'Pipelines will be blown up,' says David Suzuki, if leaders don't act on climate change

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Me too.. great minds think alike 😂😂
i dont want to feel left out so i will post it as well. ;)
GOLDSTEIN: Suzuki predicts 'blown up' pipelines to protest climate change
Author of the article:Lorrie Goldstein
Publishing date:Nov 22, 2021 • 4 hours ago • 3 minute read • 129 Comments
Environmental activist David Suzuki speaks during a rally in 2019.
Environmental activist David Suzuki speaks during a rally in 2019. PHOTO BY CANADIAN PRESS FILE PHOTO /Toronto Sun
Article content
David Suzuki predicted over the weekend that “there are going to be pipelines blown up if our leaders don’t pay attention to what’s going on” with climate change.

Suzuki’s comment to Victoria, B.C. television station Chek News during a protest by the radical environmental group, Extinction Rebellion, during “a funeral for the future” can be interpreted in one of two ways.

Either as a threat, or a warning.

Suzuki said he intended it as a warning, but it’s not as if he hasn’t made extreme statements in the past.

He has repeatedly called, for example, for former prime minister Stephen Harper to be jailed for intergenerational crimes against humanity because of his record on climate change.

Except Harper’s record on climate change is the same as every other Canadian prime minister, starting with Brian Mulroney and continuing through Jean Chretien, Paul Martin, Harper and Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.

All of them made promises on reducing Canada’s greenhouse gas emissions — and all of them failed to deliver.

Noteworthy, however, is that when Harper was defeated by Trudeau in 2015, Canada’s annual emissions were 723 million tonnes. In 2019 — the last year for which government data are available — Canada’s emissions under Trudeau after his first four years in power, were 730 million tonnes — up by 1% or 7 million tonnes.

That said, agree or disagree with Trudeau’s climate policies, the prime minister cannot accurately be accused of not paying attention to what’s going on with climate change.

Since coming to power in 2015, his government committed to spending more than $100 billion fighting climate change, including almost $8 billion in climate-related foreign aid to developing nations.

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content

He has passed into law a carbon tax/price that is currently $40 per tonne of emissions, rising to $170 per tonne in 2030.

Next year, he will introduce a second carbon tax/price, known as the Clean Fuel Standard.

Trudeau has also raised his commitment under the UN Paris climate accord he signed in 2015 to lower Canada’s emissions to 30% below 2005 levels by 2030, to a new, more stringent target of 40%-45% below.

To qualify that, Trudeau is expected to miss his 2020 target of reducing emissions to 17% below 2005 levels by 2020, although that won’t officially be known until 2022, because federal government emissions data are always released two years after the fact.

But the reality is that while Suzuki, Extinction Rebellion, et al. will never be satisfied no matter what any Canadian government does on climate change, even by Suzuki’s bizarre logic, Canadian pipelines should be safe from being blown up.

That said, Suzuki’s comments do raise the question of which Canadian pipelines Suzuki thinks are in danger of being blown up?

Would it be, TC Energy’s 670-kilometre Coastal GasLink pipeline from Dawson Creek to Kitimat, B.C., which is supported by 20 elected First Nations band councils along the route, intended to export Canada’s natural gas resources to global markets?

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
MORE ON THIS TOPIC

A polar bear walks on ice in the Canadian Arctic.
BONOKOSKI: News flash — Arctic ice is not melting, Santa’s safe
David Suzuki speaks during his
MALCOLM: It's time to dethrone Saint Suzuki
None
Down Under blunder: David Suzuki unmasked as a know-nothing huckster on Australian TV

While Wet’suwet’en hereditary chiefs along the route, who claim they have the sole authority to decide the issue, oppose the pipeline — leading to anti-pipeline blockades and other protests across Canada — five of the six band councils in the Wet’suwet’en nation support it.

As an alternative, does Suzuki think the Trans Mountain oil pipeline — the one the Trudeau government bought from Kinder Morgan and hopes to sell to a willing consortium of Indigenous owners — is in danger of being blown up?

• Love
Reactions: Mowich and petros

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
While Suzuki later told the National Post that he does not support blowing up pipelines, he cannot be naïve enough to believe his “warning” could not have consequences. It’s like U.S. President Donald Trump admonishing an angry crowd, “if you don’t fight like hell you’re not going to have a country anymore,” in the hours before the mob stormed the Capitol. Wink wink, not inciting anyone, just expressing an opinion, nothing to see here.
1637695840324.jpeg
It’s official: David Suzuki has jumped the shark. At a protest by the extremist anti-fossil fuels group Extinction Rebellion and a subsequent interview with CHEK News, Suzuki said “We’re in deep, deep doo-doo … This is what we’re come to. The next stage after this, there are going to be pipelines blown up if our leaders don’t pay attention to what’s going on.
Even the David Suzuki Foundation has disavowed the remarks, putting out a Twitter thread in which they stated that Suzuki speaks on his own behalf (despite the fact he was wearing a Foundation jacket at the time), etc….more at the above LINK.

• Love
Reactions: Mowich

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Much as I despise this turd, he is right about a few things.
The world is overpopulated.
Humans shit all over everything they touch.
Now, if all these save the planet types would just off themselves the rest of us would be fine.
Something I have noticed being all over the coast and the islands is the save the earth types all have 4 or 5 offspring that are mostly old enough now to have 4 or 5 more offspring of their own. Mostly collecting welfare.
Suzuki has 5 kids. So much for worrying about over population.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Don't worry about it. Mom Nature has a solution.

It's called a "dieback."
Doesn't worry me much, as long as they quit coming to my islands.
But, the only way to cut demand for goods and services is to cut the population by a significant amount. If all countries had our standard of living, the demand for fossil fuels and minerals would at least double from what it is now.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
But, the only way to cut demand for goods and services is to cut the population by a significant amount. If all countries had our standard of living, the demand for fossil fuels and minerals would at least double from what it is now.
Don't worry me a bit. I'm old and I don't have kids. As far as them "coming to my islands," I'm sure the FNs would agree wholeheartedly.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Don't worry me a bit. I'm old and I don't have kids. As far as them "coming to my islands," I'm sure the FNs would agree wholeheartedly.
Some of them, yes. Some of them are earning a living catering to tourists, so they have a sort of bipolar thing. But I was born here and my parents were born here so I figure that makes me native. Aside from my grandmother being half Cherokee and my daughterin law being Kwiutl.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Some of them, yes. Some of them are earning a living catering to tourists, so they have a sort of bipolar thing. But I was born here and my parents were born here so I figure that makes me native. Aside from my grandmother being half Cherokee and my daughterin law being Kwiutl.
You're on Tsa-La-Gi land? Funny, I thought you were in British Columbia.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
How will you keep them off your islands when our federal government wants to import 500,000 more every year .

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Extinction Rebellion defends David Suzuki's pipeline comments

Extinction Rebellion Canada is defending the comments made by Vancouver environmentalist David Suzuki, who said on Saturday that “there are going to be pipelines blown up if our leaders don’t pay attention to what’s going on.”

In a release issued late Tuesday night, the environmental group insists that Suzuki’s comments were not controversial (?), and are indicative of what is to come if governments do not address the climate crisis.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Extinction Rebellion and David Suzuki make a lovely couple.

Both are absolutely full of shyte.
The biggest worry is the number of Canadians who approve of them. There'll always be some loudmouth calling for violence (and never getting stuck in himself). Civilization is maintained by the great mass of people rejecting such calls, and naming the caller what he is. . . a coward and a fool.