Opposition mounting against 7-Eleven alcohol service

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Applications before the province's alcohol authority would allow booze to be served and consumed inside 61 Ontario 7-Eleven stores

Author of the article:Bryan Passifiume
Publishing date:Mar 09, 2021 • 18 hours ago • 1 minute read • comment bubble6 Comments
7-Eleven store in Toronto.
7-Eleven store in Toronto. PHOTO BY ERNEST DOROSZUK /Toronto Sun
Article content
Plans to permit select 7-Eleven stores to allow in-store alcohol service have hit a sour note.

On Monday, OPSEU President Smokey Thomas announced the union, which represents the province’s 8,000 LCBO workers, filed official objections to the 7-Eleven proposal with the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario (AGCO).

“We’ll find ourselves going down a dangerous path if the AGCO lets this multinational corporation squeeze through a loophole and bring alcohol sales to convenience stores,” Thomas said.

“7-Eleven says it’s trying to make its stores into restaurants where alcohol can be served, but we all know the truth: kids and teens will find themselves shoulder-to-shoulder with intoxicated people washing down a Twinkie with a six-pack.”

According to the plan, alcohol would be served for consumption inside 61 Ontario 7-Eleven stores.

People have until Thursday to comment on the application which is now in the public notice phase.

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

This advertisement has not loaded yet, but your article continues below.
Article content
Nineteen of the AGCO applications are for 7-Eleven locations that fall within Toronto’s city limits.

Wednesday’s city council meeting agenda features three motions requesting the city to file formal objections to the applications.

A motion put forward by Councillor Frances Nunziata calls on the AGCO to deny the application for the 7-Eleven at Weston Rd. and Jane St. unless conditions are attached.

“There are concerns in the community that an establishment with a liquor licence can cause noise and disturbance to residents in the area,” the motion reads.

MORE ON THIS TOPIC

19 Toronto 7-Eleven stores apply for in-store alcohol service
Bartender Alicia Mattoe, right, makes a drink as patrons sit on the patio at Joey Sherway, part of the Joey Restaurant chain during the COVID-19 pandemic in Toronto on Wednesday, June 24, 2020.
BRAUN: Ontario bar owners call on province to sell them cheaper booze
People wait outside of the LCBO in Toronto on April 9, 2020.
LCBO resuming Monday service, ending Air Miles partnership

“If conditions are put in place, these concerns may be mitigated. Under no circumstance should the establishment be granted a liquor sales licence without conditions attached.”

None of these conditions were included in the motion, and inquiries to Nunziata’s office for more information went unanswered.

bpassifiume@postmedia.com
On Twitter: @bryanpassifiume

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
So you can't buy alcohol in shops in Canada? Weird.

You can buy it almost anywhere here (as long as you're 18, of course).

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Council votes to oppose 7-Eleven booze applications
Motions urged the city to oppose AGCO applications to serve alcohol at three 7-Eleven locations

Author of the article:Bryan Passifiume
Publishing date:Mar 10, 2021 • 1 hour ago • 1 minute read • comment bubbleJoin the conversation
7-Eleven store in Toronto. PHOTO BY ERNEST DOROSZUK /Toronto Sun
Article content
People will never get the OK to drink alcohol at three 7-Eleven stores if Toronto council gets its way.

Council voted Wedensday to oppose applications to the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario (AGCO) to allow alcohol service at 7-Eleven stores located at Dundas St. W. at Dovercourt Rd., St. Clair Ave. W. and Dufferin St., and Jane St. at Weston Rd.

The three are among 19 Toronto 7-Eleven locations with applications before the AGCO to sell and serve alcohol, which must be consumed within the stores.

MORE ON THIS TOPIC

19 Toronto 7-Eleven stores apply for in-store alcohol service
Cigarettes from Rothmans, Benson & Hedges, JTI-Macdonald Corp., and Imperial Tobacco Canada Ltd.
LILLEY: Government report shows COVID-19 a boon for legal smoke sales

There are applications to serve alcohol at 61 7-Eleven stores across Ontario, including three in Mississauga, two each in Brampton and Hamilton and one in Ajax, Burlington, Oakville, Oshawa and Pickering.

Public input ends Thursday. Those wishing to offer comment can do so at www.agco.ca.

bpassifiume@postmedia.com
On Twitter: @bryanpassifiume

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
So you can't buy alcohol in shops in Canada? Weird.

You can buy it almost anywhere here (as long as you're 18, of course).
Depends on the province, You can buy beer at the 7-11 in Quebec. You can buy beer at almost any corner store in Alberta last time I was there. But in this case it sounds like they don't want to just sell alcohol, they want to serve alcohol like a bar. And yeah, I have a problem with that too,

Reactions: Nick Danger

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
L C B O (liquor control board Ontario) doesn't want competition in major cities!

In remote locations in Ontario for example River Valley Where I used to attend a music festival the corner store there was licensed by L C B O to sell beer wine and liquor

Reactions: taxslave

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
L C B O (liquor control board Ontario) doesn't want competition in major cities!

In remote locations in Ontario for example River Valley Where I used to attend a music festival the corner store there was licensed by L C B O to sell beer wine and liquor
In 7-11's case it's not about selling selling alcohol, they want to SERVE alcohol for in-store consumption like a bar.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

There are a great number of stores in BC that sell booze. None for onsite drinking that I am aware of though. Who besides a few government employees would be opposed to 7 11 selling beer?

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
I don't see a problem with a 7-11 selling 24 packs of beer or wine or even hard liquor in bottles. I find no reason why they would need to serve liquor for consumption. Like where are the people going to sit and drink? Most people grab their slurpies and go to their car. Not really an option for open alcohol.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I don't see a problem with a 7-11 selling 24 packs of beer or wine or even hard liquor in bottles. I find no reason why they would need to serve liquor for consumption. Like where are the people going to sit and drink? Most people grab their slurpies and go to their car. Not really an option for open alcohol.
Some 7-11s have seating