New Rib Rub

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I found this recipe about a month ago. I've used it three times now and I don't have a recipe that turns out better ribs.

Ingredients

3 tablespoons brown sugar
2 teaspoons paprika
11/2 teaspoons salt
11/2 teaspoons black pepper
2 teaspoons garlic powder

Mix ingredients very well in large, shallow bowl
I cut the racks of back ribs in two so they fit into bowl.
Rub the mixture well into both sides of the ribs
After you've coated each piece place meat side up in large roasting pan with lid
When all the pieces are in the roasting pan, sprinkle any remaining rub over ribs
Cover and place in 275 degree oven for three hours. That's it...
A nice salad and baked potatoes or garlic toast or whatever,,:lol:

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
thanks juan.... hubby asked for ribs for his return home today, looks like I found what I'll do for them :)

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Where were you last week when I had ribs?? ;)

This looks really appetizing. I'll be giving it a shot next week.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Of course it,s appetizing. The recipe is lifted, in its entirety, from the famed D'artanonion collection perfected and published in 1783 in Clermont Ferrand by Henri Dartanonionon. Despite its being stolen I think its probably will be delicious and the next deer I hit I will be sure to stop and get the ribs.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
One thing I didn't add was that this recipe will do two racks of back ribs quite nicely. Two weeks ago I did five racks
with a double recipe of rub.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
;-)thankee Juan. but I thot you was frontin for one o them rub and tug places yer so well known for out in BC, eh.

Well, not yu personalllley eh.

8O

We are havin ribs tomorrow and i'm givin them the ol;' nugg rubb. hee hee hee.

Spicy hot.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
;-)thankee Juan. but I thot you was frontin for one o them rub and tug places yer so well known for out in BC, eh.

Well, not yu personalllley eh.

8O

We are havin ribs tomorrow and i'm givin them the ol;' nugg rubb. hee hee hee.

Spicy hot.

Let me know how they turned out. What drew me to this recipe is the simplicity once you have the rub put together. Get the rub on and put them in the oven and forget about them for three hours. That's time enough for three drinks at least:lol:

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
if'n yer timing by drinks, for those like Ron, it would be closer to 9 to 12 drinks otherwise he'll be pullin em out in an hour or less. :)

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
thanks juan.... hubby asked for ribs for his return home today, looks like I found what I'll do for them :)

Hi Karrie
I just wondered how your ribs turned out.....cheers:smile:

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
I was going to be unconventional and serve ribs, according to #juan's recipe (i.e. using my daughter, her husband, his parents and our grandkids as guinea pigs), but my wife spoliled my plans by buying more conventional grub for a Thanksgiving dinner.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Hi Karrie
I just wondered how your ribs turned out.....cheers:smile:

I hate to say it but they were a royal flop here. The kids complained that it was not nearly as good as my usual method... slow cooker with BBQ sauce, and then finished on the grill with another generous glazing of sauce. The meat just didn't get as tender and sweet.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Had to multiply the ingredients, but it made no difference: The ribs were a total, unqualified success.

Thanks, #juan!

I'm glad they turned out well. I made four recipes of the rub and stored it in a glass canister with a lid. Makes oven ribs very simple and that is what I need....:smile:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I hate to say it but they were a royal flop here. The kids complained that it was not nearly as good as my usual method... slow cooker with BBQ sauce, and then finished on the grill with another generous glazing of sauce. The meat just didn't get as tender and sweet.

My problem with that particular method is that the ribs are usually overpowered by the sweet sauce but hey, we like what we like..:smile:

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister

Have you ever thought of steaming the ribs in the oven and then applying your favorite recipe?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005

Sorry they didn't work out for you Karrie. I've had good success with this recipe so maybe it's just a matter of personal taste. Since your reply above I've used the recipe again and quite enjoyed them.

Over the years I've found that not all back ribs are "baby back ribs". Some times they cut the ribs with the band saw very close to the back bone and there can be little chips of bone in the meat that can be very unpleasant. The quality of the ribs is important. A good indicator is when you can easily pull a clean rib out of the cooked meat.