National Energy Board gives conditional approval to Enbridge Line 3 expansion

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC
National Energy Board gives conditional approval to Line 3 replacement pipeline | Financial Post

This is going to be interesting. The next step in this process is to gain approval from the Liberal government. Now I believe that the Libs understand the economic benefits of increasing our oil export capabilities as good as anyone, and this particular project could be an easy sell as it's not a new pipeline but a replacement of one that's been in service since the 1960's, but I wonder if it's going to be an easy enough sell not to ruffle any environmental feathers to the point where we start to see the old political two-step. Another fly in the ointment is that in the dying days of their reign Harper's Conservative government loaded the NEB with patronage appointments which Prime Minister Trudeau wants to review.

I'd like to see this one fly, and I think the Prime Minister would too, I just wonder if it's too much to hope for.

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC
Another big "if" is the approval for the US leg of the pipeline. As it is basically a refit of an existing pipeline it doesn't require presidential approval but it is still subject to the scrutiny of regulatory boards from whom they need approval. I think there's some big politics in play south of the border too. The Keystone XL was denied approval on environmental grounds which to me was a facade of political sucking up to the environmental lobby in order to hide a healthy dose of protectionism. The amount of pipeline infrastructure recently built or being built to service the US oil industry dwarfs the Keystone XL and proceeds relatively untouched by the same reasoning used to kibosh the XL. It doesn't take a huge leap of logic to think that keeping the Keystone XL out the picture was a move to ensure a dominant market share for US oil conveniently coated in green paint.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Liberals are doing a good job on this one.

If they can coordinate discussions and get social license then a pipeline will be built.

If the go the Harper way and ignore everyone, then no pipeline will be built.

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC
It's plays well to the press. It's not a new pipeline but a replacement for an aging one that has been in service for about fifty years. Stronger pipe and new technology plays well to the environmental vote, and it close to doubles the capacity of the current pipeline which plays well to the economic health vote. Sounds like a win/win. On the Canadian side at least.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
National Energy Board gives conditional approval to Line 3 replacement pipeline | Financial Post

This is going to be interesting. The next step in this process is to gain approval from the Liberal government. Now I believe that the Libs understand the economic benefits of increasing our oil export capabilities as good as anyone, and this particular project could be an easy sell as it's not a new pipeline but a replacement of one that's been in service since the 1960's, but I wonder if it's going to be an easy enough sell not to ruffle any environmental feathers to the point where we start to see the old political two-step. Another fly in the ointment is that in the dying days of their reign Harper's Conservative government loaded the NEB with patronage appointments which Prime Minister Trudeau wants to review.

I'd like to see this one fly, and I think the Prime Minister would too, I just wonder if it's too much to hope for.

If caring about the environment is the point of the exercise then replacement of an old pipeline should appeal to all, lest that pipe break and cause an environmental disaster. Were I so inclined I might think that the extremists in the group would love to see that happen.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Liberals are doing a good job on this one.

If they can coordinate discussions and get social license then a pipeline will be built.

If the go the Harper way and ignore everyone, then no pipeline will be built.

Social licence is not required. All that is required is a leader with some balls. I doubt trudOWE is up to the task.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Fuk us they're bleeding all over the map,

Why dosn't Canada have a much better arms industry. That's the game peeples. The nice are always secure. Whatch Russia nice us out of the sphere. Und China of course and all the small fry who want to spawn someday, real growth depends on substance, we got movies