Peterborough police investigating after protesters hurl insults at NDP's Jagmeet Singh

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Peterborough police investigating after protesters hurl insults at NDP's Jagmeet Singh
Author of the article:Canadian Press
Canadian Press
Publishing date:May 12, 2022 • 14 hours ago • 2 minute read • 10 Comments

OTTAWA — Police are investigating after a video circulated on social media showed people hurling verbal abuse at NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh during a protest in Peterborough, Ont., this week.

The federal NDP leader had dropped by the campaign office for Jen Deck, the Ontario NDP candidate for Peterborough-Kawartha in the provincial election, on Tuesday afternoon.

A video shows Singh encountering protesters as he left the campaign office, who can be heard shouting expletives at him and calling him a “traitor” as he gets inside a vehicle.

Tim Farquharson, the acting chief of the Peterborough Police Service, said Thursday that police are “actively investigating” after receiving a complaint.

“Anyone seeing the video should find it disheartening, morally unacceptable and lacking the respect each resident and visitor deserves,” he said in a video posted to YouTube.

“Thank you to all who have stepped up to say that.

“To those involved in this incident and other forms of harassment, intimidation, and in some cases hate incidents or hate crimes in the communities we police, your actions and belief systems are reprehensible, unconscionable and in some cases criminal,” Farquharson said.

Police also encouraged anyone with more video or information to come forward.

Singh told reporters Thursday that he found the experience “intense, threatening (and) insulting” but that he is more worried about what it means for politics in general.

“It doesn’t faze me, it doesn’t shake me in any way, but I am worried about what that means for politics generally, what that means for people who want to participate and see something like that and then maybe think ‘It’s not a place for me,’ and how we might miss out some incredible people who won’t come forward and participate in politics,” he said outside the House of Commons.

“I’ve experienced a lot of this kind of hatred and being physically attacked, even when I was younger, and I’ve learned to defend myself and taken martial arts, but that shouldn’t be the requirement, that you’ve got to be physically fit and skilled in defending yourself to be a politician or a leader,” he said.

“That to me is completely wrong and problematic and that’s what I’m worried about.”

• Haha
Reactions: taxslave

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Yup swearing at useless politicians is a sure sign of extreme right wing terrorism even if it is coming from your base . Useless twits .

Reactions: taxslave and B00Mer

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
That was pretty harsh. The guy calling him “A piece of faecal matter” or something along those lines as well as a traitor…is wearing an orange shirt!! I wonder what that stands for? White supremacy? Misogynistic tendencies?
View attachment 13783
Why is everything about White supremacy? That seems to be the "go to" along with racist. 98% of the population are neither!! Guess one can't "discuss" anything so they use these terms instead because they have nothing of real consequence to say. That's got to be embarrassing!

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Jackmeat deserved every word of it.

"Singh told reporters Thursday that he found the experience “intense, threatening (and) insulting” but that he is more worried about what it means for politics in general."
Spare us, The ALT-left started the fucking game with their identity politics and other forms of politics of division. Never mind that fact that fucking git is propping up a govt whose leader declared an entire protest group to be "misogynists, anti-vaxxers and White supremacists".
So it's okay for politicians to shit-talk us all they want but god forbid the delicate little doilies should have to deal with the backlash? Fuck 'em. If they can't handle the heat of public life and dealing with the consequences of their bullshit, maybe they should take up needlepoint.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
No pension in needlepoint .
Well then they can either suck it up or knock off the divisiveness bullshit. Their choice. Those twats aren't royalty, they're self-indulgent assholes who have LONG forgotten the definition of 'public servant' and now they're getting all fucking whiny because people are pissed at their extremist ideals and reminding them exactly WHO is supposed to work WHOM.

For example, Jackmeat is another goof who keeps pushing to lower the voting age. But ya know what? After some thought I agreed, with one condition; if you're old enough to vote then you're old enough to be tried as an adult if you commit a crime.
I mean if the idiots pushing that crap believe that a 16 yr old is intelligent enough and knowledgeable enough to vote, then they certainly must be intelligent enough and knowledgeable enough to know when/if they're committing a crime.