Omnibus Russia Ukraine crisis

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Yep, but capable commanders adapt. And as far as the Russians go, not only do they not engage in combined arms warfare, their command structure is rigid and fucked. There's no such thing as an NCO in the Russian army, all commands come from REMFs and even individual soldiers tend not to show initiative so it's almost impossible for them to adapt on the fly. Then consider there's at least 3 PMCs plus the Russian army and they don't exchange intelligence with each other.

In all seriousness, the ONLY chance Russia has of winning in Ukraine is to play the Chechnya card. I don't mean that dick swinger, Kadyrov. His troops are a joke. I mean doing the same thing in Ukraine as they did in Chechnya. Forget trying to defeat the army if they keep kicking your ass and just devastate the populated areas with bombings and mass shellings until the people demand that their govt surrender.

But hey, the Russians gotta stop bombing and shelling their own people in Belgorod region first. :LOL:
If Russian forces are so inept , why are NATO countries so worried about them ?

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
If Russian forces are so inept , why are NATO countries so worried about them ?
They're not, really. At least not anymore after the last year. All the cracks have been exposed in the Russian military. Their navy is crap. Their hypersonic missile is nothing more than a glorified air-launched Iskander. Their artillery isn't particularly accurate. The tank force was little more than a paper tiger. And now, they have to rely heavily on conscripts who are poorly trained, if they're trained at all.
One Russian medic said he got volunteered to be a tanker. He and the crew were given less than a week to get familiar with the tank's operation and then they were sent off to the front.

An inept force can still cause death and destruction though.

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
I heard that it was the Ukrainians that blew it up. Since it's in the "Russia zone" the people discussing it on the radio program I was listening to said they didn't think Russia would destroy its own infrastructure. Others on the program said Putin wouldn't hesitate cuz he really doesn't care who is affected. So now, who is actually at fault? What's the REAL story?

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
I heard that it was the Ukrainians that blew it up. Since it's in the "Russia zone" the people discussing it on the radio program I was listening to said they didn't think Russia would destroy its own infrastructure. Others on the program said Putin wouldn't hesitate cuz he really doesn't care who is affected. So now, who is actually at fault? What's the REAL story?
Ukraine would have no tactical or strategic advantage by blowing up the dam. Particularly because that water was needed to cool the Zaporizhia nuclear power plant. They already got to experience one nuclear disaster on their land with Chernobyl, I doubt they want to go through that shit again.

On top of that, it pretty much checkmates any attempt at a counteroffensive in the direction of Crimea for months. In fact, it could potentially stall the Ukrainian counteroffensive indefinitely IF the Russians allow the IEA to go in and inspect the power plant.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Both sides are blaming each other. Russia says the Ukraine did it as part of their offensive….& the Ukraine says, why would we blow up our dam and flood our own country, including the Russian held portion of our country?

I’m suspecting the Russians.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Both sides are blaming each other. Russia says the Ukraine did it as part of their offensive….& the Ukraine says, why would we blow up our dam and flood our own country, including the Russian held portion of our country?

I’m suspecting the Russians.
I think the same as NordStream we will probably never know for sure .

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Did the ‘popping’ of the Dam Wash 30,000 (I believe) anti-tank mines into Russia or the Ukraine…which will be found randomly, and accidentally for decades…???
Meh, we got kids digging up UXO from over a century back all the time.

Turns out the government didn't keep very good records of where it was stashing its boom-booms.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Well seeing how the flood is disrupting the Russian troop movement I hope by obvious you mean Ukraine.
Oh please, the Russians shelled and firebombed their own people in Belgorod region. Read post #3,226 in here where I explained why it was obviously Russia.

Besides, that dam was built to be damn-near nuke proof. It's not the kind of dam you can destroy by lobbing a few shells or a missile at it. It was blown up from the inside.