New French Language Bill in Quebec violates fundamental rights

no color

Electoral Member
May 20, 2007
1967 World's Fair
It appears that individual rights will no longer apply in Quebec. They are being replaced with collective rights instead.

I guess from this point on, the province will be known as “The People’s Republic of Quebec”. Democracy is no more.

This is precisely the reason why I never bothered to learn French. I was born and raised in Montreal, yet the constant harassment by language police, continuous civil rights violations and other bill 101 irritants just makes French a huge turn off for me. There is just no motivation to ever learn it.

Legault said he would use all means available to ensure French in Quebec is adequately protected "including the notwithstanding clause."
Quebec to use notwithstanding clause in new language bill

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
The language law is a French thing because they are so insecure, others items are ok.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
It appears that individual rights will no longer apply in Quebec. They are being replaced with collective rights instead.

I guess from this point on, the province will be known as “The People’s Republic of Quebec”. Democracy is no more.

This is precisely the reason why I never bothered to learn French. I was born and raised in Montreal, yet the constant harassment by language police, continuous civil rights violations and other bill 101 irritants just makes French a huge turn off for me. There is just no motivation to ever learn it.

The People's Republic of Kwebec sounds better.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

Good. No more transfer payments and no more French on labels. Both of which I find offensive in an English speaking country.

Reactions: no color

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Both English and French are official languages in Canada.
And if you're smart you learn both!
Like I told one english speaking coworker one time...
If we both were stuck in a small Mexican village,
I would do my best to learn to speak their language
But you would expect the whole village to learn english:ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Mowich

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
I’d use the term “cowards” instead of “insecure”. If the law was constitutional, there would be no need to use the notwithstanding clause.
No, I don’t think I would call them cowards, I’ll stick with insecure.

The Constitution was largely drafted by the Libs so it has its own inherent faults.

Reactions: taxslave

no color

Electoral Member
May 20, 2007
1967 World's Fair
The quote below partly explains why many of us in Quebec never learned French.
She said laws like Bill 101 and Bill 96 cause many Indigenous students to view French as being forced on them, which detracts from them wanting to learn the language, particularly when their communities' languages are not promoted to the same degree.
Quebec Indigenous communities concerned with French language bill

Reactions: taxslave

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
But I am not stuck in Kwebek. Should the whole country learn French just to appease a few malcontents that get far better treatment from the feds than we do?

Reactions: no color

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
No, what you are doing is bitching about regulation in a province that you don't even intend to visit and using false equivalency to try and prove your point

Reactions: Mowich

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
What I really don't like about quebec are the french fanatic as much as the English fanatics in Ontario.....some years back I was working in Rigaud Quebec and I happened to have to drive a co-worker to the airport, who was going back home to England.
Because he was early for his flight we stopped at a restaurant for breakfast.
As we walked in having a conversation in english, I overheard one waitress tell the other in french
I understand english but If those two think I'll serve them in English they have another think comming
When we came to order two bacon and eggs and coffee Her response was "Comprend pas l'anglais" Don't understand English!
When I told her in my best french colloquialism...
Tabernack what is it about Bacon and egg and coffee that you don't understand!!
She just turned real quick and got our orders.
When it came time to pay My friend put the money on the table with enough for a generous tip as was his habit!
I told him loud enough for the waitresses to hear ....
In Ontario we pay for the food and tip for the service.
That's when he took the tip money off the table....saying" you're absolutely right...

If looks could kill..........................................

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Trudeau defends Quebec bill that targets English-speaking communities
Author of the article:Brian Lilley
Publishing date:May 18, 2021 • 18 hours ago • 1 minute read • 13 Comments
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says that he supports the use of French and the strengthening of Francophone communities across the country.
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says that he supports the use of French and the strengthening of Francophone communities across the country. PHOTO BY CP /FILE
Article content
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says that he supports the use of French and the strengthening of Francophone communities across the country. That was Trudeau’s main reaction to a bill by the Quebec government that would restrict English-language rights.

Trudeau even said that the province is able to change the constitution, as it applies to Quebec, to say that Quebec is a nation and French is its language.

It’s a marked difference from the reaction the Trudeau government had less than two years ago when the Ford government in Ontario shunted a promised French-language university – along with three English-language universities — citing budget restraints. At that time, the Trudeau Liberals waged a campaign against the Ford government accusing them of not standing up for minority language rights.

“We share Quebec’s interest and desire to see French protected in Quebec and across Canada in fact,” Trudeau said in French when asked about the bill.

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

This advertisement has not loaded yet, but your article continues below.
Article content

While Trudeau paid some lip service to saying English minority groups in Quebec must be protected, he spent more time discussing the need to protect and promote French across Canada even though the bill is seen as an attack on Quebec’s English minority. Trudeau was asked specifically what he would do to protect English rights in Quebec and spoke instead of protecting French.

MORE ON THIS TOPIC

Public Services and Procurement Minister Anita Anand and Major General Dany Fortin look on as Prime Minister Justin Trudeau responds to a question during a news conference in Ottawa, Monday, Dec. 7, 2020.
Trudeau says he knew about investigation into general overseeing vaccines weeks ago
An image of Prime Minister Justin Trudeau on the Liberal Party website using a PC laptop with an Apple logo sticker.
Trudeau's fake MacBook photo draws hilarious reaction online

“We agree with the Quebec government that more must be done to protect the French language,” Trudeau said while adding that French must be protected across Canada.

Anglophones in Quebec are one of the most reliable voting blocs that the Liberals have in all of Canada. While none of the parties are expected to stand up for Anglo rights in Quebec, it is the Liberals who take the overwhelming majority of the English vote in Quebec despite support for bills which target English-speaking communities.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Really , in British Columbia schools the French taught is Parisan and is much different than spoken in Quebec .

no color

Electoral Member
May 20, 2007
1967 World's Fair
Really , in British Columbia schools the French taught is Parisan and is much different than spoken in Quebec .
Why learn French in BC? There are more Mandarin speakers there than French speakers. If learning a second language there is a must, Mandarin would be the logical choice.

no color

Electoral Member
May 20, 2007
1967 World's Fair
Trudeau even said that the province is able to change the constitution, as it applies to Quebec, to say that Quebec is a nation and French is its language.

That’s an outright lie. French is not the sole language of Quebec. I was born and raised in Quebec and don’t speak any French. French is not required if living in Montreal. Pretty much everyone here can speak English.

Reactions: DaSleeper