NDP call for action against income inequality

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC
I just got a postcard in the mail today inviting a reply on whether or not I support the "NDP's call for action to reduce income inequality". Not a peep on what the nature of that action would be, so I'm not going to commit to support the call without that import bit of info. But that's not my issue here. Part of the wording goes like this: "No one working full-time should have to live below the poverty line. But that's the reality for too many working families. Successive governments have allowed the gap between the richest Canadians and the rest of us to grow." "The rest of us." Is he actually counting himself among the poor at an MP's salary of $163K a year?

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC
Is this a national thing, did the postcards go out across the country or is this something my local MP cooked up? Anybody else get one?

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Are the disabled and seniors supposed to just starve quietly to death or commit a patriotic suicide? Sorry ... there's a lot more to inequality than just working for a lousy income. Sadly, we're the easiest to ignore....

Last edited:

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I just got a postcard in the mail today inviting a reply on whether or not I support the "NDP's call for action to reduce income inequality". Not a peep on what the nature of that action would be, so I'm not going to commit to support the call without that import bit of info. But that's not my issue here. Part of the wording goes like this: "No one working full-time should have to live below the poverty line. But that's the reality for too many working families. Successive governments have allowed the gap between the richest Canadians and the rest of us to grow." "The rest of us." Is he actually counting himself among the poor at an MP's salary of $163K a year?

He probably wants the money and he will distribute it as he feels fit to do so. Oh and he will give himself another nice bump in pay with all this new money coming in.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
It's definitely an NDP thing, I was wondering how widespread it is. I'm in a riding currently held by the Federal NDP.

He's using his position in parliament to fund the post cards. Gain support while using public money

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC
Are the disabled and seniors supposed to just starve quietly to death or commit a patriotic suicide? Sorry ... there's a lot more to inequality than just working for a lousy income. Sadlym we're the easiest to ignore....

That's another point, there was no hint at all as to what sort of action I'd be supporting. Call me cynical but I'm not about to give any politician a blank cheque no matter how pressing the issue. It could end up being like signing on to support environmental responsibility only to find out they want to put me out of a job and then make me walk to the welfare office.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
That's another point, there was no hint at all as to what sort of action I'd be supporting. Call me cynical but I'm not about to give any politician a blank cheque no matter how pressing the issue. It could end up being like signing on to support environmental responsibility only to find out they want to put me out of a job and then make me walk to the welfare office.

REad the LEAP manifesto. That is where this is going. It should scare anyone into not voting dipper except freeloaders and government employees.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
REad the LEAP manifesto. That is where this is going. It should scare anyone into not voting dipper except freeloaders and government employees.

Sad part is, these dippers are like our Democrats. The more dependents they make the more votes they get. If you make government dependency comfortable then there is no need to get off of it.