News anchor Lisa LaFlamme 'shocked' after CTV replaces her with Omar Sachedina

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
Poor White people. They're so oppressed.
They are these days. You'll recall the story about having to fire white people first. There's been frequent job postings in canada that say whites need not apply. Etc etc.

But apperently these days its' fine to be racist as long as it's to an acceptable race :) Mind you i suppose that's always the way it's been.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
They are these days. You'll recall the story about having to fire white people first. There's been frequent job postings in canada that say whites need not apply. Etc etc.

But apperently these days its' fine to be racist as long as it's to an acceptable race :) Mind you i suppose that's always the way it's been.
Funny how with all this terrible anti-White discrimination, they still have half the unemployment rate of Blacks in the U.S.

And half the unemployment level among college graduates.

But that's OK, long as you can find something to whine about.

Reactions: mentalfloss

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
Funny how with all this terrible anti-White discrimination, they still have half the unemployment rate of Blacks in the U.S.

And half the unemployment level among college graduates.
Why would that be funny? And what would other people's situation have to do with whether or not there's actual racism against white people? Are you suggesting that racism ONLY matters if someone else doesn't have it worse or something? That only the lowest person on the totem pole matters if they're oppressed? Personally i think ANY racism is bad, are you suggesting some racism types are acceptable or desirable?

I would argue that unless we treat all racism as a bad thing that we'll simply make it acceptable as long as you have a 'good' excuse.

But that's OK, long as you can find something to whine about.
You cheapen and weaken your arguments with such tripe. You're obviously fairly intelligent and reasonably educated - do better than that. Surely we can discuss these points at a level higher than grade school.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Why would that be funny? And what would other people's situation have to do with whether or not there's actual racism against white people? Are you suggesting that racism ONLY matters if someone else doesn't have it worse or something? That only the lowest person on the totem pole matters if they're oppressed? Personally i think ANY racism is bad, are you suggesting some racism types are acceptable or desirable?

I would argue that unless we treat all racism as a bad thing that we'll simply make it acceptable as long as you have a 'good' excuse.
I happen to agree. Not that it matters.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC

Yeah, and you'll recall I pointed out that any such provision has repeatedly been struck down by the courts, and I suspect management knew that very well when they agreed to it.

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022

You cheapen and weaken your arguments with such tripe. You're obviously fairly intelligent and reasonably educated - do better than that. Surely we can discuss these points at a level higher than grade school.
He’s a lawyer but basically a decent fellow. He just trolls the internet to practice debating skills.

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
Yeah, and you'll recall I pointed out that any such provision has repeatedly been struck down by the courts, and I suspect management knew that very well when they agreed to it.
Check out the postings for Canadian government jobs. Follow through the process until you get to the part about points for hiring.you get extra points for belonging to the right minority. Nearly all jobs above janitor requires speaking French even though the job will never need you to go to Quebec. The stated goal is to have all minorities represented equally in government relative to their numbers in the general population.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Check out the postings for Canadian government jobs. Follow through the process until you get to the part about points for hiring.you get extra points for belonging to the right minority. Nearly all jobs above janitor requires speaking French even though the job will never need you to go to Quebec. The stated goal is to have all minorities represented equally in government relative to their numbers in the general population.
Don't think much of that system. Creates too much ill-will.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Technically true but i think you knew what my point was :)
I'm sorry, but I disagree. Words have meanings. That's why slavery is different from indenture. And that's why racism is different from discrimination.

Racism is a thought, an attitude, a mindset, what have you. Discrimination is an action.

And "illegal" generally means "subject to criminal penalty." That's why I said "unlawful." In the United States, discrimination is not a crime, it is grounds for a civil action. Huge difference.

I have already learned from our slavery discussion to insist on precise word use with you. "Effectively the same thing" does not mean "the same thing."

Reactions: Serryah

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
I'm sorry, but I disagree. Words have meanings. That's why slavery is different from indenture. And that's why racism is different from discrimination.
We were discussing racism vs discrimination, not slavery or IS.

And words have MANY meanings as a rule. Does "gay" mean happy or homosexual? You would seem to argue it can't be both. So words don't have meanings independent of context.

Racism is a thought, an attitude, a mindset, what have you. Discrimination is an action.

The words are used more synonymously than that in every day use. If someone calls someone an ethnic slur people will say 'that's racist', not 'that's discrimination', even though they're referring to the action not the thought. People say they've "Experienced racism" all the time, meaning the act of being discriminated against.

IF we were in a court room maybe - but sorry you're just wrong here. Using the word racist or racism to describe an action or situation is perfectly accepted in today's lexicon.

And "illegal" generally means "subject to criminal penalty."
This is Canada. And a Canadian forum. You can definitely go to jail for it here. It is considered a hate crime depending how serious it is. If you speak out against a group or spread 'hatred' of a group for race, then you could face jail time.

I have already learned from our slavery discussion to insist on precise word use with you.
what you've learned is that your defense is to hide behind technical elements rather than real world realities :) Sorry but that doesn't fly. If you find that you have to play that kind of game to make your point, it's probably a very weak point.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Bell's handling of LaFlamme a case study in what not to do
Author of the article:Brian Lilley
Publishing date:Aug 19, 2022 • 15 hours ago • 3 minute read • 26 Comments

I guess in reality, there’s no good way to fire the most high-profile television news anchor in the country. That said, Bell Media’s handling of their decision to part ways with Lisa LaFlamme could one day be a study in how not to manage a hot public relations file.

Their latest attempt at damage control is to announce four days after the news broke that they take issues of discrimination seriously and will launch an “independent third-party internal workplace review.”

After the way Bell has handled this issue all week, this promise of an internal review has all the authenticity of a celebrity checking into rehab after behaving badly.

Most of us found out that LaFlamme was gone from CTV after 35 years, including more than 10 as a national news anchor, from a video she posted on social media. Since then, Bell, a communications company, has seemed one step behind the story at every turn.

They issued a hastily put together news release announcing that, “Chief News Anchor and Senior Editor Lisa LaFlamme is departing the network.” There was a brief mention of “changing viewer habits” but little in the way of explanation.

LaFlamme’s departure puzzling
To the outside world, LaFlamme was on top of her game, her ratings were the best in the business, and this sudden parting of ways made no sense. In the wake of an actual explanation, people drew their own conclusions including that this was due to LaFlamme’s age and that she is a woman.

The ageism, sexism claims – however dubious, it’s a complex affair – were aided and abetted by Bell Media’s decision to announce Omar Sachedina as the new national anchor that same Monday afternoon. Sachedina wasn’t even in the country, he was on vacation in California.

He was told by Michael Melling, the new vice-president of news at Bell, to get to a studio in San Francisco to conduct interviews with local CTV stations across the country.

There have been claims, since Monday, that Melling has been interfering in news coverage, the implication being that he should have no say in the product. That’s an odd position for anyone to take given that his title is vice-president of news, he’s responsible for the division and everyone ultimately reports to him.

That said, those early stilted interviews between Sachidena and local anchors took place under strange conditions including strict instructions on what everyone involved could say. Sources have confirmed that anchors conducting those interviews were given questions to ask and strict instructions while Sachedina himself was given a set of scripted answers he was required to read.

Staff left angry after townhall
On Thursday, Bell held a tele-townhall for staff to explain their position and answer questions. The event didn’t go well with several participants saying there was more anger after than before, that many questions were ignored or left unanswered and that the event ended abruptly after 30 minutes when staff had been told it would be an hour.

Bell has not responded to direct or indirect attempts to obtain comment on how this whole affair went down but did acknowledge on Friday that they’ve handled it badly. LaFlamme responded to a request for comment simply saying the video she released stands and she won’t have anything further to say.

Her confidants though have denied allegations that she was part of a toxic work environment or that any such claims had anything to do with her dismissal.

What is fascinating is that with her single video, now seen by more than 4.4 million people, LaFlamme is winning the PR war. While some try to dismiss this story as not being real news or relevant to people’s lives, Canadians are saying otherwise.

The LaFlamme story, in one form or another, has been the number one story all week on the Sun website. The public cares about this story and many want to know what happened to the woman who came into their living room every night for the last 11 years and why she isn’t there anymore.

I’ve published some of the details, to the best of my knowledge, but we may never know the full story. What we can say for sure though is that Bell wishes they had a do-over for the events of the past week.