages/treaties/contracts because they can.
You don't know much about how things work.

I'm not surprised.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Whether the mortgage is long or short, you have to pay, if one side decides not to pay, then it becomes invalid.
Invalid? try not paying your mortgage. You'll soon find out that cancelling the mortgage is not the only thing that debtors do.
People and organisations walk away from mortgages/treaties/contracts because they can.
yup. And they pay penalties or they go bankrupt to avoid any costs.
Treaties are pretty much the same. They are contracts. They're not all the same either. Each has its own set of clauses of demands and obligations.

BTW, if you go bankrupt, you are pretty much fracked for using anything except cash, because you not only have no credit, you are a credit risk and not a bank or credit union, trust company will touch you.
Canada happens to have a pretty good credit rating and if word got out it ducked out of treaties (contracts), that credit rating would take a beating. Just ask BC's last Dipper gov't.
And if you say so what if our credit rating takes a dive? lol The answer would be that if it did, any interest rates on anything that Canada owes would spike and we'd be paying a LOT more interest than we were. About a third of what we pay now is going to service the interest on the debt. Want Canadians to pay another few % more interest points on the $580 billion we owe now?

Last edited:

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Who said that? I must have missed those posts.

He sees what he wants to see.

Whether the mortgage is long or short, you have to pay, if one side decides not to pay, then it becomes invalid. People and organisations walk away from mortgages/treaties/contracts because they can.

And what exactly happens to folks who decide not to pay? You make it seem as if they walk away and that's it, that's all, no harm, no foul. That may be how you want it to work, but it is not how things actually do work in the world.

You don't know much about how things work.

I'm not surprised.

Really Bear? See, I'm constantly finding myself surprised. Just when I think he can't say anything more ridiculous, he goes and suprises me.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
And what exactly happens to folks who decide not to pay? You make it seem as if they walk away and that's it, that's all, no harm, no foul. That may be how you want it to work, but it is not how things actually do work in the world.

I mentioned before, It's not about walking away. This Canadian problem will last many more decades. Many aboriginals grow up in towns where English is their second language, are illiterate, and have few technical skills to gain employment. Take a look at Main and Hastings in Vancouver, it is the poorest postal code in Canada, which has a large number of Indians there on welfare.

It will take, as mentioned above, decades to end the treaty system because most Indians simply cannot join society as productive members under the current system. The current system throws them to the wolves, like Attawaspikat.

The average payout by INAC is $10,000 per person per year, from a $10 billion budget, yearly. Not enought gets to people who need it, and too much goes paper pushers.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
The average payout by INAC is $10,000 per person per year, from a $10 billion budget, yearly.

jwmcq625

Nominee Member
Sep 14, 2007
If Canadian's don't care why are they so upset with the feds how they are inappropriately handling the situation where First Nations People are living in squallor in Norhtern Ontario on just one reserve, and that does not count the other First Nations communities that our federal government want to manage instead of help? Is that why the United Nations has chastized Canada for our treatment of our Indiginous people, and that is nt the first time the UN has taken Canada to task for this abuse, they also took to task the Liberals for doing the exact same things, yet our feds do not seem to get the message.

The feds would live to deed this land to individual First Nations people so that with their lack of education and understanding would be taken advantage of by corporate entities and when they wind up losing their lands to unscrupulous wealthy individuals, the government will just sit back and say, there is nothing we can do as they no longer own the land it was foreclosed by the banks.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
If Canadian's don't care why are they so upset with the feds how they are inappropriately handling the situation where First Nations People are living in squallor in Norhtern Ontario on just one reserve, and that does not count the other First Nations communities that our federal government want to manage instead of help? Is that why the United Nations has chastized Canada for our treatment of our Indiginous people, and that is nt the first time the UN has taken Canada to task for this abuse, they also took to task the Liberals for doing the exact same things, yet our feds do not seem to get the message.

The feds would live to deed this land to individual First Nations people so that with their lack of education and understanding would be taken advantage of by corporate entities and when they wind up losing their lands to unscrupulous wealthy individuals, the government will just sit back and say, there is nothing we can do as they no longer own the land it was foreclosed by the banks.
Don't safegards have to be put in place to make sure those same abuses weren't taking place when the Gov was in control of the land? Each area would have to be examined on it's own as the reservations were often chosen because they was the most worthless land in the area (granted lakes do have worth but only limited unless lots of money was poured into the revenue potential they have.
With privatization comes a business license for whatever by all the people that live there and the former owners can supply the education free but no labor, that is via the tribes people or they hire out at the same rate as workers get in the area.

With the privatization could a smoke-house be started up where guests from the communities outside the Rez could be invited in and be given drugs that are associated with Native culture if they were capable of driving when they left. With the special rights they have would that stay or go, for example the smoke-house. Could natives from various South American countries be invited up for aboriginal talks and be allowed to bring their plants that they use in their smoke-houses back home? In the extreme the smoke-houses might prove helpful in treating addictions like crack and speed and tobacco and alcohol and greed in general and that would mean their rates could triple and they would be classified as a treatment center rather than a haven for illegal drug use.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
With the privatization could a smoke-house be started up where guests from the communities outside the Rez could be invited in and be given drugs that are associated with Native culture if they were capable of driving when they left.
What drugs? Which Native culture?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
C'mon Bear, it's all one culture... Sure, there were numerous individual societies with their own unique distinctions, but why let that complicate things? It's so much easier to just label it under one umbrella
Which is why I keep asking these meat heads these types of questions.

With the same results each and every time, (Insert some example of silly diversion, dismissal, or dodge here).

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I'm especially interested in hearing about the narco-tourism opportunities that were insinuated.
So am I, but not nearly as interested as I am in hearing what special rights we have, or which Nations consider themselves sovereign, dual citizens, or citizens of Canada.

All questions that have gone unanswered.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
So am I, but not nearly as interested as I am in hearing what special rights we have, or which Nations consider themselves sovereign, dual citizens, or citizens of Canada.

The 'narco' comment goes far in questioning the actual level of knowledge that Canadians (in general) have on these culturally based issues.

Personally, I have little knowledge in this area, but try to recognize that this lack of understanding is an excellent reason not to cast aspersions and generalizations.

All questions that have gone unanswered.

I hate to be the bearer of ill news, but I wouldn't hold-out on getting any volume of informed opinion on this.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
C'mon Bear, it's all one culture... Sure, there were numerous individual societies with their own unique distinctions, but why let that complicate things? It's so much easier to just label it under one umbrella

But it's more convenient to argue when everything is under one umbrella. One pill,one solution, that's the world we live in right?

Which is why I keep asking these meat heads these types of questions.

With the same results each and every time, (Insert some example of silly diversion, dismissal, or dodge here).

At least it has the virtue of not being anti-jew comment. On some level that's progress, right?

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Great observation, it really dove-tails quite well with the narco-tourism opportunity. You know, society engages a pharmacological solution to all that ails ya - this might just be something that catches on.

Of course, that's why everyone is so overweight. Everyone's just waiting for the right 'magic pill' to come along.

We could totally make this idea work with narco-tourism, with the right spin, anything can work. ;)