Our good neighbor to the south......

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
That is what I was referring to... the Bananna Wars that happened 80 years ago.

There weren't that many Marines down there either and they did control those places. It was more than Nicaragua too.

Okay.

Missed the meaning of the "Banana Wars" mention.

Although 80 years ain't long in history.........and you are still paying the price in resentment in Latin America.......ever hear of Chavez?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I've heard the name once or twice.

I do not think we are paying the price for the Banana Wars. Latin America is rife with corruption from the left and right. Look at Ortega... yes he is in power again but he was shocked as heck when he was voted out the first time. He called elections thinking he was going to be voted in by a landslide and the people said "I don't think so".

US- Latin American relations ebb and flow. They always have. This is not new. It is the haves and have nots.

Look at it like Baseball... no one likes the Yankees unless you are from NY. They are truly the All Time best team and when they lose we all LOVE it.

Sparrow

Council Member
Nov 12, 2006
Quebec
Ok its time for my 2 cents. I respect the military, it is their bosses the adminstration that finds reasons to send them to war. I really doubt if any soldier wants to go to war but it is the politicians that go out of their way to find a reason to send them to war (Iraq WMD). Soldiers will always be ready to defend their country otherwise they would not be in the military. However I do feel sorry for them when they made their enormous sacrifices for shady causes.