Oil Giant Reports Net Loss

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
California is using NG and nuclear powerplants for generation and desalination.

They are stuck with NG or nuclear.

Without them they'll run out of potable water in a short time.

The irony doesn't escape me here. The last (in California) nuclear power generation goes out in 2024 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diablo_Canyon_Power_Plant & phasing out natural gas to new construction and soon to replacement home appliances, & fazing out gasoline powered vehicles in 2035....leaves what? Electrical power, but from what and where and at what cost? http://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.php?id=46156

At least 1/3rd & potentially more of California's electrical energy requirement will have to come from outside the state from nuclear & coal & natural gas & hydro & so on and so forth....and if others imitate California's PC wokeness....their needs will require the power being exported to California....& again supply and demand with decreasing supply with increased demand results in what?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
The irony doesn't escape me here. The last (in California) nuclear power generation goes out in 2024 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diablo_Canyon_Power_Plant & phasing out natural gas to new construction and soon to replacement home appliances, & fazing out gasoline powered vehicles in 2035....leaves what? Electrical power, but from what and where and at what cost? http://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.php?id=46156

At least 1/3rd & potentially more of California's electrical energy requirement will have to come from outside the state from nuclear & coal & natural gas & hydro & so on and so forth....and if others imitate California's PC wokeness....their needs will require the power being exported to California....& again supply and demand with decreasing supply with increased demand results in what?
From my linked article....

California is expected to officially start up its second desalination plant in April, which takes seawater and makes it potable. The first one opened in December 2015 in Carlsbad that is near San Diego while the next one will be in Santa Barbara that is north of Los Angeles. And 15 more are on the table there.

15 more doesnt sound like cutting back to me.

BC is doing the same thing. Air to air heat pumps and geothermal become mandatory as code this or next year.

Reactions: Twin_Moose

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Yeah, I get what you're stating. I didn't read your LINK 'cuz it wants me to turn off my ad blocker to do so. At present, the two largest and most advanced seawater desalination projects in Southern California are the 200,000-m3/day plants planned to be located in the City of Carlsbad and Huntington Beach, respectively. Both projects are collocated with large coastal power plants using seawater for once through cooling.

My point is the electricity to power these, or California's other electrical requirements (especially if Natural Gas is subtracted from the equation), has to come from somewhere. If/when they phase out Natural Gas, then what? The last instate nuclear plant is already slated to be phased out in a few years.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Yeah, I get what you're stating. I didn't read your LINK 'cuz it wants me to turn off my ad blocker to do so. At present, the two largest and most advanced seawater desalination projects in Southern California are the 200,000-m3/day plants planned to be located in the City of Carlsbad and Huntington Beach, respectively. Both projects are collocated with large coastal power plants using seawater for once through cooling.

My point is the electricity to power these, or California's other electrical requirements (especially if Natural Gas is subtracted from the equation), has to come from somewhere. If/when they phase out Natural Gas, then what? The last instate nuclear plant is already slated to be phased out in a few years.
Magic. They are going to use magic.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.

Site C

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
So.....BC with Site C can supplement California's woke power usage via the courts. Pretty generous.
etc....

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
So.....BC with Site C can supplement California's woke power usage via the courts. Pretty generous.
etc....
M
etc....
where does that say the B.C. Government has or will stop selling ? Once a sucker always a sucker .

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Shell Shuts Down 310,000 Bpd Deer Park Refinery | OilPrice.com