Omicron

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Aren't those the ones True Dope was talking about? Or do you count illegals as immigrants?
Good question. Tough to find an answer for. Here’s an older news story from the CBC even:

Critics have called them "illegals"; technically it is against the law to cross the border anywhere other than an official port of entry. But once someone is in Canada, it is legal to apply for asylum, a step toward refugee status.

Were they to go to the official border entry nearby, they could be turned back to the United States under a safe-third-country treaty negotiated between the U.S. and Canada that has been in effect since 2004. But it doesn't cover the irregular, unofficial crossing points like Roxham Road.

There is probably some clues or answers here, but I’m tied up at the moment:

Last edited:

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
Arggh. My mistake. I read my source incorrectly. The less than 1% (0.9%) was the percentage of the population who went and got themselves "fully" vaccinated just on Jan 3. I was looking at a daily tracker. My mistake and my apologies for inadvertently giving out incorrect information.
Eh, mistakes happen.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Good question. Tough to find an answer for. Here’s an older news story from the CBC even:

Critics have called them "illegals"; technically it is against the law to cross the border anywhere other than an official port of entry. But once someone is in Canada, it is legal to apply for asylum, a step toward refugee status.

Were they to go to the official border entry nearby, they could be turned back to the United States under a safe-third-country treaty negotiated between the U.S. and Canada that has been in effect since 2004. But it doesn't cover the irregular, unofficial crossing points like Roxham Road.

There is probably some clues or answers here, but I’m tied up at the moment:
I would presume that if True Dope were actually "bragging" about immigration, he'd be talking about legal, proper immigration only.

On the other hand, I call him True Dope for a reason. Sadly, I can easily see him talking about how great it is that Canada is receiving record number of immigrants, and having it just somehow slip his mind that X% are. . . well, let's just call 'em "unauthorized" to avoid another whinge-fest.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Aren't those the ones True Dope was talking about? Or do you count illegals as immigrants?
Here an answer (or lip service, or “Nothing to see here, Move along!” or nothing at all) might be found, or not.

Testing might come down to how someone enters the country, and 14 day isolation is voluntary for some & mandatory for others?

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I would presume that if True Dope were actually "bragging" about immigration, he'd be talking about legal, proper immigration only.

On the other hand, I call him True Dope for a reason. Sadly, I can easily see him talking about how great it is that Canada is receiving record number of immigrants, and having it just somehow slip his mind that X% are. . . well, let's just call 'em "unauthorized" to avoid another whinge-fest.
Officially now in Canada it’s “Irregular” instead of “unauthorized” or “illegal”. I’d assume, being Trudeau, he’d lump all together to pump up the woke numbers for his future UN position, but that’s just me leaning way off to the right regarding this government. 😉

Reactions: taxslave

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Officially now in Canada it’s “Irregular” instead of “unauthorized” or “illegal”. I’d assume, being Trudeau, he’d lump all together to pump up the woke numbers for his future UN position, but that’s just me leaning way off to the right regarding this government. 😉
I don't lean real far right, and I think True Dope is a) not real bright, and b) a liar of truly head-of-government proportions.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I don't lean real far right, and I think True Dope is a) not real bright, and b) a liar of truly head-of-government proportions.
We concur on your assessment of the situation. If I was an American I’d probably be on the left side of the political spectrum to be close to the middle (?) as a Democrat, which is probably of a similar orientation to being a Conservative up on this side of the border. Different way to look at things but it’s how I see it. Oh well.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
We concur on your assessment of the situation. If I was an American I’d probably be on the left side of the political spectrum to be close to the middle (?) as a Democrat, which is probably of a similar orientation to being a Conservative up on this side of the border. Different way to look at things but it’s how I see it. Oh well.
Sorry Ron that is Liberal spin and an Ontario centric idea that holds no water . An Alberta or Saskatchewan conservative may be closer to the middle in the American political spectrum but would never be in the democrat spectrum . In my opinion .

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Sorry Ron that is Liberal spin and an Ontario centric idea that holds no water . An Alberta or Saskatchewan conservative may be closer to the middle in the American political spectrum but would never be in the democrat spectrum . In my opinion .
So, compared to the American parties, Canadian Conservatives aren’t left of their Center (?) and Canadian Liberals aren’t way out left of their Center (?) and the NDP aren’t way-way-way out left of their Center then?

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
So, compared to the American parties, Canadian Conservatives aren’t left of their Center (?) and Canadian Liberals aren’t way out left of their Center (?) and the NDP aren’t way-way-way out left of their Center then?
Yes but no . Canadian conservative parties that are Ontario centric like all parties in this bastion of democracy all try and pander to the messy middle and our Liberal party has them locked in . But Canadian Conservatives are much further to the right then American Democrats and double since that party is getting more and more regressive .

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Yes but no . Canadian conservative parties that are Ontario centric like all parties in this bastion of democracy all try and pander to the messy middle and our Liberal party has them locked in . But Canadian Conservatives are much further to the right then American Democrats and double since that party is getting more and more regressive .
Further as you well know Canadian conservatives have no party that actively promotes their principles nor do they have a media presence to do so .

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Further as you well know Canadian conservatives have no party that actively promotes their principles nor do they have a media presence to do so .
I mean really Steven Harper was considered a far right radical by the Canadian press .

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
It's not really that different. For example many Conservatives and Conservative govts in Europe are closer on major policies with US Democrats than US Republicans. Mind you that was about a decade ago so who knows now. Elements within the Democrat party are certainly rather farther left than the standard liberal.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Well, this is getting kind’a nasty:

Conservative Leader Erin O’Toole has put himself firmly on the wrong side of this issue. He said he prefers a gentler approach, accepting the fact some Canadians will never get vaccinated and finding ways to work around it.

“That doesn’t mean I don’t think that people shouldn’t be vaccinated,” he said. “It means we have to deal with the reality of the fact that there will be a small number unvaccinated.”

“O’Toole, you Right Wing Extremist Bastard! Won’t someone think of the Woke Poser Arseholes needing to punish someone but afraid to actually point the finger at the Chinese Government??”

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Maybe. Depends on who the current leader is and what, if any, their priorities are. The terms leave a lot to be desired.