Need a recipe!

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Okay, so, I'm going to a lobster dinner tomorrow night and have been asked to bring a 'light' salad. I'm at a loss. We're not big seafood people. What's a good, light salad to accompany lobster? I've got a reputation with these folks as some sort of gourmet cook (damn me and my few good recipes!), but I'm at a loss with this one.

triedit

inimitable
Here's my suggestion

BROCCOLI GRAPE SALAD
1 lg. bunch broccoli
1 c. seedless green grapes
1/2 c. sunflower seeds
1/4 c. minced red onion
1 lb. bacon, fried crisp and crumbled

DRESSING:

1 c. mayonnaise
1/2 c. sugar
2 tsp. cider vinegar

Toss all the salad ingredients together. Mix salad dressing ingredients together and refrigerate at least 1 hour. Toss dressing into salad just before serving

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
lol. That was my first instinct too triedit. Unfortunately, that's very much the last salad I brought to a party with this group. Only it was bacon, cranberries, sunflower seeds, almonds, and apple if I recall the way I did it up for Thanksgiving.

And with someone bringing a potatoe salad already, I kind of wanted to avoid the creamier dressings.

triedit

inimitable
Here's another one that would be especially good with Lobster

Cucumber, Tomato, Mint Salad

Ingredients:
  • 10 ounce goat cheese
  • 2-4 ripe tomatoes
  • 4 medium sized cucumbers, thinly sliced
  • 2 small white onion (vidalias will work great for this )
  • 1/2 cup white vinegar
  • 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • 20 mint leaves
  • salt and pepper to taste
Directions: In a large mixing bowl crumble goat cheese. Add tomatoes, cucumbers, and onions to bowl. Cut mint leaves chiffonade-style into shreds and add to salad. Add vinegar and olive oil. Mix well. Add salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate for one hour.

triedit

inimitable
I like this one with seafood too. I add a can of black beans to it (drained)

Wild Rice Salad

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup wild rice
  • 1 6-ounce jar marinated artichoke hearts, drained and halved
  • 1 6-ounce can green peas
  • 1/3 cup coarsely chopped green bell pepper
  • 3 green onions, chopped, white and green parts
  • 1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
  • 1/4 cup silvered almonds, toasted
Directions: Dressing:
1 1/3 cups canola oil
1/2 cup white vinegar
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon celery seed
1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1 clove garlic, minced
Combine all the dressing ingredients in a jar with a tight-fitting lid and shake well. Refrigerate until ready to use.
In a 1-quart pot with a lid, bring 2 cups water and the salt to a boil. Add the rice and stir well. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Drain excess liquid from the rice.
In a large bowl, combine the rice, artichoke hearts, peas, green pepper, green onions, tomatoes, reserved marinade, and half of the dressing. Toss well. Cover and chill or eat at room temperature. Just before serving, toss again and taste. Add some of the remaining dressing, if desired. Sprinkle with the almonds and serve.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
karrie Im from the south. Everything is creamy LOL

lol. I'd serve two creamy salads if it were just my thing. But, it isn't. And the people who are hosting are health nuts, avid kick boxers. They're quite health conscious, as are the majority of their friends. I don't want to be THE overweight one who showed up with yet another creamy salad. lol.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Corn and bean salad goes with anything.

INGREDIENTS

• 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
  • 1/2 cup olive oil
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
  • 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans rinsed and drained
  • 1 1/2 cups frozen corn kernels (peaches and cream)
  • 1 avocado - peeled, pitted and diced
  • 1 red bell pepper, chopped
  • 2 tomatoes, chopped
  • 6 green onions, thinly sliced
  • 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro (optional)

1. Place lime juice, olive oil, garlic, salt, and cayenne pepper in a small jar. Cover with lid, and shake until ingredients are well mixed.
  2. In a salad bowl, combine beans, corn, avocado, bell pepper, tomatoes, green onions, and cilantro. Shake lime dressing, and pour it over the salad. Stir salad to coat vegetables and beans with dressing, and serve.

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
A salad of spring greens is a heathy choice. Balsamic vinegarette is a good topper. Lots of green oinions and other veggie types too.

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
what about a nice brushetta type of salad with some lightly toasted pita shells

there's tons of recipes for that - I found one with a fruity twist:
  • 1 papaya
  • 5 roma (plum) tomatoes, diced
  • 1/2 red onion, diced
  • 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
  • 2 tablespoons white sugar
  • 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
  • 2 green onions, chopped
  • 1 French baguette, cut into 1/2 inch pieces

1. Cut papaya in half and remove seeds. Reserve 2 tablespoons of seeds for the dressing. Peel and dice the papaya, and place in a medium bowl. Add tomatoes, red onion, red pepper and basil, and set aside.
  2. In a food processor or blender, combine the papaya seeds, sugar, wine vinegar, oil, mustard and green onions. Process until smooth and thick, and most of the seeds have broken up. Pour over the papaya mixture and stir to coat all of the ingredients. Serve with slices of baguette.
** I'm not sure I'd throw the green onions in the blender with the other dressing ingredients...I think they'd be better just tossed right into the salad.

found lots for more traditional bruschetta too... google's your friend.

my gawd - lookit all the replies to this request - you've a veritable smorg of salads to choose from!

SCB

Electoral Member
Feb 21, 2008
ontario, canada
Mediterranean Spinach Salad
  • 1 tbsp Olive Oil
  • 1 tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
  • 1/2 each Green and Red Pepper
  • 1/3 Red Onion
  • 2 x Roma Tomatoes
  • 1/2 English Cucumber
  • 3/4 cup Feta Cheese, Crumbled
  • 2 x Mandarins
  • 12 ounces (350 gms) Baby Spinach

1. Combine Italian seasoning, olive oil and balsamic vinegar in a measuring cup.
  2. Whisk and set aside.
  3. Slice peppers into chunks adding to a salad bowl as you cut.
  4. Slice onion into strips and tomatoes into chunks and add to bowl.
  5. Slice cucumber into chunks and add to bowl.
  6. Add feta cheese and mandarins.
  7. Pour dressing over salad and toss to coat.
  8. Serve salad on a bed of baby spinach leaves.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
You could go with something very simple.

Iceberg lettuce, soaked in ice water, fresh tomatoes eighthed, white mushrooms, light vinegrette dressing of balsamic and ev olive oil. This will cut the buttery garlic from the lobster and provide the crunchy pallet clenser for the creamy potato salad. It's simple, very fast, other than the ice water soak which is very very important, and will be a refreshing balance to the other heavier parts of the meal.