Pet RATS in Alberta illegal?

jeshikan

May 8, 2007
I am planning to move to the west side of Canada someday and I hear that Alberta is rat-free and that it's illegal to own pet rats. I have 4. They're my babies and I'd never give them up. I know it is or was illegal to own a pitbull in Ontario, but that never stopped anyone.

Does anyone you know still own a rat in Albeta even though it's considered "illegal"? Do you think it'd be ok to not say anything and bring them anyways?
What would happen to them and me if someone was so rude as to tell on me? Do you think the police would actually investigate because of 4 pet rats?? I think that'd be extreme...

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Well, if you're caught with pet rats, it's up to a $5000 fine from my understanding.

Rats get loose, and do what rats do best... breed. The province isn't willing to risk you being responsible enough to keep them properly caged. They spend a lot of money to keep their agricultural supply safe from rat infestation. All it takes is one irresponsible owner to mess that up.

Might I suggest moving to a more rat friendly province like BC if you plan to move west. (Saskatchewan is also planning on banning rats BTW)

ina38

May 20, 2008
Alberta Rat

[FONT=&quot]The are practical reasons why you wouldn't want RATS in Alberta...pets or otherwise. That reason is food! Remember the plague! Rats are not pets....they are dirty rodents that are prolific propagators.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] The province is one gigantic farm and no one wants Rat crap in the food that we each and export. The No Rat law is all about prevention and is no different than monitoring mad cow disease. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]The law is the law! Don't come here if you are intent on breaking the law for your own selfish motives.
[/FONT]

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
[FONT=&quot]The are practical reasons why you wouldn't want RATS in Alberta...pets or otherwise. That reason is food! Remember the plague! Rats are not pets....they are dirty rodents that are prolific propagators.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] The province is one gigantic farm and no one wants Rat crap in the food that we each and export. The No Rat law is all about prevention and is no different than monitoring mad cow disease. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]The law is the law! Don't come here if you are intent on breaking the law for your own selfish motives.
[/FONT]

I wasn't around during the plague, Ina, but thanks for the history lesson. I thought the plague was God's punishment for being know it all twits........shows ya how wrong one can be.

If you can't have rats there, how do the Conservatives move about?

Thanks for setting us straight.

.............(S)

Lor

Jul 10, 2008
Don't think that coming to Alberta, that you will get away with bringing in your pet rats. Because we will rat you out. We don't want rats in this province!!!! You will get a heavy fine.. and they will remove you and your rats from Alberta. So don't be stupid!!! What kind of nut would have pet rats anyway. When I was in Seattle.. I saw a kid with a pet rat, that turned on him. Bit his arm, and he couldn't get the rat loose. He was taken to the hospital. Anyway they are disgusting and dirty creatures. Get new pets!!!!

carmenandcarl

Sep 11, 2008
haha who would wanna live in freakin' alberta anyways, nothing to do there but be a huge Hick! Ur such a moron Lor anybody could tell u just made that little story up to try and make up being a loser in alberta haha

U probably hate kittens and flowers too right? not just pet rats

jeshikan

May 8, 2007
For all you rat hating hicks-you can bite me. I am a responsible owner, thank you. ALSO, you can have rats spayed/neutered like any other pet. Anyway, I never moved to Alberta.

For the nice people, thanks for your comments.

kayleen

Jun 23, 2009
yeah i dont know why you a**holes are being dicks about rats.
for your information theyre ****ing smart, probably smarter than most of you.
And as for being dirty? no. why do you think scientists use them? because theyre
clean and disease free. i work with cargo and we get LOTS of rats in, and ive talked to alot of people about them.
You a**holes need to find a bridge, and jump off of it :)

Last edited by a moderator:

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Well, if you're caught with pet rats, it's up to a $5000 fine from my understanding.
That rat and it's potential offspring will start off eating $5000 of grain the first year then $5000 a month and within that first month grow to eat $5000 a day in food that doesn't make it to the world's tables. Still think it's a silly law?

psychotic

Jul 2, 2009
Ontario
My sister just moved to Alberta...she had to get rid of her rats..I have them now lol

And to every a**hole who was bad mouthing rats, pet rats are adorable. Theyre not visious and I love them. Its just like saying "hamsters are gross" or gerbils. Screw you people! hahahaha:p

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Well psychotic, let me extend a warm Welcome from Canadain Content Forums
to you and your rats!!!! :lol::lol::lol:

Last edited:

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
I used to have a pet rat until I got my cat.
When my pet rat ran away for some reason my cat wasn't hungry