Ontario Election 2014 - The Official Thread

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
The Hudak certainly didn't seem very interested in working with them. They had pretty much a blanket policy to vote against anything and anything that they put forward, and never made any serious policy suggestions.

It takes 2 to tango. Politically, it was not in McSquinty & Wyn's best interest to work with Hudak any more than it was in Hudak's interest to work with McSquinty or Wyn.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
One would think a government as 'embattled' as this one would go down to a huge defeat. Shows the apathy of some of the voters and the lack of charisma from the other leaders.

One would think government would soon get the idea people are getting tired of non-government, spoiled brat tactics, thievery and childish schoolyard nonsense from all of them

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
It takes 2 to tango. Politically, it was not in McSquinty & Wyn's best interest to work with Hudak any more than it was in Hudak's interest to work with McSquinty or Wyn.

Well, it was a minority government, so the possibility to work together was always there. Every time they tabled a budget, the PC's declared they would never vote for it at the first possible opportunity without even offering ideas that they could support. Whenever they did make demands of the government, it was for things that they knew full well the Liberals could never support.

All that Hudak was interested in doing was racking up a tally of things that Liberals wont support and that he wouldn't support.

One would think a government as 'embattled' as this one would go down to a huge defeat. Shows the apathy of some of the voters and the lack of charisma from the other leaders.

It really does seem to speak to the lack of viable opposition that the Liberals even survived the last election, much less maintain their current standings in the polls.

I don't think that I am the only one who really really doesn't like Tim Hudak, even within the PC party.

On the flip side, Wynn really hasn't done anything to upset people yet, and she seems competent and likable enough, so I'm sure that helps keep people on the Liberal side.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
It really does seem to speak to the lack of viable opposition that the Liberals even survived the last election, much less maintain their current standings in the polls.

It does a bit but you can't leave out the obviously incredible gullibility of the Lieberal voters.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
I don't think that I am the only one who really really doesn't like Tim Hudak, even within the PC party.

On the flip side, Wynn really hasn't done anything to upset people yet, and she seems competent and likable enough, so I'm sure that helps keep people on the Liberal side.

I don't like Hudak. But don't assume I dislike the party based upon your dislike. I really only dislike one party -- the Lieberals. And I will probably vote in the best way I can to defeat them.

And, yes, I wouldn't ever expect the Lieberals to ever do anything to upset you. You really should be their poster boy. :)

Personally, I find Wynn to be unlikeable and untrustworthy. I would think 36% of the voters currently agree with me (+or- 3% 19/20 times). We will see whether that increases or decreases as the campain trail wears on.

Lol, that seems a tiny bit biased.

Just because they have ****ed up doesn't necessarily mean the other options are better.

I do have a bias. And I am aware of it and admit it. There are some people who have a stronger bias but can't see it in themselves much less admit it. Not going to mention any names of course ....

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
I don't like Hudak. But don't assume I dislike the party based upon your dislike. I really only dislike one party -- the Lieberals. And I will probably vote in the best way I can to defeat them.

And, yes, I wouldn't ever expect the Lieberals to ever do anything to upset you. You really should be their poster boy. :)

Personally, I find Wynn to be unlikeable and untrustworthy. I would think 36% of the voters currently agree with me (+or- 3% 19/20 times). We will see whether that increases or decreases as the campain trail wears on.

Support for another party certainly doesn't imply that you dislike or don't trust other leaders. Just because you support one party doesn't mean you hate the other leader.

It is clear that there are people within the PC party that don't even like or trust Hudak, since that was voiced at their last convention.

I do have a bias. And I am aware of it and admit it. There are some people who have a stronger bias but can't see it in themselves much less admit it. Not going to mention any names of course ....

Meh. Everyone here seems to know my general leanings. I don't think that makes it impossible to have a discussion based on fairly objective observations. If people are bringing up Tim Hudak's unlikability at the PC convention, clearly I am not the only one who feels that way.

Count_Lothian

Time Out
Apr 6, 2014
Hudak is a moron , Wynne is a lacky of the Liberal power base, and the NDP don;t have a chance in hell for people will vote for their logo.
no one has the integrity to admit that both the liberals and the conservatives are so much poisin that they can;t vote for either.

The NDP is a nightmare scenario but at least if they win a majority it will clean house in both the liberals and the conservatives.

Hudak looks like the product of a chipmunk who got raped by a squirrel

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
The NDP is a nightmare scenario but at least if they win a majority it will clean house in both the liberals and the conservatives.

People still remember the last time that happened. One of the reason's Bob Rae never challenged Justine at the federal level was he had no support from Ontario and would not win federally because of that.

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
People still remember the last time that happened. One of the reason's Bob Rae never challenged Justine at the federal level was he had no support from Ontario and would not win federally because of that.

I don't know about that. Bob was elected as a Toronto MP and is very highly regarded in Liberal circles, so lack of Ontario support wouldn't be a problem for a leadership campaign.

I just don't think that anyone really had a chance against Justin. Nobody can really compete with that name. The other people who ran really just did so to boost their profile in the party or advance a specific idea like Joyce Murray with her idea of increased cooperation with the NDP. Bob had nothing to gain.

Who do the Liberals have that would really be better than Wynne? She might not even leave after a loss in this election since this is going to be her first election as leader.

The fact is that the NDP are not going to win this election. It would take a miracle for them to end up in opposition, but their clumsy coordination with the Transit Union really doesn't make it seem like they have what it takes. The attack ads about Wynne wanting to privatize the TTC, and Horwrath saying the same thing all day, without a shred of proof to back it up, just makes them look stupid.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
You don't get the nomination in a riding like that without serious party clout.

Trust me, Liberals in Ontario think very highly of the guy.

The rest of us remember his disasterous years as Priemier.

Personally, I like Bob. He is one of the few Lieberals I actually trust somewhat. But he made a piss-poor priemier in 1990.

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013

Personally, I like Bob. He is one of the few Lieberals I actually trust somewhat. But he made a piss-poor priemier in 1990.

NDP and recession certainly did not mix well.

Interim as he was though, I personally think he is the best leader that the Liberals have had since Chretien.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury

Premier is a tough thing to be when you're relying on federal transfer payments to carry your budget. I know a lot of old MTO guys who, in retrospect, found Rae Days a lot better than NO days