Netflix's Cleopatra is Absolute Trash.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
*was thinking the same thing....*

Interesting; the idea of Cleo being "Black" goes back to the 19th century, so none of this is actually "new".

I wonder if people shouldn't be also freaking out over the fact that not only was Cleo not "Black", but she also wasn't Egyptian either. But skin color matters more I guess than the full authenticity.

Cleopatra (to be more precise, Cleopatra VII) was Egyptian. She was the last Egyptian pharaoh. She was born in Alexandria, Egypt, in 69BC. She was white, as she was described and painted as such by contemporaries.

She was, though, of Greek descent. Her father, Ptolemy XII, was probably born in Cyprus in modern day Greece. It doesn't seem to be known where her mother, Cleopatra V, was born. But as she was born in Egypt and lived there and reigned over it, she was Egyptian.

Cleopatra died in 30BC aged just 39 after ruling Egypt for 21 years.

Kleopatra-VII.-Altes-Museum-Berlin1.jpg
A portrait of Cleopatra carved in stone circa 45BC when she was around 24 years of age

Last edited:

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Cleopatra (to be more precise, Cleopatra VII) was Egyptian. She was the last Egyptian pharaoh. She was born in Alexandria, Egypt, in 69BC. She was white, as she was described and painted as such by contemporaries.

She was, though, of Greek descent. Her father, Ptolemy XII, was probably born in Cyprus in modern day Greece. It doesn't seem to be known where her mother, Cleopatra V, was born. But as she was born in Egypt and lived there and reigned over it, she was Egyptian.

Cleopatra died in 30BC aged just 39 after ruling Egypt for 21 years.

View attachment 18284
A portrait of Cleopatra carved in stone circa 45BC when she was around 24 years of age
Here's Cleo fer ya.

1684801151570.png

Reactions: Blackleaf

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Well, at least he's not claiming she was English.

Baby steps. . .

No. Left-wing Americans were trying to portray her as black and thus trying to re-write Egyptian history and Egypt is angry. Egypt has criticised the USA over this. When a country is so woke (i.e. America) that it manages to anger another, then you know that it has serious problems.

The problem with the USA, and maybe Canada, is that it thinks the whole of Africa is black and has one culture, as though Africa is a country. You see so-called "African Americans" and think all Africans are like that. The rest of the world doesn't view it that way. We see Africa as a diverse continent with many cultures and skin colours: Africans are black, Arabic and white.

So your American wokeness has now enraged an entire nation. Do you not find that embarrassing?

• Haha
Reactions: Serryah

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
No. Left-wing Americans were trying to portray her as black and thus trying to re-write Egyptian history and Egypt is angry. Egypt has criticised the USA over this. When a country is so woke (i.e. America) that it manages to anger another, then you know that it has serious problems.

The problem with the USA, and maybe Canada, is that it thinks the whole of Africa is black and has one culture, as though Africa is a country. You see so-called "African Americans" and think all Africans are like that. The rest of the world doesn't view it that way. We see Africa as a diverse continent with many cultures and skin colours: Africans are black, Arabic and white.

So your American wokeness has now enraged an entire nation. Do you not find that embarrassing?

I can't say for the US, but nah, I'm not sure of anyone in Canada who doesn't know Africa is diverse. I'm shocked you know though, since you're typically the racist on the forum and don't give a shit about blacks or anyone "Not British".

Hoof Hearted

House Member
Jul 23, 2016
Enter The Cos...

Cleopatra waz the color of a dark jello pudzin pop! Yazee?? She put the foozleflop in the fizzlefoop!

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
I can't say for the US, but nah, I'm not sure of anyone in Canada who doesn't know Africa is diverse. I'm shocked you know though, since you're typically the racist on the forum and don't give a shit about blacks or anyone "Not British".
Yet all African Americans are descended from slaves .

JadynBurgess

Mar 7, 2023
The Cleopatra debate is wild. I get the importance of accurate history, but diverse storytelling is also crucial. It's a fine line, and I can see the different perspectives on this. Here's hoping for more inclusive narratives without compromising historical accuracy! Also, I got to know recently, that Netflix is partly in prince harry net worth. Maybe that will change something.