Olympic chat

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
It wasn't my intent .. just a statement of fact. And everyone knows it's the Summer Olympics that rivets the American attention.. and we always get trounced there.. .

I don't think so. I think our medal count measures favourably with the US when you take into account we have 10% of their population. If I recall, 2012 summer were 100/20 US medals to Canadian

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Sarah Burke’s ashes spread in Sochi halfpipe
PHOTO: AP Photo/David Zalubowski, File2010 file photo of Canadian skier Sarah Burke, who died in a training accident in 2012. Olympic athletes in Sochi have been banned from wearing helmet stickers remembering her.

Feb 22, 2014 - 8:09 AM EST
Last Updated: Feb 22, 2014 - 8:36 AM EST

SOCHI, Russia — Trennon Paynter called it a “stealth mission.”

After training had begun for the Olympic women’s halfpipe, but before the competition, the Canadian freestyle ski coach waited for quiet moment, hiked a little ways down the course, and removed a cylindrical container from its tooled leather case.

In it were the ashes of Sarah Burke, the Canadian pioneer who led the effort to get the women’s X-Games sport into the Olympics but who died in a January 2012 training accident before she could see her dream realized.

Paynter spread some of her ashes on the halfpipe course, unbeknownst to Olympic officials, and so — in essence — the entire competition was skied over the remains of the woman whose memory the International Olympic Committee had refused to honour in any official way.

They’ve honoured her now, like it or not.

Slopestyle gold and bronze medallists remember Sarah Burke

“Well, honestly I’ve known for almost a couple of years now that these Games, for us especially as a team, were really going to revolve around Sarah’s memory,” said Paynter.

“Myself and Rory (Bushfield), Sarah’s husband and one of my closest friends, we discussed it a long time ago that we wanted to bring Sarah here and decided we would bring some of her ashes here and spread them around the event, and try to get some in the pipe, if we could pull it off.”

The actual operation, he said, was where the stealth was involved.

“It was, for one, a very sort of private personal moment so we didn’t want to make any noise about it in advance. It’s probably not entirely following all the rules, but it was something we were going to make happen, regardless,” said Paynter. “And I know that we’re certainly not alone (as Canadians) in feeling that the debut of ski halfpipe at the Olympics was so much about Sarah. Every other competitor from every other nation in halfpipe skiing feels the same.”

Burke’s ashes were spread not only on the pipe, but during a team picture at the Olympic rings in the mountain village at Rosa Khutor, and they even got to ski the halfpipe.

“The first day of training. I carried her with me and managed to poach a couple of pipe laps, and I know Sarah wanted to get a couple of hits in the Olympic pipe, so she got those, which felt really nice,” said Paynter.

“And then I just found the quietest moment that I could sneak in there, and it was a beautiful day, and I hiked down the pipe and scattered some and afterward I went to the very top of the mountain on the gondola, the highest point I could find, and scattered some there as well. So I feel kind of good about knowing that Sarah was … she was all over these Olympics, in our hearts and quite literally, too.”

Burke, who lived near Whistler, B.C., died aged 29, nine days after suffering a head injury in a fall in Park City, Utah. A four-time X-Games champion, she likely would have been favoured to win the gold medal in Sochi.

The Canadian Olympic Committee supplied the cylinder in which her ashes were carried to Russia.

“We made a leather carrying case for it, we got her name on it, and a little poem I wrote about Sarah on it, and a bunch of snowflakes, so it was pretty nice,” Paynter said.

Early in the Games, the IOC said it would not allow the competitors to wear stickers or armbands honouring Burke’s memory, but Paynter said “she was honoured here regardless. The sticker thing, for us, was really no big deal at all. We knew the way the protocol worked here, we’ve known for a couple of years that we wouldn’t be wearing stickers here.

“It didn’t take away in the slightest how much we all felt we were honouring Sarah in this event. A sticker’s a little piece of vinyl. What we carry with us from Sarah was probably 10 times more evident here than at events where we do have stickers. This event, I feel, had Sarah at the core of it.”

Anyway, he said, Sarah Burke’s has been a well-travelled soul since she passed away, and may continue to be.

“We scattered some of her ashes earlier at a ceremony (in Whistler), right after she passed away, and Rory has taken some out to Ontario. I scattered a few in Hawaii on a beach over Christmas, so she’s all over the place. She’s adventuring around the world, as she should be,” Paynter said.

Asked if the container was now empty, he said “not entirely. But very close. But it’s not … it feels a little strange talking about it … it wasn’t all of Sarah’s ashes that we brought here. There’s some kind of all around the world, and she’ll be continuing to travel around the world, I think for some time to come.”

ccole@vancouversun.com

Me, I'm not 'special' but you, Walter........you are very special.......or maybe precious is a better description.

I simply fail to see why both Olympics are not supported equally. Isn't that part of what the Olympic spirit is all about? We have two Team Canada's and as far as I am concerned neither should receive any less attention than the other.

I tried to catch every interview the media had with Mike during the Olympics after I saw an early one where he spoke with such passion and articulation about the team, what the games meant to them and to Canada, and how he was preparing the guys to play. He never failed to deliver great interviews all throughout the tourney. I saw his last one in Sochi where the media asked him to explain the low scoring during the games. To paraphrase Mike who was staring down the journalist, " Is anyone talking about the scoring today?" followed quickly by "Is anyone talking about the Gold Medal? Enough said.".......... and he got up and walked away. Rock on Mike.
Sounds like Babcock is a poor winner. The media does what it does and if he has to be an a-hole about it I hope they dump him next time,. I've no time for a-holes representing Canada, no matter who and how smart they think they are.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Sounds like Babcock is a poor winner. The media does what it does and if he has to be an a-hole about it I hope they dump him next time,. I've no time for a-holes representing Canada, no matter who and how smart they think they are.

Mike Babcock was composed and assured during every interview I saw him give at the Olympics. He never lost his temper and answered question after question regarding the team no matter how ridiculous they were - and some were really ridiculous.

During his very last interview and in the face of really stupid reporters repeatedly asking about low scoring, he let down his guard and I don't blame him a bit - nor do I think he is a 'poor winner'. This is exactly what he said - I just got it off the Bleacher Report which did a fantastic article on our team.

"At the postgame press conference, Babcock offered this: “Does anybody know who won the scoring race? Does anybody care? Does anybody know who won the gold medal? See ya, guys."

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island

if he was very honest with his answers to the press, he did us a huge favour, because i am tired of
seeing these coaches stand there and be so so polite, when they are trying to answer stupid questions
from arrogant media, who think they know 'more' than coaches and players.

he and his team just went through many games, playing their guts out to bring joy and pride to this
country, trying to win that gold medal, and they did that.

the media does what they do? we wouldn't be satisfied with that approach to the coaching, the players,
the g.m., we want their utmost best, and even then, i hear whining, but the media just do what they do?
give me a break, they are embarrassing, they are just paparazzi, no we don't have to sit back and say
they are helpful, because i hear something very different.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
if he was very honest with his answers to the press, he did us a huge favour, because i am tired of
seeing these coaches stand there and be so so polite, when they are trying to answer stupid questions
from arrogant media, who think they know 'more' than coaches and players.

he and his team just went through many games, playing their guts out to bring joy and pride to this
country, trying to win that gold medal, and they did that.

the media does what they do? we wouldn't be satisfied with that approach to the coaching, the players,
the g.m., we want their utmost best, and even then, i hear whining, but the media just do what they do?
give me a break, they are embarrassing, they are just paparazzi, no we don't have to sit back and say
they are helpful, because i hear something very different.

I'll second that.

There were 'journalists' from all over the world at those press conferences and let's face it some of them had a very loose grasp of the game of hockey but felt they still had to get their two cents in for the folks back home.

I can't get enough of all the follow-up to the game talloola - I just love hearing all the praise coming the players and coaches way. Watching Hockey2Night right now and the panel is talking about them.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Canada shows the world what awesome really is.....

Oh ya, and JLM, what do ya think of Price now?

To be honest, I don't think Carey Price will be as good when he plays again for the Habs, but that will be due more to the fact that the defense of the Habs isn't even as close as it was on Team Canada. Price played very well when he had to, and for some people (on the Your Call section on the tsn.ca article) to say that any of the goalies would have had the same result would be a mistake, as who knows if they would have made certain saves that Price had made.

Even though I am a Leafs fan, when the Olympics are on, I am a Canadian fan. And Carey Price played very well, and deserved to be in net. Like he said in the post-game interview, it wasn't just him that won, it was a team effort. Even though the forwards didn't score as many goals as many people thought, they back-checked when needed and performed defensively as well.

Sarah Burke’s ashes spread in Sochi halfpipe
PHOTO: AP Photo/David Zalubowski, File2010 file photo of Canadian skier Sarah Burke, who died in a training accident in 2012. Olympic athletes in Sochi have been banned from wearing helmet stickers remembering her.

It's a little weird that they had issues with the players having a sticker on their helmet remembering her, but they didn't do anything about the French team and their outfits that had been altered (even though that is not permitted). One has the ability to change the outcome, the other just makes her fellow skiers feel a little happier during their runs.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
To be honest, I don't think Carey Price will be as good when he plays again for the Habs, but that will be due more to the fact that the defense of the Habs isn't even as close as it was on Team Canada. Price played very well when he had to, and for some people (on the Your Call section on the tsn.ca article) to say that any of the goalies would have had the same result would be a mistake, as who knows if they would have made certain saves that Price had made.

Even though I am a Leafs fan, when the Olympics are on, I am a Canadian fan. And Carey Price played very well, and deserved to be in net. Like he said in the post-game interview, it wasn't just him that won, it was a team effort. Even though the forwards didn't score as many goals as many people thought, they back-checked when needed and performed defensively as well.

It's a little weird that they had issues with the players having a sticker on their helmet remembering her, but they didn't do anything about the French team and their outfits that had been altered (even though that is not permitted). One has the ability to change the outcome, the other just makes her fellow skiers feel a little happier during their runs.

price made the big saves when called on to do so, and yes, as you say, who knows what either of the other two
goalies would have done in his place. it was a total team game, they all did a wonderful job covering
there responsibilites on the ice, and they controlled the games, had great puck possession, and when
a team plays like that the goals will come, but if price had of let in one or two soft one, the outcome
could have been different, BUT he didn't, he was a big part of that total team effort.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek

Carey was the epitome of cool, shadow - in every single interview I saw him give, he always credited the team and not his play. At times I thought he had ice-water in his veins, he was that calm and assured. Of course he was playing behind a World Class defence so he could afford to be. LOL!

As for the stickers and the unis - sometimes trying to understand things that go on during the Olympics is a recipe for a migraine.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Yep, every game is different as there are a million different variables. -:)

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
The whole team angle reminds me somewhat of what the last Russian coach said after their loss here in Vancouver 'In order to win our generals must play like soldiers'.

Well the entire Canadian team played like soldiers and won everything.

The proof is in the team photo look @ how Happy those players are the smiles the body language tell the tale.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

One thing I really liked about Carey Price was when he was being interviewed he made reference to the rest of the team on three occasions! Very humble man! Anyone who has been to Anahim Lake can understand this, very basic existence and very basic values!

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
It was the most succesful Winter Olympics for Team GB since the inaugral Games in Chamonix in 1924.

And paying tribute to our medalists, a team of BBC employees have recreated some of their highlights from the Games... using their office chairs.

Staff across the UK have filmed themsleves racing mock bobsleighs around offices and staging spoof curling events across studio floors.

A local BBC news team in Bristol created a short film about a 'Bobchair' team led by Points West anchor Will Glennon.

The four-man team are seen forming a chain and wheeling themselves around the office, along corridors and even across the staff car park.

In the 48-second clip, the 'four talented athletes push their bodies to the limit in the Bobchair finals'.

Their colleagues. the breakfast team at Look North, also entered into the contest.

They chose to mimic the curling event, in honour of Team GB's bronze and silver medals in the women's and men's competitions.

Points West do Bobchair and Look North do curling:

The OFFICE Winter Olympics! With Bob Chair and Chair Curling - YouTube

Read more: BBC news staff pay tribute to Sochi by recreating events with CHAIRS | Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
It was the most succesful Winter Olympics for Team GB since the inaugral Games in Chamonix in 1924.

And paying tribute to our medalists, a team of BBC employees have recreated some of their highlights from the Games... using their office chairs.

Staff across the UK have filmed themsleves racing mock bobsleighs around offices and staging spoof curling events across studio floors.

A local BBC news team in Bristol created a short film about a 'Bobchair' team led by Points West anchor Will Glennon.

The four-man team are seen forming a chain and wheeling themselves around the office, along corridors and even across the staff car park.

In the 48-second clip, the 'four talented athletes push their bodies to the limit in the Bobchair finals'.

Their colleagues. the breakfast team at Look North, also entered into the contest.

They chose to mimic the curling event, in honour of Team GB's bronze and silver medals in the women's and men's competitions.

Read more: BBC news staff pay tribute to Sochi by recreating events with CHAIRS | Mail Online

You said the Olympics are for sissies!

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Selling Olympic items for funding for future Olympics.......

A Canadian speedskating double-medallist in the 2006 Turin Olympics has put her skates up for sale on Kijiji, and she wants $1 million for one of her medals to help finance a comeback at the 2018 Olympics in South Korea.

"I'm going to need some funding, and I don't want to worry about money, I just want to train," she said.

"So to me, it's more of my open door to maybe get a gold," said English, who has had three children since winning those medals. "And if the skates are the way I can get better skates, then that's the way I'm going to get them."

Her ad says to contact her if there is interest in the the skates — "and possibly the medals."

English says she will sell her silver medal from the relay event for $1 million.

Olympic speedskater Anouk Leblanc-Boucher wants $1M for medal - New Brunswick - CBC News

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

So 90 years - oh yeah your Soldiers are not allowed out in the cold.