Ontario Election 2014 - The Official Thread

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013

None of these things counter my post. As I said, it is a good long term goal, but slashing government jobs and spending will also have a direct negative impact on the economy and therefore government revenues, so it is a tricky balance.

It's not if we should balance the budget. It is how and when.

The Con's plan only balances the budget one year earlier than the Liberals, but contains a lot more pain for the people of Ontario. I think we are better off with one more year of deficit if it allows us to maintain a strong economy in both the short and long term.

Last edited:

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Are you assuming I support Liberal greed any more than I do the Tory version? Seems to me I remember Rae working with what he had. Province downloads came with the Harris fraud

Harris chose a different approach. Rae just shoved it to taxpayers as a new tax and Rae Days. But the ultimate a$$hole in this is Martin so he could lavish in his 'how great I am because I balanced the budget' lie.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Ask any old MTO guy and he'll tell you Rae Days were better than NO days - thanks to Hatchett Harris (whose disciples still make the same "how great He was because He balanced the budget" claim)

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Ask any old MTO guy and he'll tell you Rae Days were better than NO days - thanks to Hatchett Harris (whose disciples still make the same "how great He was because He balanced the budget" claim)

Balancing the budget comes with a cost at whatever level. Personally, I prefer a leaner government with less taxation than one that spends recklessly and forces you to pay more to cover it.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Funny how it's okay when it's your guy doing it eh? I believe there's a word for it. Maybe Walter can tell you - if he can do more than bleed all over things he can't refute or grunt one-syllable silliness

Another one to the 'nads. You're just too predictable, Walter....

Maybe it's time to go to the non-perfumed Depends for the diaper rash

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Funny how it's okay when it's your guy doing it eh? I believe there's a word for it. Maybe Walter can tell you - if he can do more than bleed all over things he can't refute or grunt one-syllable silliness

Another one to the 'nads. You're just too predictable, Walter....

Maybe it's time to go to the non-perfumed Depends for the diaper rash

Just to be clear, I understand why Martin did it. He wanted to balance the books. Of course some of the die hard kool aid drinkers would say he wanted to balance the books did it for the good of the country, yadda yadda yadda. He did it to set himself up for PM. But motifs aside, he did a good thing.

As did Harris.

Both of those opinions of course are mine. I understand some may be on the other side. But it seems that some here are condemning Harris while praising Martin. I just want to make sure that if you condemn one, you condemn both and visa versa.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Just to be clear, I understand why Martin did it. He wanted to balance the books. Of course some of the die hard kool aid drinkers would say he wanted to balance the books did it for the good of the country, yadda yadda yadda. He did it to set himself up for PM. But motifs aside, he did a good thing.

As did Harris.

Both of those opinions of course are mine. I understand some may be on the other side. But it seems that some here are condemning Harris while praising Martin. I just want to make sure that if you condemn one, you condemn both and visa versa.

Let's be clear on one more little detail.... This isn't a federal election so federal scams are irrelevant. Martin's shuffling of debt on the provinces to create an illusion was just as wrong as Harris' sleight of hand downloads on municipalities. Tax burdens didn't disappear. They just shifted down to put more load on property tax payers - some of whom raised rents and passed on additional cost to consumers whose income taxes, sales taxes and fees for service didn't decrease at all.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
I think it's time we put Walter on ignore and have done with the silly troll. Fuks up most good threads with reds and "grunts" as Loner puts it. Never has a point of view, just denigration.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
I think it's time we put Walter on ignore and have done with the silly troll. Fuks up most good threads with reds and "grunts" as Loner puts it. Never has a point of view, just denigration.
Typical Liberal, always telling others what to do. Brevity is the soul of wit as Shakespeare once wrote. Those of you who are verbose have to realize that most of your posts are not read.

Heading to the polling station to vote. Advance polls open today.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
I did the advance poll thing in 1999. Voted for Chris Hodgson in '95 in Victoria Haliburton because I believed in Harris' Con, moved north for school to stay employable after the accident, then voted advanced because I had to move out of my home (In Harris' riding) the end of May due to that "seamless" transition from Voc Rehab to ODSP. Election was June 3 and I wanted to vote directly against the SOB.

Hudak is Harris all over again.

Last edited:

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
I have a personal issue with Ontario so its wasteful practices scare the hell out of me. This link saves a LOT of typing: Ontario eh | Ontario eh

Minimum wage drives prices at the grocery store up. In a heavily union-payscale region, the grocer doesn't mind charging what the highest-paid will pay. I've already given up eating anywhere but home, most outside entertainment - including a lot of driving - and sticking to the law with regards to cigarettes.

Car insurance in Ontario is getting beyond my means. Commercially, I have well over 1.5 million accident-free miles beneath my butt. I have a seven-star rating and a driving record I will proudly compare with any in the province - yet I pay more to insure the damned car than I actually do to drive it.

Fortunately, my mortgage is paid off because I pay more for light and heat than those mortgage payments were. Hydro rates that are artificially inflated - while at the same time, subsidized for sale to other jurisdictions - are far from fair and ethical business practice

When I say agenda - I mean I hope to get folk to actually THINK before they cast a ballot. This province didn't go in the hole because of left policies or right policies. It went into hock because of opposition for the sake of opposition, non-co-operation and just plain greed.

It's just as relevant now as it was in pre-election April. Since Hudak has clearly defined he will attack social services in a Harris-style rampage, I'll offer an excerpt from an editorial I wrote during the Harris Regime....

Dr. James Orbinski, president of Doctors Without Borders, International Council, addressed the issue of genocide in Macleans Magazine (July 1 2001, World Essay; A Meditation on Evil) He is quoted: “...This is how people commit atrocity. The first step is to dehumanize the victim....”

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Actually Rae Days as they were called have been used in America at times
as well. Slashing government workers is not the best avenue to go in a time
of trouble. Those people pay the largest amount of taxes and the revenues
drop and the lower income groups are burden with even more taxes to make
up the difference.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
A lot of them will end up being municipal cops as OPP contract service to municipalities becomes too expensive. When OPP start questioning policy, it's time to take a serious look at those policies