Omnibus: Conservative Leadership Race

taxme

Time Out
Feb 11, 2020
View attachment 13324

We should all know by now that the leftist liberal Canadian media in Canada will now be mocking and attacking Pierre every day and every chance they get from now on. The leftist liberal media hates conservatives, especially those people like Pierre, that wants to change this corrupt leftist liberal crime family cabal that is now running in Ottawa.

The leftist liberal lying media will be pushing and supporting lefty liberal Charest. Charest, or should we now call him Charade, is already attacking Pierre and pretty much calling him a traitor for supporting the truckers convoy and the millions of Canadians that supported those truckers. The leftist liberal pricks in the media will be crawling out of their swampy dirty holes to try and make Pierre look like the devil himself.

Anyone who votes for Charade or any other conservative in the running are not real and true conservatives at all. Especially if they vote for that leftist liberal Brown guy. There leftist liberal attempts to try and destroy Pierre will hopefully backfire. We may be seeing the end of this Marxist regime and cabal in Ottawa very soon, although knowing how Marxists work, they will try and do anything to stop Pierre from ever becoming the leader of the conservative party.

(n)

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I haven't heard the "racists and extremists" story yet, but it strikes me as extremist in its own right, like labeling the Trudeau Liberals as "communists". Mindless mudslinging from the cheap seats.

One than that is apparent is that Mr. Poilievre's popularity has built up some serious momentum, he is gifted at stirring the emotional pot and tugging the right strings to get good turnouts at his rallies. His cries to "bring back freedom" and "remove the gatekeepers" are obviously doing something to appeal to the uncertainties and frustrations of our times, but the cynic in me can't help but notice that his speeches are devoid of any effective policy proposals, or perhaps even worse, contain hints at proposals that could do more damage than good.

We are in for a few months of great political spectator sport for sure, and it will be intersting to see who ends up leading the CPC, and what the LPC does to react, but we shouldn't lose fact that what we are watching is politics, and what plays out for you and me in the end will likely not bear much resemblance to the stuff that is pouring past politician's lips right now.

The reality of it is that government has spent a boatload of money keeping things afloat during the pandemic, that bill will come due right snappy and will likely be felt to some degree by everyone. Next, environmental issues are in the spotlight, something real needs to be done, we are past the time of half measures, that's going to hurt too as anyone who drives will be part of that plan, along with the corporate polluters who have danced away from playing their part for decades. We will have to look at wealth distribution as people are learning that the social and real costs of not paying attention to inequality are no longer hidden.
Well, the accusations are out there as they’re throwing shit to see what will stick what will fall to the floor…Trump-like in the attempt.

While large turnouts don’t necessarily translate into votes, his large following is evidently unsettling the liberal media establishment. Some have reached for absurd comparisons, likening the leadership hopeful to former U.S. president Donald Trump and French presidential candidate Marine Le Pen. Trump campaigned, as we all remember, on an anti-immigration message, and Le Pen’s antipathy towards immigration and the rule-based European Union are a far cry from the mainstream issues that Poilievre has focused on.

Perhaps recognizing that the accusation of extremism won’t stick, some critics have grasped for an old chestnut, which is to point out that Poilievre’s rallies largely draw white folk and not so many people of colour. As journalist Stephen Maher tweeted: “It is a whole lot of white people. If I was Poilievre, I would be wondering why I am only attracting white people.”

This is reminiscent of commentary on the Freedom Convoy, which similarly observed that many of those showing up to join the protest were white, implying a lack of diversity in the supporters of the convoy. The implied guilt-by-association is a classic tactic of the left. The objective is clearly to imply, if not state explicitly, that a gathering of mostly white folks is somehow racist or even white supremacist.

The lack of “sufficient” diversity is then used to delegitimize the cause. I recall that when I pointed out that there were indeed people of colour at the Freedom Convoy protests, the rejoinder often was that there wasn’t a “sea” of non-white people, implying that only this would have made the protests acceptable in their eyes.

This line of argumentation is both pernicious and insidious. It assumes that unless there’s a statistically representative sample of the entire Canadian population — or, better yet, an over-representation of minorities — an event or a cause only represents the interests of white Canadians and therefore somehow should be discredited.

The absurdity of this argument is easy to spot. The rest at the above link.

The idea that the rightness of a cause is to be judged by the demographic makeup of those who appear to support it, a common assumption on the left, is itself racist. Imagine playing back this line of reasoning as follows: if a gathering in support of immigrant rights attracts mostly people of colour, and someone on the right were to argue that this makes it racist because it’s non-representative, that person would be laughed at. Yet that is exactly the type of argument people on the left routinely make, without being challenged.

Poilievre’s critics who resort to such arguments have clearly lost the plot. Rather than engaging with and critiquing his policy platform, they are busy trying to tar him because of the presumed colour profile of his supporters. Nothing speaks louder of defeatism than when you can’t counter an argument and try to discredit the person making it instead.

The fact is that people living in rural Canada have been disproportionately hurt by many of the Liberal government’s policies, such as its climate agenda, and Poilievre’s campaign resonates with them. The fact that most of these folks happen to be white shouldn’t be used to demean and discredit their cause. The left’s attempt to fit everything into a procrustean bed of enforced diversity is actually the most divisive tactic of all.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
This is the part I had trouble with. . .

The idea that the rightness of a cause is to be judged by the demographic makeup of those who appear to support it, a common assumption on the left, is itself racist. Imagine playing back this line of reasoning as follows: if a gathering in support of immigrant rights attracts mostly people of colour, and someone on the right were to argue that this makes it racist because it’s non-representative, that person would be laughed at. Yet that is exactly the type of argument people on the left routinely make, without being challenged.
First off, nobody was talking about its "rightness." Second, comparing the skin-color band of people showing up for an issue that overwhelmingly affects darker folk to the skin-color band of people showing up for an issue that supposedly affects everybody is just stupid.

I recollect when I dismissed the Trucktard Tantrum as White whine. Boomster was quick to tell me that over half of Canadian truckers are non-White.

If that's true (I doubt it), makes a body wonder why the Tantrum was whiter'n a snowfield, if "over half" of the people affected by the mandate were non-White.

Reactions: Ron in Regina

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
This is the part I had trouble with. . .

First off, nobody was talking about its "rightness." Second, comparing the skin-color band of people showing up for an issue that overwhelmingly affects darker folk to the skin-color band of people showing up for an issue that supposedly affects everybody is just stupid.

I recollect when I dismissed the Trucktard Tantrum as White whine. Boomster was quick to tell me that over half of Canadian truckers are non-White.

If that's true (I doubt it), makes a body wonder why the Tantrum was whiter'n a snowfield, if "over half" of the people affected by the mandate were non-White.
B0Ner was being conservative on the 50/50. In logistics there are tonne of operators being S. Asian. It's probably more.

Another is a hefty chunk of S. Asians that immigrate to Canada were farmers and are still farmers or would give their left nut to be farmers.

Rural is changing too.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Probably 1/2 of truckers are non-white, but not 1/2 the truckers in that convoy by any means.
As I said (hope it didn't get buried in there), there's nothing wrong with having a crowd that's mostly this or that melanin count.

But it's hard to hold yourself out as representative of the entire country when there's a notable lack of melanin, or vajayjays, or other group-identifying characteristics in your bunch.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
There’s been a lot of panic over the “P” word lately. Yes, Pierre Poilievre, but more specifically, populism. The term is being weaponized to villainize candidates who oppose the elite status quo, often implying they have devious ulterior motives, anti-democratic leanings and racist views.

Accusations like these are a decades-old tactic of anti-populists and those who want to see them fail. The truth is there’s nothing inherently bad about populism — although, like all political ideologies, it can be co-opted by conmen (or women) and aspiring authoritarians.

There were certainly populist elements to Donald Trump’s campaign, but he is not a true populist, even if it is convenient for anti-populists to paint him as one. Calling Trump a populist, however, allows fearmongerers to undermine populist movements and politicians without actually having to provide proof for all the “isms” they imply.

Take, for example, Poilievre. When elites and opponents warn he’s a populist leader, they hope voters will also hear “nativist,” “racist,” and “fascist” when there’s no evidence to back any of this –– and certainly none more damning than photos of our current prime minister sporting blackface.

They seek to equate Poilievre with Trump, which, if you take a minute to think about it, makes little sense beyond his ability to draw crowds and utilize populist messaging. Painting all politicians who tap into populism with the same brush is like saying all startup owners are fraudster criminals because, like Theranos’ Elizabeth Holmes, they use tech jargon and aim to attract investors.

Trump was unapologetically anti-illegal immigration. Poilievre wants to fast-track immigrant applications and make it easier to transfer their credentials. Trump was seen as uninterested in how government worked. Even Poilievre’s staunchest opponents begrudgingly admit the man does his homework. Trump sought to subvert democratic norms to retain power. Poilievre has indicated nothing of the sort. The comparisons simply don’t hold muster.

The irony is populist ideas, largely from the early 20th century, are responsible for many of the economic and political norms we take for granted today. These include labour rights, public ownership of vital infrastructure, income taxes and even fiat currency.

It was the populist “Free Silver” movement of the late 1800s and early 1900s that led the charge to move away from a gold standard that heavily indebted farmers and workers. There’s an interesting echo of this in Poilievre’s controversial embrace of crypto currency.

Franklin Delano Roosevelt was a populist leader, and his New Deal was especially populist. While he’s largely celebrated now, at the time FDR was portrayed as a dangerous demagogue. The mainstream media hated him, which led him to broadcast fireside chats. A group of Wall Street bankers went so far as to plot a coup.

While it may seem counterintuitive, Poilievre’s populist tendencies have more in common with FDR or Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez than they do a politician like Trump. Poilievre and AOC even fall into the same traps of showmanship over substance: AOC with her “Tax The Rich” dress at the MET Gala and Poilievre’s occasionally over-the-top videos and question period performances.

This brings up another important point: populism isn’t even inherently right wing. There’s a concerted effort to tie dangerous far-right politics to populism, but it exists on both sides of the spectrum. In the U.S., there are populist leaders (and those who seek to capitalize on populism for their own gain) on both the right and left.

Canada’s left has largely abandoned populism since Jagmeet Singh became NDP leader. This, too, helps explain the willingness of non-Conservatives and even non-voters to support Poilievre –– there’s simply no populist alternative. He attracts supporters who identify less with a party or place on the political spectrum than they do as against the elites and status quo.

Of course, one can still debate Poilievre’s ideas and there will be many who don’t agree with him for legitimate reasons. Just as being a populist doesn’t mean a politician is inherently bad, neither does it automatically mean they’re a good solution for society’s ills. Using “populist” as a pejorative to dismiss Poilievre is nothing more than an elitist scare tactic meant to appeal to the very fear and hate gatekeepers accuse him of propagating.

Make no mistake; populism is a threat, but not to democracy. It’s a threat to those who benefit from existing economic and political systems, often at the expense of average Canadians. We’ve been told to be skeptical of populists, but it’s anti-populists we should be more worried about.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I still liked Leslyn Lewis but she’s far back in the pack at this point. I’m also kind’a disappointed that Michelle Rempel Gardner is backing that Quebec Liberal guy, as I’d have liked to have seen her teamed up with Pierre Poilievre & Leslyn Lewis on a united front, but it’s still early days.

I soooo wanted Trudeau to call Lewis a “racist misogynist anti-feminist” but that too may yet come to pass.

Reactions: petros

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I still liked Leslyn Lewis but she’s far back in the pack at this point. I’m also kind’a disappointed that Michelle Rempel Gardner is backing that Quebec Liberal guy, as I’d have liked to have seen her teamed up with Pierre Poilievre & Leslyn Lewis on a united front, but it’s still early days.
I wasn't too pleased with Ms Lewis's position on abortion. Regardless of the substance, going all culture wars when you're trying to woo moderates over to your side don't seem like a very smart strategy.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I wasn't too pleased with Ms Lewis's position on abortion. Regardless of the substance, going all culture wars when you're trying to woo moderates over to your side don't seem like a very smart strategy.
I still soooo wanted Trudeau to call Lewis a “racist misogynist anti-feminist” just for the hilarious optics alone but that too may yet come to pass.

• Haha

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I still soooo wanted Trudeau to call Lewis a “racist misogynist anti-feminist” just for the hilarious optics alone but that too may yet come to pass.
She could be like George W. Bush, who beat the anti-abortion drum on the campaign trail, then dropped it like a hot rock when he got into office. But that's in the U.S., where opinion on the issue is much more divided.

But, Nixon's advice was "run as far to the right as you can for the Republican primary, then as fast to the center as you can for the general election."

"Trust you? If you want people to trust you, don't quote Nixon, ya fucking idiot!"
Mr Archer, Slings & Arrows

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Probably 1/2 of truckers are non-white, but not 1/2 the truckers in that convoy by any means.
There were a fair Portion that were of the South Asian variety . And all the localized convoys I saw out here the S. Asian community were the organizers and majority of truckers .

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
There were a fair Portion that were of the South Asian variety . And all the localized convoys I saw out here the S. Asian community were the organizers and majority of truckers .
In the building that I work in, there’s about 15 different businesses, & five of those are trucking companies, and of all of those there are three owners or employees in those offices that aren’t from the Asian sub-continent, and two of those (including myself) are the two staff that run the transportation company that I’m with.

As far as Transportation goes, white guys generally equals old guys for the most part. Opinionated old guys. That’s the demographic that was initially involved with the trucker convoy, and after a couple days most of them would have had enough and needed naps and quiet themselves…. as old opinionated truckers get grumpy and are use to rolling and not sitting.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
In the building that I work in, there’s about 15 different businesses, & five of those are trucking companies, and of all of those there are three owners or employees in those offices that aren’t from the Asian sub-continent, and two of those (including myself) are the two staff that run the transportation company that I’m with.

As far as Transportation goes, white guys generally equals old guys for the most part. Opinionated old guys. That’s the demographic that was initially involved with the trucker convoy, and after a couple days most of them would have had enough and needed naps and quiet themselves…. as old opinionated truckers get grumpy and are use to rolling and not sitting.
Yes there are many old opinionated driving long haul , they are generally excellent people in my experience . There are also as you well know many from various immigrant communities many born and bred Canadians , and amongst those new Canadians that might not be as politically aware and active . Transportation is hard to make generalized statements .
That said I followed the convoy on various u tube channels from the start and never saw a predominatly white group . It was really quite the heartwarming event .

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com